Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
ftroop82

Converting to Solar Power

Ok to start I have bought 1-TM-2025-RV-F Trimetric Meter w/ Enclosur battery monitor & 500A, 50mV Shunt , 1-100-Watt Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel (5.42 A), 1-Morningstar PS-15 Prostar Charge Controller, & 1-2000 watt modified sine inverter, also I have 2-6volt golf cart batteries. I also would like the solar panel to be mobile so that I can move it in theopen spaces for better sun since we camp mostly in the wooded mountain areas. Now the question is after the installation of the above materials can the rv 30 amp plug be plugged int the inverter to run the lights, microwave, tv, etc. if I switch the refrigd. to only gas?
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Let's start with your 100w solar panel. IF you are able to find enough sun in wooded mountain areas so that it will keep your 2 6v batteries fully charged for most of the time, then you are off to a decent start. Mind you, a single 100w solar panel, for what you are expecting from it, isn't really enough. It may put out 5.4A under optimum conditions.

Your 2000w inverter may be rated for that wattage but it won't function under load at 2000w. I am guessing that you might get 1750-1800w out of it. By the time you turn on the microwave (with the converter, fridge and sensors silently draining your battery in the background), you may be already near the limit and having the micro on will really drain your batteries.

You spoke of lights, microwave, tv, etc. I hope you don't plan on having all of these things on at once. If you don't have LED lights - which you should if you plan on dry camping - your incandescent lights will draw more than you think.

If you plan on running this system through your RV's converter, that too needs power and will draw more amps from your battery/inverter.

Don't forget about your water pump. Every time you turn it on, there's another drain.

Personally, I don't think that this setup will do what you expect it to do. One, 110w solar panel is not enough - and its operation depends upon sunlight. Without it, you are pretty much hooped if you hope to keep those 6 volts fully charged >>>> inverter.

Switching the fridge to gas might result in some saving - but don't forget that it also requires 12v to operate. So you are not home free here.

I may be totally wrong in my assessment of your set up but I have a set up similar to yours but it just isn't capable of doing what you are thinking about.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

A good rule of thumb is that a solar panel will deliver its rated current for four hours a day, in good sun.

So you can generate 4 x 5.42 = 22 amp-hours per day. Standard RV lights might draw 3 amps for 4 hours---that's 12 of the 22 right there.

The microwave draws 100 amps for 3 minutes or 0.05 hour = 5 amp-hours.

The fridge---even in propane mode---may draw 0.5 amp x 24 hours = 12 amp-hours.

So you can already see that Festus is right---100W of panels would not be enough for continuous boondocking. However, it might be acceptable for weekend use.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post

So you can already see that Festus is right---100W of panels would not be enough for continuous boondocking. However, it might be acceptable for weekend use.
x2 100W might be acceptable IF the panel was exposed to the sun for most of the days AND you were very frugal with your lights, pump, and kept the TV watching to a minimum. I'd keep a really close eye on your battery condition - don't forget you have to bring the slides in before leaving!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
ftroop82

Do I have to use twisted pair wires to connect the Trimetric 2025-rv to the shunt?
ftroop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
JeffreyBrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
Ok to start I have bought 1-TM-2025-RV-F Trimetric Meter w/ Enclosur battery monitor & 500A, 50mV Shunt , 1-100-Watt Monocrystalline PV solar panel (5.42 A), 1-Morningstar PS-15 Prostar Charge Controller, & 1-2000 watt modified sine inverter, also I have 2-6volt golf cart batteries. I also would like the solar panel to be mobile so that I can move it in theopen spaces for better sun since we camp mostly in the wooded mountain areas. Now the question is after the installation of the above materials can the rv 30 amp plug be plugged int the inverter to run the lights, microwave, tv, etc. if I switch the refrigd. to only gas?
I am bit worried about the expense..I think it is too expensive to generate electricity from these panels? I am not sure so can you help me with your experience
JeffreyBrock is offline   Reply With Quote