Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
jawsmon

Towing Safety 101

For all tongue hitch style towing applications....
Using a load equalizing hitch with sway control is a must!!!!!
I have personally witness on 2 occasions the catastrophic results of 'out of control sway'.
This is no Joke!!!!!
1. Use a reputable brand load equalizing hitch that is properly sized to your towing application is a must.
2. Adhere to the tow capacity of your tow vehicle (GVWR/ GCWR). This is information is on a sticker located on the drivers side door post. Don't over load you tow vehicle regardless of what anyone (salemen especially) says. Should you get in a wreck and you're exceeding the tow rating of your vehicle then you're insurance may very well be null and void. There is a lot more to towing safety than the ability of the tow vehicles HP to get your trailer moving or pull a grade. You also need to STOP, especially in an emergency.
3. Sway control. I cannot stress enough the need for sway control. Some load equalizing hitches have built in sway control and some don't. If you don't have built in sway control then there are add on units available. My favorite is EZ Lift Sway Control. It's a simple arrangement, steel flat bar sliding between two brake pads. The tension of the brake pads is adjustable for the weight of the trailer. Crank it down hard before heading down the road.

I have seen lots of TT's being towed down the road without sway control. This is very dangerous and very difficult to control once a sway condition begins. The driver has to be alert to the condition and know in advance how to stop it. There is only a couple of seconds to react before it's too late and out of control. The results are catastrophic.
I have seen this happen right in front of me. I began slowing down as soon as I saw the sway begin. The vehicle was going down a hill when the sway began. the trailer swayed toward the shoulder then back across the center line, and back toward the shoulder and then onto it's side. The trailer body separated from the floor and spewed the rv contents and debris all over the place. The driver was fortunate to walk away unscathed.
The second time I could just see some sway movement quite aways in front of me. The results where both the pickup truck and RV TT on their side in the median resulting in totaled vehicles. Once again the occupants walked away with only bumps and bruises.

A properly sized and set up hitch, properly adjusted sway control and properly adjusted trailer brake controller results in a relaxing, worry free towing experience.

Learn from the mistakes of others. When you see someone without sway control ask them if they know about sway control, chances are they don't. You may very well may prevent an accident and save their lives.

Happy and SAFE RVing
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
dutchmensport

Agree with everything you addressed above. Might add also...

1) If the trailer is loaded tail heavy, sway is more likely to happen.

2) An undersized tow vehicle can never be fixed or adjusted to become an adequate tow vehicle. If the trailer is too heavy and too long for the tow vehicle, sway is more likely to happen.

3) Speeding... no, not speeding past the posted speed limit, speeding faster that what your trailer tires are rated for. If they are rated at 55 mph, you run a great risk if you travel at 60 mph, even if the posted speed limit on the road is 70. Drive the speed limit of your trailer tires and don't exceed it.

4) Correct tire inflation is crucial. Over inflated and under inflated trailer tires can cause some serious towing issues, including sway.

5) Sudden movements when towing a travel trailer can be costly and cause serious sway an an incontrollable situation. Always drive with your eyes looking out as far as possible. When you see potential problems far ahead, you have time to brake slower and under good control. Towing a trailer is nothing like driving the family sedan. Every movement has to be planned as far ahead as possible, smoothly, and under 100% control. Sudden movements can cause a trailer to fishtail pretty fast. Worse, even flip.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #3
jawsmon

agreeing with dutchmansport...and will title his comment "Trailering 102".

There is lots to take into consideration before hitting the road. The boy scouts said it best "Be Prepared".

Don't be afraid to offer newbies unsolicited advice. In most cases they are uneducated in all the safety aspects of pulling a RV.
1. proper hitch & sway control setup
2. load weights and balance.
3. pretrip inspection
4. on the road-planning ahead instead of reacting to potential hazards.
5. etc. etc. etc.
A life time of safe towing is hard to sum up in such a short paragragh.
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
dutchmensport

I've never understood why anyone would purchase a travel trailer and invest thousands and thousands of dollars into it and then cheap out when it comes to hitching, weight distribution, and sway control. It just doesn't make sense.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Yup, it's like buying all the gear to go rock climbing and taking Baker's twine as a safety rope.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing