Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
ScottH

Which number is my "length?"

Greetings again oh sage-like RVers.

DW and I just bought a Cougar 29RBKWE, which we will drag home in the morning, and we're looking for places nearby for weekends to start our education.

Some parks have maximum trailer lengths, so I need to know what "they" are likely to classify my trailer as.

It is a 29' travel trailer, but with hitch it is 31.5'. Which number should I think they are referring to?

So excited to bring our new baby home in the AM. I will be selling video of me trying to back it into my driveway, or for only $19.99 you can watch live on the web (just kidding ;-)

Cheers!
Scott and Bonnie
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
TAZ23

Acording to Keystones web site the 29RBKWE has a over all length of 32' 6". That is the number that I would go with. In our local parks around here they want to know the length from bumper to hitch. You would not want to try to Sqeeze your new trailer into a site that is not quite big enough and maybe have the hitch to close to the road. I have also found (and this is just my opinion) that it is better to have a site that is a little bigger than you need, instead of one that you just fit into. The extra room helps to avoid feeling "boxed in." Hope this helps. Good luck bringing your new baby home and have fun camping.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
GaryWT

My box is 31 domething and overall we are 35. I tell campgrounds I am 35 to get a bigger site in most cases. There is one campground that says 32 foor max so I emailed them for a definition and they sade box size so I can go there is I want, will probably be tight though. A friend of mine use to say 28 rather than 32 and they would give min so small sites.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
f6bits

As others have said, it's the overall length.

Not only does it matter for fitting into a spot, but some campground roads aren't big enough to handle trailers over X number of feet. You either can't make a turn, or the road is too narrow to back into a spot.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
ScottH

Thank you!

Awesome answers. These all coincide with my intuition, and it makes good sense: if I tell someone 29, I could get into trouble; if I use the larger number, there's no way to have a problem :-)
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Badboy

I all way's go with the larger number the over all length.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
KJcachers

We always go larger on the site as we have a crew cab truck and that thing takes up a lot of space too!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

all great advice! and my check is in the mail can't wait for the video. i remember my first backing in experiance, that gave the neighbors something to laugh about for months. i'll be laughing with you. also rember it gets easier with practice! (that's what i've been told anyway)
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
crash

I would tell them 35 to give you more room,But in my case I tell them 40ft because some places if you tell them 42ft they say we dont have nothing to fit you,and when we get there our 42 goes right in with room to spareso 40ft always works for me
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote