Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #1
Eric Hoffmeyer

Camera for Hideout 253 RL

Just bought a new 253 RL and would like to install a rear and maybe the side camera.

Any suggestions on what makes sense to do?
Thank you!
Eric
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hoffmeyer View Post
Just bought a new 253 RL and would like to install a rear and maybe the side camera.

Any suggestions on what makes sense to do?
Thank you!
Eric
Eric, Put together a signature with your year, make and model of camper and the same for your tow vehicle. Really helps folks answer. I have no idea what a 253 RL is. When I was looking at rear view cameras, I first tried a couple of inexpensive wireless setups. Don't waste your money on cheap. One of the wiser folks on this site suggested I installed a WIRED camera. The one end of the cable is up by my hitch pin and the other is in a sidewall of my truck's bed. Takes about 2 seconds to connect. The cable is run UNDER my camper and connects to the camera by the middle rear marker lamp on the back of my trailer.

I have a big monitor in the cab of my truck; probably too big but it works well. Never have any drop outs of the signal or interference which I got on bridges and in towns with the wireless system. It is good to see behind you. Since I can see what is besides using my truck's mirrors, never considered putting on side cameras. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I used to install Furrion rear and side marker cameras. It’s a complete system, with the ability to have multiple views.

I’m not affiliated with Furrion or Lippert.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:00 AM   #4
Eric Hoffmeyer

Thank you guys for the info. And yes I'll update my profile with the vehicle info.
Best wishes,
Eric
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
jsb5717

I do have a cheap off-brand wireless camera and it's worked fine so far. I would consider Haloview for what you're after. They have complete kits including side cameras. Search on Amazon. Furrion seems to be overpriced for what you get.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:24 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I would suggest Furrion 7 inch observation system, but it is not cheap. It has one limitation I hate though. It display both side views and the rear view for only a few seconds and then it goes back to your main view. You can easily set it to lock into any view, and flip on all 3 again, but it shows for only a very short while and then flips back. I think this is probably the biggest "negative" about the Furrion system. but, it does work well.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #7
jxnbbl

I've installed and use the Furrion 7 - works very well. I rarely use the side cameras so mainly just use my mirrors and rear camera. The install is easy as it just runs on your running light power. So you just drive with your parking lights on.

One recommendation is to tilt the rear camera into a position that "works for you" - this means that the 'distance lines' on the display show a distance you are comfortable with and you understand the distance between the marks. We got out a 50 ft tape and put cones at different distances. That way you know your are 20ft or 30ft away from an object.

One is a conditioning problem - I use automatic lights on my truck 99% of the time...but I have to remember to turn off my parking lights!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout