Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2022, 06:02 AM   #21
Rocketsled

Hard to tell what the front end looks like with all that deathwobble.

(right back atcha! )
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #22
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Hard to tell what the front end looks like with all that deathwobble.

(right back atcha! )
Solid trade off. Keeps Ford from using 50 square feet of chromed plastic that would vibrate off.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:02 AM   #23
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Solid trade off. Keeps Ford from using 50 square feet of chromed plastic that would vibrate off.
Ngl, ford’s got solid sunroof game.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:44 AM   #24
pawpaw

Best tow vehicle I've ever driven for 5th wheel campers. '17 F350 6.7 with 4.10 gearing. Safe and stable. Used it for 4-1/2 yrs as my daily driver.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #25
meaz93*

I just purchased a 2021 F250 6.7....and it is a Beast> love it.
I am pretty brand loyal....more a Ford man, but I will say the GMC Denali 2500 is a very nice vehicle. We've owned a couple gas Denali SUV's, but never owned a Ram other than my ProMaster business van.
I would not have had a problem owning either one. Just not a big fan of both their tow mirror setups.
I test drove the Ram 3500 because that's the only way to get the H.O. Cummins.....the wife liked the ride of the Ram 2500 instead.
All 3 diesels are more than capable, I guess it comes down to personal taste[emoji106] ....and payload numbers[emoji6]
BTW....nice truck!
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #26
Rocketsled

Was: New Tow vehicle, Now: receiver hitch factor of safety

We bought a new TV. We made promises that we'd transfer hitches from one truck to the other (both GM products, Hitch on the old TV is a 2700 rated unit)

Whelp, turns out they redesigned everything and the old Chevy Hitch won't work with the new GMC TV. New GMS TV's receiver is a 2000 lb rated hitch.

I've done all the CAT Scale stuff, so I have accurate overall weights (Trailer floats between 11,000 and 12,500 depending on load), but actual hitch weights are estimated by a Better Weigh dongle. It's seen anywhere from 1400 lbs to 1750 lbs.

So I've never exceeded the 2000lb weight, but I've never hauled the Motorcycle, either (850 Lb BMW K1600GTL)...I'd imagine since it's on the other side of the axle, it would, if anything, take weight off the hitch.

So, we're already on the hook for a Tonneau Cover...am I also on the hook for a 2500+ rated hitch?
Old 06-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #27
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
the only thing that scares me about ford is if i decided to keep the truck for a long long time and god forbid needed to replace the engine …id be stuck with the dealer because the entire cab has to be removed to replace the engine…i just rebuilt my old hemi and did the job myself…don’t think id tackle removing a cab…although it would be easy after that …hmmmm

if i was keeping the truck less then ten years it probably wouldn’t matter
I hate to tell you, but replacing the Cummins engine on an older Ram wasn’t much better. I had to replace the engine block on our 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 because it had a cold joint crack that was a well known problem by Dodge at that time. In order to get the block out, you had to lift the block slightly, drop the oil pan, and then finish lifting out the block (of course, disconnect everything else, but the sequence with the oil pan was…interesting). I always hated that engineering portion whenever that gasket had to be replaced too, which was every couple of years. And that was back when engines weren’t as crammed into the space like they are now.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:42 AM   #28
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
the only thing that scares me about ford is if i decided to keep the truck for a long long time and god forbid needed to replace the engine …id be stuck with the dealer because the entire cab has to be removed to replace the engine…i just rebuilt my old hemi and did the job myself…don’t think id tackle removing a cab…although it would be easy after that …hmmmm

if i was keeping the truck less then ten years it probably wouldn’t matter
There are plenty of shops that can swap motors without being at the dealer and usually as long as it is a competent/real shop, there's no warranty problems. All the shops that "bulletproof" trucks pull the cab. Supposedly it is simpler than you think. Still spooky though.

Griz
Houston, TX
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I hate to tell you, but replacing the Cummins engine on an older Ram wasn’t much better. I had to replace the engine block on our 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 because it had a cold joint crack that was a well known problem by Dodge at that time. In order to get the block out, you had to lift the block slightly, drop the oil pan, and then finish lifting out the block (of course, disconnect everything else, but the sequence with the oil pan was…interesting). I always hated that engineering portion whenever that gasket had to be replaced too, which was every couple of years. And that was back when engines weren’t as crammed into the space like they are now.
yeah my 2005 ram 2500 had an enormous amount of space under the hood it seemed like..but i never pulled the motor..5.9 cummins …my new truck?…not so much
Old 06-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
There are plenty of shops that can swap motors without being at the dealer and usually as long as it is a competent/real shop, there's no warranty problems. All the shops that "bulletproof" trucks pull the cab. Supposedly it is simpler than you think. Still spooky though.

Griz
it would be really nice working on the engine with all that extra space….i’m sure they have wiring harnesses and cables that disconnect fairly easy to make it less complicated