Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2022, 02:25 PM   #21
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
With Visible don't form your own party, join one of the parties with thousands of members and get the $25 rate every month.

I belong to a Reddit party that has over 40,000 members. You never have to worry about someone dropping out.
I always wanted to check into that as I only have a party of 3 (all in my household). Would be nice to get to 4 and have the max discount. I'm guessing I'd have to drop us all out from my current group and individually join each to a Reddit group?

Alternatively, if anyone is a single Visible user out there and wants to fill out my group, here's a link:
https://visible.com/p/MarkOnVisible

This would make a party of 4 and the service would be $25 per line. There's no sharing of the party plan for usage, billing etc.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:58 AM   #22
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
@javi. If understand you correct I can call se my phone to have my direct tv any where option and if I can Bluetooth it to the tv can I watch my direct tv on the tv? I have been looking for a way to get this.

@Sourdough talk about being over a barrel. We live in the woods and just for our house I need satellite for internet to get speeds to do our work and to steam is over $200 per month, satellite for our tv(which is not bad) and a cell phone booster that I finally found this year one that works. Now I am basically doing the same for the RV, problem is I am not a IT smart person
I live in the wood in flyover country and with my cell booster I have "Home" 4g LTE from Verizon it is truly unlimited costs me $40 a month and I get average download speeds of around 40mps and uploads around 5mps. I have had it for over a year and am happy with it. We had crappy (and thats being nice) DSL from the local phone company and we were paying over $100 a month. Verizon's price is $60 month if you are not a Verizon Cell Customer. If you go to Verizon's webpage there is a place where you can put in your address and it will let you know it is available in your area.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:28 PM   #23
Rodgolding

I went to the local ATT store and purchased a sim for the Winegard 360+ gateway. $55 monthly plan with 100gig. Just make sure to take all your info for the gateway with you so they can plug it all into their computer. Works fine with my setup. Good Luck
Rodgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #24
jxnbbl

Visible is a no go with Winegard...i just go through chatting with them. It looks like only the following devices are supported:

https://www.visible.com/help/compatible
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:18 PM   #25
Opa 1

Earlier in this thread Jasin1 shows a Apple lightning we are going to use this to stream Netflix, prime ,hbo max etc and mirror to the TV, then use the regular antenna for local shows. If cell signal is weak and a problem I will buy a WeBoost to help. I use the WeBoost at home and works well.

We already use the lightning at home for certain shows and it works great.

The only additional cost would be the Apple Lightning very low cost and potentially the WeBoost as I already have all the data needed on my cell phone.

At the end of April we will begin our camping adventures and see how all this works out
Old 03-25-2022, 06:07 PM   #26
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I always wanted to check into that as I only have a party of 3 (all in my household). Would be nice to get to 4 and have the max discount. I'm guessing I'd have to drop us all out from my current group and individually join each to a Reddit group?

Alternatively, if anyone is a single Visible user out there and wants to fill out my group, here's a link:
https://visible.com/p/MarkOnVisible

This would make a party of 4 and the service would be $25 per line. There's no sharing of the party plan for usage, billing etc.
If I'm understanding correctly, I would need to activate another line with my carrier (Verizon) in order to get a cell phone with a sim card in it. Sign up with Visible and then install the sim card from my 3rd Verizon line in the Winegard gateway.
Is this correct?

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:02 AM   #27
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, I would need to activate another line with my carrier (Verizon) in order to get a cell phone with a sim card in it. Sign up with Visible and then install the sim card from my 3rd Verizon line in the Winegard gateway.
Is this correct?

This is what I was trying to do and was told that it would not work (maybe they are incorrect). Where you can get a phone and hotspot it, I was told that the use of that sim in the winegard wouldn't work... and pointed to the link posted.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has accomplished this.

thanks
Old 03-26-2022, 04:25 AM   #28
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
This is what I was trying to do and was told that it would not work (maybe they are incorrect). Where you can get a phone and hotspot it, I was told that the use of that sim in the winegard wouldn't work... and pointed to the link posted.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has accomplished this.

thanks
I had misunderstood an earlier post I think. I'd also called Verizon and was told to contact Winegard to get a sim to install.
I've about come to the conclusion that the Winegard gateway is rather old technology that restricts the user to certain plans that all have caps. Or the user has to employ certain strategies to fool the system into thinking they are streaming to one device that then connects to several devices in the camper.
It's looking to me like the best way to go is simply a hot spot capable cell phone with a plan that doesn't throttle the Wi-Fi down after a handful of gigs.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:03 AM   #29
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I had misunderstood an earlier post I think. I'd also called Verizon and was told to contact Winegard to get a sim to install.
I've about come to the conclusion that the Winegard gateway is rather old technology that restricts the user to certain plans that all have caps. Or the user has to employ certain strategies to fool the system into thinking they are streaming to one device that then connects to several devices in the camper.
It's looking to me like the best way to go is simply a hot spot capable cell phone with a plan that doesn't throttle the Wi-Fi down after a handful of gigs.

I've found 2 problems, most support of (anything) really is terrible. I called verizon, disney world, and home depot the other day. The answers I got for what i wanted to do were "canned answers" I know I can do what I wanted but you have to find someone with the experience to do A and then B and then C.

For this particular thing, all the cellular companies are allowing some level of hotspotting of cellular phones in an unlimited fashion. Where it gets *iffy* is for these hotspot networks. Whether it is "jetpack" or "winegard" it seems it is the same story. The network can tell the device type. I'm sure you can get a sim from verizon/att/maybe other. But first you have to find someone that knows how to put in the correct order! What seems to be (coming) true is that these other Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO companies) that layer their services on the big three networks support only phones.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:12 AM   #30
Opa 1

I was told the same thing at ATT, I think they use to let stuff like that go through and now put stop gaps in place to charge for more data. I reality after we pay for the equipment data is about the only thing on a phone we pay for anymore
Old 03-26-2022, 06:20 AM   #31
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
For the casual/non-fulltimer I'll blow Visible's horn once again. Visible is owned by Verizon and uses their infrastructure. 2 years in and still no complaint. Visible hotspot + Firestick, logged into my home Fubo streaming service on my trailer's dumb Summit TV and it works great. Unlimited data at speeds plenty fast enough to stream.

Visible is $40 per month for a single line. Your bill can go down as low as $25 per month if you have the max of 4 on your 'party plan' (additional party plan members do not even need to be people you know and each additional member on the plan drop's your monthly price $5). 5G is also supported.

Wife and I have a line each and I and signed up for a 3rd last year under my dog's name and use this one as a dedicated 'trailer line' as a hotspot for InCommand's Global Connect feature. My bill is $90 for the 3 lines/unlimited.
You do know, you can get a portable router and plug it into the phone and then attach as many devices as you want via the router hot spot. These portable routers cost between $12 and $25, depending on which one you get.

Visible says only 1 device can be connected at a time. That is true. The router is the one device. Everything else connects to the router. We have 1 Visible phone and a router. We stream video on 3 Roku televisions, and connect 2 computers for internet, and 2 I-pads and all work at the same time. No noticeable delays, or anything.

My wife and I, both, have used this also for our work computers, on-line conference calls, and even Teams with no problems. We could connect directly into our companies, do our work on computer code, (software development), software testing, and back-end data bases, run programs and submit builds, all the while running a Roku television with streaming video. Visible is a great way to go. But you need the router to make it work so well on multiple devices at the same time.

The router has a good range of about 200 feet. So even in a 40 foot camper, the signal easily reaches anywhere on our campsites, so we can use all our "devices" outside the camper while the phone and router stays inside the camper.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #32
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Visible is a no go with Winegard...i just go through chatting with them. It looks like only the following devices are supported:

https://www.visible.com/help/compatible
It still might be worth a try. We use Xfinity Mobile for our phones. They don't offer a hotspot but since they are also on the Verizon network I wanted to get a Verizon Hotspot and use an Xfinity SIM in it to connect. The folks at Xfinity didn't think it would work...but it does. I bought an old iPhone that's compatible with Xfinity and went to Xfinity for a SIM. I now had an active new number on my account. I also bought a used Verizon Hotspot off of eBay. I popped the SIM into the Hotspot. It connected to Xfinity immediately and it works like a charm. The Hotspot also connects to my Winegard 360+ 4G antenna.

I don't know if that will also work with a SIM from a Visible phone but thought it worth mentioning.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #33
Jim2366

It depends so much on your location and campsite as to the cell phone signal. It is interesting the different methods to get a fast connection with enough data. I have been ok using my Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G and sometimes set up my Weeboost.

I connect my computer and TV by tethering my cell which I have unlimited data. I use the hotspot only for connecting my Voice Over Internet Office phone, so far so good. The hotspot does have limitations on my plan.

We were at Oak Mountain State Park in Alabama which is an 11,000 acre park. They are hosting the World games and are installing fiber optic internet in the RV campground. I hope more and more parks will provide hard wire connections which are the best. The cell towers are providing faster connections near the major highways and cities. Out west is our next adventure so I will keep going back and reading these post.

Tags
wifi