Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
WHeiser

Passport 175BH ultra lite roof

Can you stand on the roof?
WHeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

No ladder- no walk on roof is the general accepted rule of thumb.

If you use a couple lightweight 4’X4’ panels to spread the load you’ll be ok.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It depends as much on the "unknown to any forum member" (you, how big you are and how much you weigh) as it does about what's printed in some book, somewhere.....

Here's what's printed in the 2022 Keystone Owner's Manual:
Units with factory installed ladders have walkable roofs. Some
units have walkable roofs but no ladder and others do not have
a ladder or walkable roof. For more information about your
specific year, make and model, please visit roof specifications
under Standards & Options/Exterior on www.keystonerv.com or
contact Owner Relations at 866-425-4369 or ownerrelations@
keystonerv.com

Since we don't know about "you" and have no idea what year trailer you have, generally speaking, if you weigh 150 pounds and the roof meets the criteria established by Keystone, then yes, you can walk on it. On the other hand, if you weigh 450 pounds, get dizzy when you climb a ladder and/or are unable to walk without tripping over your own feet.... Well, hopefully you get the idea. No matter what the book says, some people don't need to be on an RV roof, period ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
RogerThat99

I have the same question on my 2014 Passport Grand Touring, I purchased recently. I will have to call their customer care number.

The website only showed new trailers in the standards and options.

I find it strange that the owners manual talks about roof and AC care, but makes no mention of walking (or not walking) on the roof.
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
I have the same question on my 2014 Passport Grand Touring, I purchased recently. I will have to call their customer care number.

The website only showed new trailers in the standards and options.

I find it strange that the owners manual talks about roof and AC care, but makes no mention of walking (or not walking) on the roof.
It's likely omitted from the "written document" for legal purposes. There is no way in hell any company is going to print "It's OK for you to climb on your roof" without having a list of qualifiers a mile long... Just think about the number of warning labels on a 6' extension cord....

For Keystone to address "roof walkability" would require them to establish weight restrictions for who can/who can not walk up there. Saying it's OK for a 175 pound person to walk on the roof, they would then have people who weigh 185 asking, why not me? and then people who weigh 195 "getting on a forum and saying, "The roof on my trailer is built just like another trailer, but the sticker is the only difference, so in "my reality" my roof is walkable up to the same standard as the other one.... Look at any 250/2500 payload "argument" and you'll see what I mean....

I'd strongly suspect it's not in the manual to prevent the class action lawyers from building yet another class action cash cow at the consumer's and manufacturer's expense.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
RogerThat99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's likely omitted from the "written document" for legal purposes. There is no way in hell any company is going to print "It's OK for you to climb on your roof" without having a list of qualifiers a mile long... Just think about the number of warning labels on a 6' extension cord....

For Keystone to address "roof walkability" would require them to establish weight restrictions for who can/who can not walk up there. Saying it's OK for a 175 pound person to walk on the roof, they would then have people who weigh 185 asking, why not me? and then people who weigh 195 "getting on a forum and saying, "The roof on my trailer is built just like another trailer, but the sticker is the only difference, so in "my reality" my roof is walkable up to the same standard as the other one.... Look at any 250/2500 payload "argument" and you'll see what I mean....

I'd strongly suspect it's not in the manual to prevent the class action lawyers from building yet another class action cash cow at the consumer's and manufacturer's expense.
Makes sense. The 3/4 ton comment is funny...and very accurate. [emoji3][emoji3]
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with John's post above. It's difficult to "define common sense". Just imaginge the guy with the mentality that the 150 lbs restriction means at his 250 lbs. he's O.K. Then he decides to "jump over" the a/c unit. "You can't fix stupid" and it's difficult yo define common sense.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport, roof