Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
DennisT

Sleeping on converted dinette cushions: improvements? I hope !

In our 2009 Springdale 266, I sleep occasionally on the dinette table with the surrounding seat cushions appropriately laid for the, "mattress." Ha. We all know how swell that is for a good night's sleep. Not great for my retirement aged back.

It would be better if the cushions did not move around and separate during the night.

I'm thinking about a cut-to-fit layer of some kind of foam that could be put down over the seat cushions, then rolled up and stowed during the day.

Have any of you dealt with this issue? Better ideas?

The couch/hide-a-bed that came with this TT is worse than dinette sleeping.

Thank you,
Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Andymon

We have an 08 26RLS. We plan on replacing the foam in the dinette with a much better grade. We also will replace the mattress in the hide-a-bed with an air mattress as well as an air mattress in the bedrrom with a piece of memory foam. Perhaps a pice of memory foam on top of the dinette cushion?

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
I'm thinking about a cut-to-fit layer of some kind of foam that could be put down over the seat cushions, then rolled up and stowed during the day.
Dennis, That's exactly what we did with our last TT and it helped quite a bit. It also helps if you can arrange the cushions so they run perpendicular to the side of the "bed" rather than parallel to it. If you set them up parallel, the outer one can slip off during the night.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
DennisT

bed

Bill: Ha. I never thought of turning the bottom cushions right-angles like that. It's a good idea.

So you did have one large piece of foam cut like I plan.... Where/what foam exactly did you get? "Memory," foam?

I doubt we will ever use the hide-a-bed. And I only need to, "improve," one secondary sleeping area. Whichever is best to improve.

When we got the TT, we immediately went out and got a $500, full depth, high-quality, real mattress for the main bed. It's a couple inches longer, which makes it narrow for getting around the bed, but it's now a better bed than at home. Downside is that my wife needs a little step stool in the doorway of the, "bedroom," to get onto the bed. (Went from a 3-inch thick fake mattress to a 14-inch thick mattress) A far cry from the worthless mattress that came with the TT, and worth the extra bulk the new mattress presents in the little bedroom.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
Bill: Ha. I never thought of turning the bottom cushions right-angles like that. It's a good idea.

So you did have one large piece of foam cut like I plan.... Where/what foam exactly did you get? "Memory," foam?
First, I can't take credit for the cushion arrangement idea. I got that from another person who owned a TT like ours at the time.

The foam we used was a pretty inexpensive yellow foam pad made for a double or queen bed that we bought somewhere like Wal-Mart locally. It was only an inch or two thick, was smooth on one side, and had some areas of "egg crate" and areas of ridges on the other side. We put the smooth side down because it felt a little stickier and I thought it would help hold the cushions in place better.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
jergeod

How about a air mattress, just picked one up at walmart for our dinette $17 for a full size, already had the electric pump.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
JENNIFER_SUSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
How about a air mattress, just picked one up at walmart for our dinette $17 for a full size, already had the electric pump.

i think air mattress is a good solution.
JENNIFER_SUSAN is offline   Reply With Quote