Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Bob Landry

I'm just wondering why any of the makers would put a diesel with slightly more torque than a Hemi or a Ford 6.2L in a 1/2 ton truck with all of the 1/2 ton limitations. Sounds like a high torque grocery-getter to me.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Bob, I'm guessing they do it for the same reason Ford reflashed all the 6.7L diesel computers to up the HP and torque when GM came out with the Duramax with just a touch more HP and torque than Ford was advertising in 2011. Just a game of "one upsmanship"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
It may be nothing but its not an article in a blog or magazine, I did it and it is still in my driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #24
zuley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm just wondering why any of the makers would put a diesel with slightly more torque than a Hemi or a Ford 6.2L in a 1/2 ton truck with all of the 1/2 ton limitations. Sounds like a high torque grocery-getter to me.
Chrysler put the 3 litre Benz diesel into the Grand Cherokee for the model years 2007 and 2008. I have worked for a Chrysler store for 30 years. Every GC we sold in 08 was an oil burner. We could not keep them on the lot. I ended up purchasing the last one we got in. And yes, we use it as a daily driver/ grocery getter; albeit one that gets 30 mpg and 700 km to a tank of fuel. My previous Jeep got 18 mpg and we were lucky to get 400 km to a tank of fuel. I did the math prior to purchasing this thing and I believe the payback was 3 years for the upstroke on the cost of the diesel. I'm thinking you will see the same thing once the Ram oil burner hits the lots. People are going to be buying them as daily drivers because of the increase in fuel economy. It looks as though the tow ratings are going to be very similar between the Hemi and the diesel, I believe 11,500 pounds for the 2014 Rams, if what I read today was correct. 17% of all new vehicles sold in Canada are pick up trucks. That is the largest model segment. I suspect Ford and GM are now scrambling to come out with their own half ton diesel. I recently purchased a new goat with a Hemi. I had to do a lot of soul searching trying to decide whether to hold off until September or October or whenever and go the diesel route. However, I need the truck now hence the Hemi. I am getting about 13 mpg towing and 20 mpg combined non towing based on a Canadian gallon. Not going to do the math but when you factor diesel at 10 cents per litre cheaper than gas and another 5 mpg it would not take a whole heap of time to pay the upstroke.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Okay ... I'll buy the million miles but 20mpg towing is stretching it a little.
Yeah, that's a given. They probably just misquoted him or a misprint. He probably said something like he got around 20 going down hill and empty.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
It may be nothing but its not an article in a blog or magazine, I did it and it is still in my driveway.

Wasn't discounting the fact that your truck does have that on the odometer. That wasn't just a blog or magazine article. I remember seeing the story in a national newspaper(USA Today?) when it was first reported. A million is just more than 660,000, that's all I was referring to. Nothing personal.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #27
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
Wasn't discounting the fact that your truck does have that on the odometer. That wasn't just a blog or magazine article. I remember seeing the story in a national newspaper(USA Today?) when it was first reported. A million is just more than 660,000, that's all I was referring to. Nothing personal.
I had one in our fleet hit 1,000,000 and two go over 750,000. I recently sold one out of the fleet that is pushing 650,000, my neighbor drives it every day. That kind of mileage is routine not news worthy. 1,000,000 is an awesome milestone and my old Cummins will make it if I live long enough to do it. It is no longer my everyday driver and I don't let anybody else drive it. The man at Cummins told me that the body would fall of the chassis before I could wear out the engine and the man from Chrysler assured me that I would get tired of driving it before that happened. Well, it's sort of like asking how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know. Until then, I will hang my hat on my own personal experience. But in a round about way, you are saying this new Eco diesel should be fine as well. My comment was that I didn't like diesels with more than one row of pistons, and your comment reassures us that a V- diesel can make it. Sounds like a win/win for Ram.
Where are the peanuts from the anti diesel crowd?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #28
SAABDOCTOR

Oh boy an fiat diesel I'll keep my cummins!:
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Oh boy an fiat diesel I'll keep my cummins!:
I believe that this is a joint venture corporation between Government motors (GM) and Fiat.
This little diesel will also be used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee too.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #30
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I believe that this is a joint venture corporation between Government motors (GM) and Fiat.
This little diesel will also be used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee too.

Jim W.
The engine is built by VM Motori. GM has nothing to do with them. Actually, Detroit Diesel holds a large piece of them. Detroit is no longer owned by GM.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #31
BeerCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
The engine is built by VM Motori. GM has nothing to do with them. Actually, Detroit Diesel holds a large piece of them. Detroit is no longer owned by GM.

According to the company website they are 50% owned by GM
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/00/01/11/index.jsp
Quote:
A new product line of a V6, 3.0L displacement engine is launched in 2011, adding a new class of vehicle applications such as luxury SUV’s and large top-of-class sedan, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Lancia Thema. Further development of the RA428 engine results in a Euro 5 high performance engine named A428, mounted on the traditional Jeep SUV Cherokee and Wrangler, as well as the newly launched Lancia Voyager. The ownership structure changes: Fiat Group purchases the 50% share previously owned by Penske Corporation. VM is today a 50:50 Joint Venture between GM and Fiat Group.
BeerCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
According to the company website they are 50% owned by GM
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/00/01/11/index.jsp
They must have acquired them within the past couple of years. I had a VM in a '06 Liberty and at that time it was held by Detroit. Has GM re acquired Detroit?