Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
walker238

How to sanitize fresh water tank on a 2014 cougar 25ret

okay i need some help .My 2014 cougar ret has a valve that you move from city water to tank fill.It has a hose fitting which i hooked a short piece of hose and conneted it to a funnel .When i tried to put some of the clorine mix in the funnel it would not go into the fresh water tank. iThink the reason it will not is that there is a pressure valve in there and it will not allow anything togo into the fresh water tank . Any ideas
Thanks
Walker238(Tom)
walker238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Tbristol

Here is what I do. I put 10 or so gallons of clean water in the tank. Now find an old rv hose, cut a length about 3ft long. You don't want no connectors. Just hose. Push one end on your funnel. Now in a gallon milk jug pour a 1/4 cup of bleach. Fill with water. Stick your house down the spout where you fill up your fresh water. Pour in the bleach mixture. Do 1 of those for every 15 gallons of capacity. Mine is 60 gallons. So I pour in 4 gallon of bleach water mixture. Now pull out hose and finish filling up fresh water tank. Now turn on pump. Run water in ever faucet until you smell bleach. Cold and hot side. Remember though, you water heater tank should still be on by pass. Once you smell bleach out of every faucet, I even do shower and toilet but it isn't necessary. Let it sit go have a beer. Next day drain fresh water tank. Fill with fresh water again. Run all faucet until you don't smell bleach. That's it. Time for another beer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
hankaye

walker238, Howdy;

Disconnect you water hose,
drain some of the water out,
pour 1/4 cup of bleach into the hose
(use the funnel, it's less messy that way),
re-attach the hose,
select TANK FILL,
turn on the water,
fill the tank ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
canesfan

x2 what hankaye said, especially if you don't have a gravity fill for your fresh tank like me. Other option is to use the fresh tank vent like I do to fill my tank when I don't have access to city water.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
walker238

thanks for the quick come back i will give this a try
Thanks Tom
walker238 is offline   Reply With Quote