Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2022, 11:48 AM   #1
Nitehawk

solar panels

I have a 2018 outback 293 UBH I have 4 x 100 watt solar panels that I want to attach to my roof. I would like to make a racking system that will go across my roof that I can attach my panels too . I have made the panels so that I can tilt them individually. These I will attach to the roof rack.
My question is am I better to attach the primary roof rack the the flat of the roof or would i be better to make brackets the sit on the roof but get bolted to the side.
" double L brackets " this would prevent me from putting holes in the roof membrane
I know that the roof is made of Luan plywood and i should not walk on it and this makes me think that the less weight on it the better.
Thank for any and all input
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
I have a 2018 outback 293 UBH I have 4 x 100 watt solar panels that I want to attach to my roof. I would like to make a racking system that will go across my roof that I can attach my panels too . I have made the panels so that I can tilt them individually. These I will attach to the roof rack.
My question is am I better to attach the primary roof rack the the flat of the roof or would i be better to make brackets the sit on the roof but get bolted to the side.
" double L brackets " this would prevent me from putting holes in the roof membrane
I know that the roof is made of Luan plywood and i should not walk on it and this makes me think that the less weight on it the better.
Thank for any and all input
I am not recommending this method of installing but I was intrigued with not having to drill into the roof.
It “seems” like it would be strong enough but I don’t know
Old 03-13-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
Nitehawk

I looked at this method before and am intrigued by i.t I was actually looking for a side to side method but might just do this. my only issue is my roof is rubber butyl skin and his method is on a solid fiberglass top. afraid the wind might tear up the roof skin
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
BandT

I used uni-strut for mounting my solar panels, it works well. I was going to mount it with the seal tape, but I noticed it would leave sticky exposed at at all the other openings! Dirt, leaves, needles, etc. would get stuck to it. So I tried to find cross members and screwed it down, sealed with dicor.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
Torchster

Hmm. I like him (Tito). He sure is smarter than I am. I am no expert. But I know that temperature is the enemy of electronics. What I have also learned is that the hotter a panel gets, the less electricity it makes. That is almost a flush mounted system, which doesn't give the panels much of a chance to breath. The roof of an RV is hot place to begin with. My guess is that you can find brackets that are designed to work with your panels.
Torchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
peanut

A well regarded solar company - AMSolar - has this to say about attachment.
I know that many may not agree but they have been in business for over 30 years and should know what they are talking about. Personally, I would use their method AND then add a complete layer of Eternabond tape around every mount.

Also, I know their hardware can be pricey but if you have or know someone with a brake or are moderately mechanical and a MacGyver mind type, you could make your own mounts using theirs as templates. Their tilt bar seems ingenious to me (maybe it's not and I'm just simple).

And no - I don't work for them or have even used them or bought anything from them. I am a retired carpenter. I just google - a lot - when I am researching projects and ran across them that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2022-03-25 at 14.49.21.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	38936  
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar