Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Badboy

Brakes

I have a Cougar travel trailer,two blocks from home this weekend brakes went out on trailer tried using them manually no luck still no brakes,dose this mean that the brake unit went bad.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
Jim W

Ron,

Have you done any diagnostic work to find out what the issue could be? Depending on what brake controller there maybe diagnostic lights/nomenclature that may indicate what the issue is. I know my controller will tell me if there is no connection to the brakes. There could be a cut wire either brake or ground that could be causing your issue.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Badboy

Thanks Jim I have a friend who is going to come over tonight and check it out for me cause I have to work.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

This work stuff cuts into the fun stuff. one quick check have someone step on the brakes with the key on. do you have voltage at the wire goiing into one of the brake drums? if no go to the plug on you tv and check for power at the plug. if yes the problem is from the cord to the brakes if no poer the problem is in the truck. check all your fuses in the truck not just the ones for brakes or trailer. if all the fuses are good time to check the controller. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Badboy

Thanks Barney,and yes this work stuff dose cut into my fun.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

HI RON In all the years doing electrical work on cars. I have found this to help. start at then end. power yes or no. if yes have a beer if no go to the begining ( the power source) if no buy a new battery ha ha if yes, co to the middle of the circut power yes go half way to the end. if no go half way back and you will find the open. in your case the end is the brake drums on the trailer. the middle is the 7 pin plug the source is the fuse box half way to the plug is the controler half way after the plug is the junction box in the pin box 5th wheel) or under the frame (tt) have fun
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
hankaye

Badboy, Howdy;

Fastest and cleanest way to 'see' if Breaks are functional is dig out your
compass (thing we all used before GPS), have friend/DW/DGF/ST (stubborn teenager), turn key to the run position (aka KOEO), with engine off, hold compass near on of the breaks, have helper step on Breaks. If needle swings to the break it works, if not it doesn't. repeat for all wheels.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote