Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
grtoutdoors

Length of Landing Gear - how far is too far?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2010 361LEV. When we last parked our trailer, the trucks back wheels were in a bit of dip (porly designed camp site) which caused the front of the trailer to be low. To be sure I could lower trailer back down low enough to hitch up, I extended the landing gear a few inches before extending them manually with the pins. But extending them manually I could only drop the 3-4 inches .

The problem or "concern" I have is now I have about 6-8 inches of "auto" landing gear exposed and the trailer is still not level.

So my question is - how far will the landing gear extending when using the "extend switch"? Will it shut off when it is as high as it will go or is the a chance I can really screw up by extending them too far?

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
C
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
hankaye

grtoutdoors, Howdy;

Get some 4"X4"X12"chunks of wood and start stacking then

stack them like a tic-tack-toe game design 2 _ then 2 I.
Also known as 'cribbing', ... very solid. That will help take up the distance
that you say you need to get ya back on the level.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Johnnyfry

Jack extension

This is an excellent question because I locked up my jacks by retracting them too far. They tend to lock up if you run them too far in either direction. On the retraction side you can put tape on them to prevent retracting too far.

On the extension end, I don't know how far, but I can testify that 16 inches is OK.

If you happen to lock them up and shear a bolt, use a drift pin in the bolt hole and slam it back and forth and it should break loose. Put in a new bolt and you are good to go.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
grtoutdoors

Hank,

Yup - I have some thing like that already. I built "landing platforms" for the jacks which are 2x4(3 of them) spaced and then another set on top(crossed) with 1/4 plywood on the top. They are super solid and easy to use.

The challenge is not getting the blocks underneeth ... the problem is that because the trailer sat nose down with only about 4" between the landing jacks (fully retracted) and the ground ... I couldn't extend the manuals very far. Then ... to try and level the trailer I have to use the auto extend portion of the jacks a LONG way. I am just more concerned about HOW FAR I can extend the auto part of the jacks before they max out.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
grtoutdoors, Howdy;

Get some 4"X4"X12"chunks of wood and start stacking then

stack them like a tic-tack-toe game design 2 _ then 2 I.
Also known as 'cribbing', ... very solid. That will help take up the distance
that you say you need to get ya back on the level.

hankaye
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
grtoutdoors

John,

Ya, before I brought the trailer home, the dealer and I actually marked how far I could retract the jacks! It makes it super easy for me or anyone else (ie. MA) to know how far to retract.

Thanks for the explaination about 16" and how to fix if I go to far. I have been ultra carefull as to not extend them too far.

I guess the property thing to do is find out who manufactures them and actually get the specifications.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
This is an excellent question because I locked up my jacks by retracting them too far. They tend to lock up if you run them too far in either direction. On the retraction side you can put tape on them to prevent retracting too far.

On the extension end, I don't know how far, but I can testify that 16 inches is OK.

If you happen to lock them up and shear a bolt, use a drift pin in the bolt hole and slam it back and forth and it should break loose. Put in a new bolt and you are good to go.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

John
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
hankaye

grtoutdoors, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtoutdoors View Post
Hank,

Yup - I have some thing like that already. I built "landing platforms" for the jacks which are 2x4(3 of them) spaced and then another set on top(crossed) with 1/4 plywood on the top. They are super solid and easy to use.

The challenge is not getting the blocks underneeth ... the problem is that because the trailer sat nose down with only about 4" between the landing jacks (fully retracted) and the ground ... I couldn't extend the manuals very far. Then ... to try and level the trailer I have to use the auto extend portion of the jacks a LONG way. I am just more concerned about HOW FAR I can extend the auto part of the jacks before they max out.

C
Sounds like you need to find a more friendly campsite...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
JeffS

I don't know if this will help or not but the eTrailer site had these specs for the Atwood Landing Legs.

Atwood Trailer Jack - 75333

The most widely accepted Fifth Wheel Landing Gear in today's market-place. Telescoping heavy-duty tubing (2-1/2", 6.4 cm housing), large footpads and sturdy mounting hardware mean greater trailer stability and reduced sway.

Capacity: 6,000 lbs
20" Lift
16" Dropleg travel
Total Adjustment: 36"
Manual crank standard
Optional motor available (sold separately) for a no-hassle adjustment

Atwood R.V. Landing Gear provides 36" of adjustment. The gear driven extension has 20" of travel and the inner drop tube adjusts an additional 16" for a total adjustment of 36". Plus the quick to ground feature, a double tube extension design, allows the inner tube to be dropped to the ground and pinned in place to quickly extend or retract the legs on even or uneven terrain. A 3:1 gear box reduces the cranking effort needed to lower the legs the rest of the way.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote