Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Orangegeek

Slide out is making wall move....

Hi all! I have a 2018 keystone sprinter limited 312mls travel trailer. I've had nothing but trouble with this dran thing since day one. We had the living room floor separate from the wall. Screws completely sheared off. There was a hole in the main living area floor. The black tank leaked, warped the bottom cover. Toilet flange broke. Oil leaked from slide out motors.they put in trays underneath.. There's more, but I'm not in the mood to list it all. But it's been in the service shop more than we have had it! So frustrating! Last time they had it, they didn't winterize it and I had to replace the kitchen faucet. They said it was my fault thst it wasn't winterized. Even though it was in their shop! So, my wife and I were going to use it and we were just testing everything..

The slide out with the outside TV, stove and stuff by the door.. Made a squeaking sound. When I close it, about 1/2 way to 3/4 way to the end it pushes out the wall by the door, and makea. It really moves. So I went to the other side.. In between the kitchen and the TV stand. There's a crack in the wall above the mount for the cables. I'll add a picture..

It's obviously out of warranty. Any idea of what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220609_205459.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	40213   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1204013600_19700119_204029__01.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	40214  
Orangegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Trade it in, let it become the dealers issue. Hopefully they don’t hide it and pass it onto the next owner.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I’m sorry your having so many issues, I just afraid that trading it in will pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer. There are way too many posts on this forum about unscrupulous dealers, not to say there aren’t some good ones as I worked for one for 5 1/2 years.

Without being there to watch it, I’m afraid the fix isn’t cheap or easy. We just dealt with a Montana that the wall in the kitchen moved about 2” when you ran the slide. Found broken welds in the frame, fixed that and it still moved. Ended up taking the slide out and found the screws holding the cable mechanism bent and loose. Just removing/reinstalling the slide was 10hrs labor.

In the end, it’s your choice, but I’ll venture a guess that if you trade it in, the dealer will just “cover” the crack and let the next buyer pay the bill for repair.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:41 PM   #4
Orangegeek

Thanks

Well, that's what I was afraid off. I don't know who to trust anymore. Like I said, it's been nothing but trouble.

Thanks for the advice, help and thoughts.

Appreciate it.
Orangegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #5
bsmith0404

I don’t know about you, but I’m not about to keep something that is having those kinds of problems and possibly cause me thousands of dollars, but never get properly repaired just because I’m worried that the dealer will put a band aid on it and pass it onto the next person.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback quality View Post
the keystone CABLE SLIDES are absolute junk,nothing but trouble ,many parts slapped together out of alignment ,crooked,my rv repair shop curses them constantly

Just as clarification the cable slides aren't "Keystone", they are made by BAL/Norco and installed on some Keystone RVs as well as other brands. I think the luck with cable slides, as with every other transport system used for slides, varies from owner to owner, trailer to trailer, brand to brand. As an example my service manager holds them in high regard, same for a dealer that I talked to in FL. Both had low opinions of Schwintek. In all the cable slides I've had the only problem has been with frayed darco over the wear bar which IS a Keystone problem as they are the ones that choose the covering for the bottom of the slide. An individual problem does not condemn an entire brand, manufacturer etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
i did not say keystone made them,the cable slides are still JUNK,ask any shop,the dealer i know has a list of trailers that use cable slides and actually avoid taking them on trade.Many people now know to avoid buying a used trailer with cable slides,especially larger slides with cables.
Many problems with them:
cables grind through rubber or even wall material.
some are misaligned in build from new -good luck adjusting after.
cables stretch.
a lot of pulley bracket problems mounted in walls ripping wall or slide apart .
the slide itself with cable system isnt really held in place like with other systems and can float around on bumps etc and cause it to be out of place .
motor and gear box problems.

some older models like keystone big toyhaulers only had cable slide on up front bedroom slide that didnt seem to bad,but the last few years cable slides on big slide like living dinette very common to rip wall apart being a unit with less strength.

almost any dealer dreads seeing a cable slide problem and or taking them on trade.Its common knowledge that they are junk system.

I understand you don't like your trailer, and you've had problems with it, but your Outback has cable slides. If all those horrific things are wrong with them, they are the worst junk etc. - and you knew and thought that - why in the world would you buy a trailer with 3 slides that has it??

Maybe the folks where you are hate cable slides and it's "common knowledge" there but I've not talked to a dealer that did. They WILL tell you they can be a lot of work and expensive if an owner doesn't stay on top of adjustments etc. And, I've not met a dealer yet (GMs/SMs (sales and service) that blink about trading for a trailer with cable slides. It seems like your unhappiness with your particular trailer has you trying to paint anything and everything about "it" with a broad brush that then takes in every other trailer made...I would disagree.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
and YES....my 3 cable slide outback is a abosolute POS.....and i am not afraid to speak my mind and not defend a poor quality product in fear of bad name or value drop or any reason,i trusted from having the previous fuzion toyhauler quality......now seeing how junky keystone has become.
when RV dealers and buyers now avoid used big cable slide trailer-there is a reason.
and thousands of threads on the cable problems people have of all kinds.

unless people speak up....it wont get better

You did not answer my question; the cable slides are pure junk as stated by you and "everyone you know" and "everyone knows it". You knew and thought this yet you bought a new trailer with THREE cable slides...then come to this forum in June to rave about the lack of quality - why? You have spent 20 of your 26 posts carrying on about how unhappy you are, and I suppose, how unhappy you are with yourself for buying a trailer with slides that you knew (and everyone else you knew I guess), in your opinion, were junk. Why? I hope you get your issues resolved, but -

You have been a forum member since June 28 - 41 days. You have made 26 posts of which 20 were derogatory comments about Keystone, brands and most any other facet of an RV. Please read the community rules an excerpt of which I'll copy here;

"This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community."
Old 08-08-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
markdol1

cable slides

Yeah ,same old story, nothin but problems with my bullet slides ripping out of the wall to motor failures. many other problems with this product. will NEVER buy another keystone product!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You did not answer my question; the cable slides are pure junk as stated by you and "everyone you know" and "everyone knows it". You knew and thought this yet you bought a new trailer with THREE cable slides...then come to this forum in June to rave about the lack of quality - why? You have spent 20 of your 26 posts carrying on about how unhappy you are, and I suppose, how unhappy you are with yourself for buying a trailer with slides that you knew (and everyone else you knew I guess), in your opinion, were junk. Why? I hope you get your issues resolved, but -

You have been a forum member since June 28 - 41 days. You have made 26 posts of which 20 were derogatory comments about Keystone, brands and most any other facet of an RV. Please read the community rules an excerpt of which I'll copy here;

"This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community."
Danny, As a member of the site team, do you consider some of these recent discussions in violation of the site rule?:

Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

I feel that if someone comes for help resolving a problem, that is one thing but to have an ongoing rant; well, it might be better to take it up with the dealer or manufacturer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Danny, As a member of the site team, do you consider some of these recent discussions in violation of the site rule?:

Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

I feel that if someone comes for help resolving a problem, that is one thing but to have an ongoing rant; well, it might be better to take it up with the dealer or manufacturer.

A new member joining to simply voice their frustrations and dissatisfaction with a purchase can be understood - for a bit. They want others to know of their experience. The community rules prohibit that unhappiness from becoming an ongoing diatribe against a dealer, manufacturer etc. Sometimes members think this IS Keystone so they have a "microphone to the top"; some think it's a forum they can use to hopefully sway people away from future Keystone purchases due to their individual experience; others just like to vent and won't let it go etc. In those cases they are either wrong or abusing their membership privileges.

Buying a new RV that has unexpected problems, after you spent a lot of money...and not aware of manufacturing anomalies specific to RVs (or don't pay attention) can cause a lot of frustration, aggravation and anger. I think we all understand that and many of us have been there. This forum can't fix that; it's between the owner, dealer and Keystone. Unfortunately many, if not most, don't know how that "dance" works and just get more frustrated. In the end a posting of your bad experiences can make one feel better to "get it off your chest" and also open up the situation to members that may have answers because they have experienced the same thing themselves. On the flip side whatever bad thing the owner had may provide some beneficial insight to someone else experiencing something similar. Whatever the situation may be the owner should express their dissatisfaction, provide details and let it go.

Understanding those dynamics everyone wants to let a person with a bad experience voice their frustrations; sometimes good comes from the comments for the affected and those reading. Sometimes it just becomes an avenue for an unhappy owner to keep repeating non productive negative comments because they're unhappy. And yes, some of these conversations verge on violating the rules all the time. My goal is to let those conversations play out, within limits, to allow someone to voice their opinion to the fullest but stay within forum guidelines. As you noted, everyone here wants to help when someone has an issue but none of us can "fix" an unhappy owner that seeks no resolution we can provide.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #12
outback quality
Gone Traveling

cable slides

fine -cancel me here or delete my posts,then ppl will not know the problems,and you can defend your favorite brand.
outback quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:12 PM   #13
outback quality
Gone Traveling

others on here constantly complain and slam the tires and ones that come on keystone trailers....just for one example........keep it to yourself and complain to the china tire company then....dont go slamming keystone trailers and saying to change tires to something safe,thats slamming a new keystone as an unsafe trailer from new.
outback quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:52 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

No one is defending their "favorite brand", Keystone has build issues as do all the other RV manufacturers. You initially pointed out the faults you found with your trailer and your unhappiness which is understood and folks tried to help and listen. Your posts then became simply a vehicle to bash anything and everything related to Keystone which is not allowed or productive. As far as tires, I recall countless comments and threads about tire failures but never anyone devoting nearly all of their commentary, in every post and thread, about a singular tire failure. Your request has been noted and I will comply.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:52 AM   #15
bsmith0404

As someone who worked at a dealership I can tell you that the cable slide system is one of the most reliable systems out there. Do they have some problems, yes, but so does every other slide system. The cable system historically has the lowest warranty claim of any system. The 4 cable system that Keystone uses is the best one. I sold over 300 RVs over a 4 year period, many of them had cable slides. I keep in contact with many of my customers and I never had a single customer with a cable slide problem (other than the recall for the motors leaking oil). I would never own an RV with a Schwintek slide system. Personally, I prefer the hydraulic slides, but you only get those on higher end RVs due to cost. It’s unfortunate that you’re having the problems you are, but it is the exception not the rule…..regardless of what “everyone” in your area is saying.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 08-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
As someone who worked at a dealership I can tell you that the cable slide system is one of the most reliable systems out there. Do they have some problems, yes, but so does every other slide system. The cable system historically has the lowest warranty claim of any system. The 4 cable system that Keystone uses is the best one. I sold over 300 RVs over a 4 year period, many of them had cable slides. I keep in contact with many of my customers and I never had a single customer with a cable slide problem (other than the recall for the motors leaking oil). I would never own an RV with a Schwintek slide system. Personally, I prefer the hydraulic slides, but you only get those on higher end RVs due to cost. It’s unfortunate that you’re having the problems you are, but it is the exception not the rule…..regardless of what “everyone” in your area is saying.
As a tech that actually works on them, I will say I prefer the schwintek system over the cable. IMO the most trouble free and easiest to service is the electric, through frame. The fewest issues I have encountered have been the through frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:32 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As a tech that actually works on them, I will say I prefer the schwintek system over the cable. IMO the most trouble free and easiest to service is the electric, through frame. The fewest issues I have encountered have been the through frame.
My electric motor had the internal plastic gears get destroyed after 22 years. I replaced mine and if I had to do it again, the job would only take 1/2 hour. Lippert through the frame system. My slide is one of the real long ones and perhaps one of the heaviest? Anyway, not sure why they ever left this system and went to either the Schwintek or cable slide system. Was it weight savings?
Old 08-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #18
bsmith0404

I like the rack system as well. That system also requires the frame to be cut/notched for it to be installed. I believe that would require a heavier frame as well. I’d say it’s probably a combination of weight and cost why it doesn’t get used more. There’s at least one company out there, (won’t say who, but it rhymes with nocklood) that tried to use that system while cutting cost and weight. They used a single rack in the center. The slide will pivot in the center and doesn’t stay straight. We all know what happens when a slide is not straight from one side to another.

I’ve seen way too many problems with the Schwintek system to say it’s a good system. Might be easy to work on, but I can’t say I have confidence in it.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

I have found a vast majority of problems with the schwintek is operator error. The “quirk” is that it doesn’t like to be stopped anywhere between full movements. This isn’t explained at orientation or the customer forgets.

Back when I worked at a dealership, the tech that did the PDI did the walkthrough (orientation) and the proper operation and the location of the controller was a standard part.

I will assert that I have changed way more broken/frayed cables than motors or full racks.

To each their own, but if you were to spend a few months in the shop with me you would probably change your mind.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Any system where there is a potential for operator error to mess it up is something I personally wouldn't want to own since I am "that guy (operator)". I would also not own a fifth wheel with an east west bed slide out. Many have them but that also looks to be a potential weak area on some campers. I would also not own a camper where I couldn't walk on the roof. Lots of things to look at when buying either used or new.

Tags
slide, slide out