Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Charli

Water coming in!

We have had rain storms for the last couple of days with wind driving the rain almost sideways at times. Noticed today that we have water coming in from behind the fridge. The fridge and the outside wall vent are on the same side as the wind driven rain.
Is this just a case of extreme weather causing a problem or could it be an issue with poor installation or caulking around the wall panel. We just got this unit home from the dealer and haven't even had it out on our first trip yet.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
JoePK

Water

Hello, it's probably coming in through your furnace vent. I accidentally sprayed water straight at it while cleaning the trailer, and had water coming in from the fridge area.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

When the downpour eventually stops, check the fridge vent, and any other vents that happen to be on that side of the TT - including the HW heater and furnace exhaust vents. It might be worthwhile removing the covers and recaulking.

By the sounds of it, there are some areas of SK and Manitoba that have been declared as a State of Emergency due to the torrential downpours and flash surface flooding.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:24 AM   #4
Charli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
When the downpour eventually stops, check the fridge vent, and any other vents that happen to be on that side of the TT - including the HW heater and furnace exhaust vents. It might be worthwhile removing the covers and recaulking.

By the sounds of it, there are some areas of SK and Manitoba that have been declared as a State of Emergency due to the torrential downpours and flash surface flooding.
Yes Festus. That would be us. I've never seen the rain and wind last for this many days. 30-50 km winds with gusts and sporadic downpours being driven by the wind. With all the standing water give it a week and the mosquito swarms will be big enough to carry away small dogs.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Watched the football game yesterday and looks like Regina has a lot of water from some of the shots. Willypeg get the same? How is the flooding outlook?

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
Charli

31 municipalities have declared emergencies due to local flooding and the Red and Assiniboine rivers will continue to rise as all that rain makes it's way from the local creeks. The cottagers on the banks of Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg are seeing the waves from the high water levels crashing in on their properties. All in all it's a real mess.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Charli -
How's the "leak"? Anymore water coming in and did you discover where it came from?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
Charli

We had taken out a couple of drawers, one under the fridge and one further down the cabinets, and placed some towels where there was some water collecting. It wasn't a lot of water but the towels were pretty much soaked. No more water coming in now but the monsoon has stopped.
There are 2 vents for the fridge in the slide and I removed both covers and there was no evidence of water having come in. The only other vents on that side is the hot water heater and it looked dry and also the furnace. There was water behind that cover but part of that cover has an open wire mesh which is not constructed to keep water out. Behind that cover all the seams and cracks are heavily caulked and it appears water proof, although with caulking it is sometimes difficult to see cracks. Both the hot water and furnace vents are about 6 feet away from the fridge which is where the water was collecting. When it was raining I had removed the drawer under the fridge and I could see to the outside wall under the fridge and saw water dripping down so I still think it's the fridge vents.
I checked around all the slide walls from the inside and there was no water. The only other possibility is there is some caulking missing on the joint on the roof of the slide and the outside wall and the water was coming in there and leaking down behind the fridge.
I'll get up there later to check that seam. We have a few other tweaks for the dealer to fix so I'll leave it to them to find so if there is ever a problem in the future at least it's on record. Guess I'll get to find out if paying a little extra to deal local was worth it.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
JT22

Hello, I have had the exact same problem with my Passport 2650BH since I bought it in 2012. This issue is with water coming into and collecting in the furnace vent.

My fix.... not pretty but it works very well in central Florida weather. I take a white bar towel ( small dish towel) and fold it around / tuck over the vent to form a loose cover while in storage.
. The towel collects the water that would end up inside and dries out later. Remove it obviously when you're going to use the furnace or traveling.

I had the dealer check this out in 2013 and they found nothing that could be fixed.

Just an fyi....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
JT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Gaffer222

We had the same issue with water coming in the furnace exhaust/intake ports on our old HTT. I covered with silver furnace tape when not using the HTT which solved the issue.
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote