Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Txreds

28rbs

Can you guys who own a 28RBS let me know how it tows and what you are pulling it with? I have done the search and it looks like quite a few new ones were bought recently but the guys may not have had the time to give an update.
Txreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
nvdiver

I just bought 2012 28RBS and pulled it with my 2011 Yota Tundra with no problem. Use a 1000 pds. rated WDH and you will not have problem with swaying, level ride, and not bouncing around the road everytime you hit a bump. Sometimes I forget I'm hauling the trailer...
nvdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
geeman

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crewcab 4x4 with the 5.3. Tends to pull just fine. Long hauls at high interstate speeds, I would rather have a 2500 duramax. Just wants to shift way down and scream.

2 lane highways, pull all day long.......
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Kettleby_Cruiser

Thumbs up

One of these days I'd love to trade up to an F250 or F350 but for now our 2010 F150 5.4L does the job well enough. Setup with an equal-I-zer 1,200/12,000 lbs unit, and the truck is all stock except the Michelin M/S2's (LT275 65R18 load E) that I recently upgraded the stock tires to. So far no issues with any sway from opposing truck traffic, and so far we have not been passed by a big rig to see what happens.

We have done a few weekend trips now (about 100 miles away) and I'm really happy with our setup...the truck pulls well and can easily maintain 60mph cruising speed. On some big hills the tranny stays in the lower gears and revs to 5k rpm to maintain speed (always in tow-haul mode). The tranny and engine temps always stayed in the normal range.

The real test will be when we hit some real mountain roads out west this summer.

Hope you find what works for you and happy trails.

...Chuck

Kettleby Cruisers
2010 F150 Lariat SCrew 4x4, 5.4L
2013 Keystone Cougar XLite 28RBS
2011 Rockwood 2317G
2000 Jayco Quest 29E
Kettleby_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
cjm

I use a 2012 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. Tows like a dream! Longest trip so far was 4500km, so I've had the opportunity to play.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
wildbill13

We pull a '13 28RBSWE with a F-150 EcoBoost w/ tow pkg using an Equalizer WDH.

It is awesome, no issues travelling at highway speeds, keeping up with traffic, and easily pass big trucks on the climbs. We've put 2500 miles on it since March. Just finished a 2 week Seattle-British Columbia-Alberta-Montana-Idaho trip. That's crossing the continental divide 4 times with no issues. On the steepest grades (8%) I dropped down to 3rd and kept it at 3K RPM to hold around 50 mph. The Tow/Haul mode is really nice on the downhills. We get around 9mpg @ 60mph.
wildbill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
davidjsimons

I tow mine with a Cummins powered Ram 3500. The biggest issue I have is remembering that it is back there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
dschamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill13 View Post
We pull a '13 28RBSWE with a F-150 EcoBoost w/ tow pkg using an Equalizer WDH.

It is awesome, no issues travelling at highway speeds, keeping up with traffic, and easily pass big trucks on the climbs. We've put 2500 miles on it since March. Just finished a 2 week Seattle-British Columbia-Alberta-Montana-Idaho trip. That's crossing the continental divide 4 times with no issues. On the steepest grades (8%) I dropped down to 3rd and kept it at 3K RPM to hold around 50 mph. The Tow/Haul mode is really nice on the downhills. We get around 9mpg @ 60mph.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the 28RBSWE and will be towing with my 2011 F-150 Super Crew FX4 with tow package and the EcoBoost. Pulls my 5,000# boat with no problems, so am not concerned about the pulling power. Planning on getting a WDH...anything else I need to be concerned about like mirror extensions, tires...?
dschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
twstdpear

We pull a 2013 28RBS with a 2008 Toyota Tundra Limited Dual Cab and standard bed. The wheelbase is 145", IIRC. For the hitch, I'm using a 10000lb Equalizer.

The combination tows very well. We live in VA near DC, have been all over VA , including some of the mountainy areas and even recently completed a trip to FL.

My only reservation is that the tongue weight on the 28RBS is *really* heavy for this size trailer (~1000lbs with battery and two 30lb LP tanks, but otherwise empty). I'm still right around 950-1000lbs fully loaded with all the heavy stuff in the rear storage bin.

That puts me right at my payload limit (1430lbs) once you add passengers, even though I have at least 2100lbs rated tow capacity remaining 10300lbs minus 8200GVWR). To help compensate, the truck bed is usually empty or only holds the kids' bikes and I make good use of the huge rear storage compartment. That's where my Camp-Chef 2-burner and all the cast iron goes (griddles, frying pans and dutch ovens). My "truck box" sits on the floor in the bathroom to remove it as truck payload.

DW gets the next vehicle, so I'm at least two years before I can upgrade to a 3/4 ton for the additional payload, since I'd prefer to have more of a safety cushion.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
MacinAfgn

I tow my new 28RBS with a 6.2L GMC Yukon. I use a weight Distribution Hitch with a sway bar. I find the sway bar makes a huge difference in how it tows and I feel my Yukon Denali pulls very well. I limit myself to 65 MPH but clearly I can go faster.
MacinAfgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Kettleby_Cruiser

28RBS cross country (10,800km) camping trip

We are very happy with our 2013 28RBS cougar xLite, and just completed a cross country trip with no issues with either our tow vehicle or trailer

Before the trip I upgraded the stock tires to Michelin M/S2 Load E rated tires and upgraded the front rotors and pads to heavy duty service parts.

Although our 2010 F150 (5.4L 4x4 Screw)came with the tow package I still needed to swap out the stock mirrors to the extendable tow mirrors.

Our truck is set up with a 1,200/12,000Lbs Equalizer hitch system.

The truck tow capacity is 9,600Lbs with a max CGVW rating of 15,500Lbs

The trailer has a dry wieght of 6,300lbs (8,200lbs gvw) and I estimated that we had about 1,000lbs of cargo in the trailer...so towing about 7,300lbs.

I kept the bed of the truck basically empty and stored all my tools and cargo in the trailer's rear cargo bay.

We started our 5 week road trip from Kettleby Ontario (~30km N of Torono) and our main destination points (stayed a min. of 3-4 nights)were:

1) Killbear Provincial Park, Parry Sound ON
2) Lake Superior Prov. Park, S of Wawa ON
3) Tunnel Mountain RV Park, Banff AB
4) Whistlers Campground, Jasper AB
5) Whistler RV Campground, Whistler BC
6) Bella Pacifica Campground, Tofino(Vancouver Island) BC
7) Grizzly RV Campground, West Yellowstone MT, USA
8) Chutes Prov. Park, Massey ON on our finnal leg home.

We stayed at many other campgrounds for just 1 night as we were traveling to our main destination point.

Overall the truck performed beyond my expectations as a 1/2 ton and I was able to easily maintain the 110km/hr speed limit (cruising with the traffic at 120-125 km/hr) on the Trans Canada HWY 1 thru the prairie provinces and the Alberta flats.

On the US I90 thru WA, Idao, Montana, and I94 thru North Dakota the truck had no problems maintaining the 75mi/hr speed limit (@2500-3000rpms) on the flats and obviously worked hard on the 6-8% or more on uphill grades and easily went at the pace of any transport truck ahead of us...going downhill was always half the fun.

With over 10,800km (6,480mi) we never experienced any significant sway passing or being passed by huge transport trucks...slowed down when we ran into cross winds going thru Vantage WA.

In my opinion our most difficult drive was the section from Lillooet BC to Whistler BC thru a narrow winding, down hill, single-lane swing bridges section of Hwy 99...The tranny and breaks got a real workout and I was happy that I serviced and upgraded the front brakes before our trip...after that run every other mountain pass was a breeze...even the drive from Naniamo BC to Tofino on the Pacific Ocean side of the Island.

Would we do the trip again? Yep in a heartbeat, great experience for the whole family and got to see much of our two great countries

And to answer the original question ....the 28rbs is a great travel trailer to tow as long as you have your hitch WD system setup optimally and your truck is up to the task.

Sorry to be long winded, and hopefully some of this info is helpfull to someone planing a similar trip.

Happy camping all......Chuck.

Kettleby Cruisers
2010 F150 Lariat SCrew 4x4, 5.4L
2013 Keystone Cougar XLite 28RBS
2011 Rockwood 2317G
2000 Jayco Quest 29E
Kettleby_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=Kettleby_Cruiser;92447]

On the US I90 thru WA, Idao, Montana, and I94 thru North Dakota the truck had no problems maintaining the 75mi/hr speed limit (@2500-3000rpms) on the flats and obviously worked hard on the 6-8% or more on uphill grades and easily went at the pace of any transport truck ahead of us...going downhill was always half the fun.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure at what speed your tires are rated for but if you are driving at 125 km/hr (75 mph) in Alberta and 75 mph in the flats of WA, ID, MO and ND, I would guess that you are driving beyond the 65 mph rating of your tires.