Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
GaryWT

Got to love this...

While towing today, first few miles on the high we get cut off about 3 times. Got to pass the trailer just to pull of the highway. Anyway, the funny one, car pulling onto the highway but not going to yield so the speed up to pull on in front of me. As soon as they are in front the hit the breaks causing me to hit the brakes hard. No one in front of them, I tap the horn so they will keep moving. Well you would have thought I commited a crime. I got flipped off a number of times and who knows what else the motion and hands flying was crazy. When an opening happened I moved over to pass. As I pass I had the laugh, the lady was in her 70's if not 80's. never been flipped off by a lady that age but it gave me a smile each time I thought about it. The rest of the ride was uneventful.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Dhuhn

Gary that's funny about the old lady, but I know what you mean about people cutting you off, there are a lot of inconciderate people on the road that only think about themselves, that's why we have to be defensive and to expect the unexpected.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
crash

I hate it when you pass someone and then they pass you right back and slow down,you go to pass them agian and they speed up like they dont want to be stuck behind a slow camper but they are the ones going slower then the slow camper
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
f6bits

Fortunately, most of my camping is on familiar roads and I've gotten a feel for the rhythm of the traffic. Knowing which lane to be in at the right times and where to hang back has helped make for a smoother trip.

I've only been cut off once, but that person was going so fast, they were out of my way pretty quickly.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
azlee56

On our trip to Texas a couple of weeks ago, we were going through El Paso and this stupid vehcile went pass their exit, or at least they were thinking they did and stopped to a dead stop right in front of us. BF hit the brakes hard, he is convinced they wanted to be hit (which we didn't do). I going to put a sticker on the RV that says something about go around us and stop, you will have a quick trip to eternity.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Essness

I always try to hang in the far right lane. Unfortunately it appears to be more dangerous than the far left lane just because people have completely lost the idea of the "acceleration ramp". I was taught to use that lane/ramp to safely match my speed to the existing traffic and then merge.
Really dont know what happen to that concept?
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
GaryWT

Scot, I agree what happened to that. Unfortunately for me I live near a terrible highway route 128 northeastern Mass. Old small bad ramps needs paving just terrible. Anyway ride home was good
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
wva3185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essness View Post
I always try to hang in the far right lane. Unfortunately it appears to be more dangerous than the far left lane just because people have completely lost the idea of the "acceleration ramp". I was taught to use that lane/ramp to safely match my speed to the existing traffic and then merge.
Really dont know what happen to that concept?
Nor do they understand the concept of the deceleration ramp either. Many slow to a crawl to get on the off ramp. I agree on the acceleration ramp as well.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
allmi01

I couldn't let this one go. I drive about 95 miles each way to work and back 3 days a week. Of teh 95, 85 are on Interstates. The closer you get to a major metropolitan area, the crazier the drivers. It's worse around bedroom communities and white collar office areas.

The worst are (and I hate to say it this way but..) drivers fo Honda's, Toyota's, Lexus, then the german imports.

I've had people (both men and women equally) try to push me in my F350 dually out of the right lane merging with Honda Fit's and Accords. What are they thinking?

It gets worse with the TT in tow.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

route 128 in car is bad enough but a camper when the idiot stops in front of you ya think what is goin through your mind.... oh yea my bumper!!!!! be careful out there Today is stupid driver friday!!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Pawpod

Don't forget "I got no brain saterday", hungover Monday, Texting Tuesday, " just to name a few more bad driver days
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
suza

In Oregon, we had "stupid driver Monday" last week. I wasn't towing, but went to run a bunch of errands before leaving town. Cars were cutting in front of me without even a look, turning without signaling, and running red lights. I was worn out by the time I got home.

Here's another annoying thing that "drives" me nuts:

I spend the majority of my driving on a 10 mile stretch of a two lane highway between our house and town. It is mostly curvey with a few straight stretches with room to pass. Since this is a major link from I-5 to the coast, we get a lot of out-of-area drivers. It is so frustrating when you get behind one of these driving 40 MPH, or less (most of the road is drivable at 55 MPH, with a few 40-50 MPH curves). I could be patient with them taking to corners slow, but when they speed up to 60-70 MPH on the straightaways, it is impossible to get by them.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
dandjh1958

I agree with Suza.... if you are going to the coast, one lane means 40-45 mph- two lanes means 65-75 mph AND you have to slam on your brakes when it goes back down to one lane.
It's gotta be all those mushrooms in the hills on the way to the coast......

But once you get to the coast, it's all worth it! Love Love Love the Oregon Coast!!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote