Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
BeemerJoe

ON extra batteries (again)

I have a 2016 Fuzion 422 Chrome. There is only space for 3 batteries at the most. I'm putting in 4 6vt batteries and one generator only starter battery.
My plan is to use the storage bay right next to the battery compartment and put two batteries in the recessed section. (those that have this toy hauler should know what I'm talking about). It's actualy a perfect place for the batteries and I will drill a hole in the side going directly to the battery compartment for the wires.
My question is this. Although the plastic that the storage compartment seems very sturdy, do you all think it's strong enough for 120 plus lbs of batteries? to me it seems to be, but would just like some oppinions. I do plan on putting a long piece of board under the batteries to equalize the weight, and plan on strapping them down. Although I don't think strapping them is necessary. The factory installed batteries aren't strapped down.
BeemerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I tried that storage space on my Cougar's front compartment. It's a "perfect space for batteries" as far as the actual location. That said, in my trailer, there's a 7" lip along the bottom of the door framework. That lip means that in orger to get the batteries out of the storage compartment, I had to lean into the compartment while bent over in a awkward position and lift the batteries with my forearms, since I couldn't use my back or my upper arms because of the awkward position caused by the trailer's front overhang. I devised a winch/pulley "contraption" to get the batteries out of the compartment. I'm no "90 pound weakling" but for the life of me, I couldn't find the strength to lean into the compartment, lift the batteries clear of that lip to get them out.

You might want to take a look at not only "will they store there easily" (which they will) but also at "how do I get them out of the compartment, given the way it's built".... Yours may be different, but you may have the same problems. It's worth a look.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote