Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Nice progress. On the battery in the foreground; looks like copper wire in-between the 2 black cable connections? Hard to tell when blowing up the pic but it looks like a space between the terminals. Just a suggestion, when I connect two cables like that I place the 2 terminals "back to back" so the straight part of the terminals touch one another. I know this doesn't apply to your install but on a battery box with a lid it makes it easier to position the cables parallel, resulting in a lower profile and less bending of the cable to give a little more clearence for the lid.
That's the gold colored battery post
It is a feels like temp of 104 as I took the photo and that's my limit for the day I'll be back on it tomorrow morning about daylight.

Still need to replace all the cheap, stiff cable with welding cable and reroute some of it to be neater.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That's the gold colored battery post
It is a feels like temp of 104 as I took the photo and that's my limit for the day I'll be back on it tomorrow morning about daylight.

Still need to replace all the cheap, stiff cable with welding cable and reroute some of it to be neater.

Yes sir. I was trying to clean bugs off the front cap inside the door of the storage barn in the shade and figured I needed to shut it down or collapse off the ladder and that's unusual. Packed up, came home about 20 minutes ago and looked at the thermometer in the shade on the back porch - 105. No wonder this shirt is soaked.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:07 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Ugh! Cool and wet here. We are already about + 1/2" of rain for the month. Wish there was a way to send it back your way.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Wish we had the rain. IIRC they said the other day we had gotten 1.3" of moisture in the last 9 months. The last day for farmers to plant and get crop insurance was yesterday. They were all out running the planters, with huge clouds of dust around them, trying to get seed in the ground knowing it won't come up. Not good. But last year they had a bumper season so there you are.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Wish we had the rain. IIRC they said the other day we had gotten 1.3" of moisture in the last 9 months. The last day for farmers to plant and get crop insurance was yesterday. They were all out running the planters, with huge clouds of dust around them, trying to get seed in the ground knowing it won't come up. Not good. But last year they had a bumper season so there you are.
That's bad. Funny you mentioned 1.3" of rain as I think that was the total her thusfar for June here. Rain was scattered and light here today.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That's bad. Funny you mentioned 1.3" of rain as I think that was the total her thusfar for June here. Rain was scattered and light here today.
Well I guess there is any number of ways we deal with stuff. I've been a desert rat all my life, dealt with it and all the time loved water, mountains and the oceans. DW loves where she is and we won't leave so I endure sandstorms all the time in TX. DW hates humidity and "heat" (not temps). I have to spend several mos. in the heat and dirt (less all the time I take off to the hill country which we both like) and then I set us up for 5-7 mos. in FL. DW and I have come to love the FL panhandle, the people and have adjusted - DW not so much. It's a crap shoot that's for sure.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:26 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

100 on Thursday, 104 yesterday. 100 today and predicted low 80’s tomorrow.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #28
DrSmart1

Javi, did you pull the tow vehicle fuse for the trailer charge line to avoid having the Lithium batteries feeding back to the vehicle? We're getting ready to use 2 100Ah parallel connected LiFePO4 batteries in the fiver. Our fridge is a Whirlpool 21 cu ft. The television is also on the inverter but would be in sleep mode.

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart1 View Post
Javi, did you pull the tow vehicle fuse for the trailer charge line to avoid having the Lithium batteries feeding back to the vehicle? We're getting ready to use 2 100Ah parallel connected LiFePO4 batteries in the fiver. Our fridge is a Whirlpool 21 cu ft. The television is also on the inverter but would be in sleep mode.
My F350 and most modern pickups only activate the 12-volt line of the 7-way when the ignition is activated and the brake has been applied at least once, so no there is no reason.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:15 AM   #30
DrSmart1

Quote:
My F350 and most modern pickups only activate the 12-volt line of the 7-way when the ignition is activated and the brake has been applied at least once, so no there is no reason.
You would be connected while driving. My TV also disconnects when inactive. There may be no issue. Just thinking the fully charged higher voltage Lithium batteries might send some current to the lower voltage vehicle lead acid batteries when towing. Depends on what voltage the alternator maintains.
Obviously not an issue based on your results. Thanks for posting.

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #31
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart1 View Post
You would be connected while driving. My TV also disconnects when inactive. There may be no issue. Just thinking the fully charged higher voltage Lithium batteries might send some current to the lower voltage vehicle lead acid batteries when towing. Depends on what voltage the alternator maintains.
Obviously not an issue based on your results. Thanks for posting.
Well since it won't hurt anything for you to disable the charging circuit from the TV, I'd go ahead and do it.

I spoke at length with Battle Born about my setup and disabling the TV charging circuit never came up.

I often tow other trailers and would be doing a lot of pulling that fuse and plugging it back in..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #32
Folkie

Quote:
Well since it won't hurt anything for you to disable the charging circuit from the TV, I'd go ahead and do it.

I spoke at length with Battle Born about my setup and disabling the TV charging circuit never came up.

I often tow other trailers and would be doing a lot of pulling that fuse and plugging it back in..
I did ask that question of Battle Born. I thought I might need to add a diode to prevent back-feeding the TV. The person I spoke with said there was no need to and that I shouldn't have any issues. We did not discuss type of TV. I have only had two short trips since the battery install (I'm not running a 12V fridge) and arrived with a full battery both times. I do have 170W of solar on the roof which may compensate for any draw. I have a couple of longer trips this summer so I guess time will tell.

Tags
fridge