Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #1
Dbell

21 passport 268bh

Wanted to add some more exterior storage, would like to bolt a shelf on for the back (preferably underneath to the frame rails) simply don’t know what framing there is and where, anyone have a diagram of the floor framing and back wall frame? Just want to make real sure I don’t hit anything, electric, water, sewer and so forth.
Dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:51 PM   #2
bsmith0404

You won’t be able to get a diagram, but for the most part, wiring, water and sewer lines are going it run in the floor up. About the only thing the runs in the ceiling will go up from where the fuse/circuit breaker panel is. Typically any items in the floor will run directly up the wall to the fixture. If you could see inside the walls, it’s 1,5” aluminum studs and the area between is fill with styrofoam insulation. Not much room for things to run horizontally. If. You look under your sinks, you’ll see that the water lines don’t run inside the wall, they get run in the underbelly and up through the floor to the sink.

Be careful hanging anything on the walls. As I mentioned, it’s only 1.5” aluminum stud and it’s a thim gauge aluminum. When keystone plans/builds a trailer, they put additional bracing in the wall to support items that will be mounted there.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:33 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a photo of what the rear construction is probably like. Note that there is no "spray in place rigid foam" in the trailer rear wall. Keystone typically uses a "free floating rear exterior sheeting" that's either aluminum siding or FILON siding. On a couple of "high end trailer lines" a molded rear cap similar to the molded front cap is used, but not on any mid level or entry level trailer lines.

You'll see in this photo that there are some electrical lines routed in the wall, sometimes stapled or secured to vertical studs, sometimes not, so there's no "sure way" of knowing that you won't hit an electrical line while drilling in the rear wall.

Also note, as previously posted, there will probably be some structural mounting plates for anything mounted on the rear wall. The trailer in this photo is a wood frame model, but aluminum frame trailers are similar, just manufactured with different materials.

I don't believe I've ever seen a trailer with any plumbing runs (hot/cold water supply lines or waste water drain lines) embedded in any wall. All the drain lines go through the floor and all water supply lines are either below the floor in the heated "basement" or above the floor, and run along the trailer at the rear of cabinets. So, don't expect to find anything except 120 volt ROMEX and 12 volt stranded wiring in the rear wall.

You should be able to "take inventory" of what is mounted on the outside rear and know about where the electrical components are wired for the lights and possibly the shore power entry structure and on the inside, where the 120 volt ROMEX is run for anything from outlets to microwave plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall-Replacement.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	903.3 KB
ID:	40152  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:55 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Good catch, I forgot about the back wall using regular insulation instead of styrofoam panels like the rest of the trailer.

You mention possibly mounting to the frame. I guess if you could explain more what you’re thinking about, it’d be easier for us to give ideas/suggestions. As for seeing what’s up in/around the frame rails, the best thing would be to pul the few screws that hold the color plast in place so you can drop it down as see what’s there. Typically, there isn’t much at the very back of the trailer except tail light wires, Those typically go to the road side light first and then pigtail across to the curb side, but never hurts to see it with your own eyes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

There's no rear bumper so you'll have to crawl under to find the frame rails. You may have to drop the Coloplast underneath to confirm clearence. I don't know what you are thinking about storing but from what I saw online it looked like mounting to or infront of the rear wall would interfere with the rear storage compartment and spare tire.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport