Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #41
Ken / Claudia

My 2 cents worth, not sure this was said.
At my state retirement meetings, yes I got paid to go to 16 hours of estate, retirement planning. Many have a big pool of money and need to decide what to do with it.
They strongly stated do not sell your house to buy a RV and full time in the RV. Unless you plan on having cash on hand to buy a home or condo in a few years.
The reason was given if or when you want to settle somewhere. The RV will not be worth much compared to when new and housing costs likely will be higher. So, you may not be able to get back into home ownership.
It was just commonsense to me, planning ahead, do not put all your money into 1 investment. Do not spend your life savings to RV full time.
I might want to travel around for a few months at a time, but the full timing for ever life style is not for me or my wife. Some can and will do it. My hats off to you. I would never want to take away someone's life dreams of living on the road. I want a home to come home to and call it mine.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #42
Javi

"WE" will never sell everything and full time the DW could never do it.

I could easily do it and would have already done it 10 years ago but I've accepted that as long as she is with me it will not happen.

Heck, I learned a long time ago that when she's ready to go home it's best to load up and head back. I've had to do it the day we arrived and I've had to turn around before we even got there. I've seen a month long trip that we planned for two years turn into 3 days and we never got there. I once drove from the Painted Desert to Waco stopping only for fuel because she decided that she wanted to go home NOW.

Me... I'd spend 6 months in the mountains and 6 months at the beach and never bat an eye but I've traveled all my life and she was always a homebody.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

I broke my hip playing tennis about 12 years ago. Having to use crutches and a walker for 2 months taught me "real fast" that I don't want to navigate RV steps with crutches and I really don't want to sleep in theater seats when the bed is "3 steps up"... Then there's that pesky thing called needing to go to the bathroom in a fifth wheel.....

For us, RVing is a "while we're healthy" kind of lifestyle. I couldn't imagine being relegated to a walker or a wheelchair or even a "scooter-mobile" and trying to travel in a fifth wheel or motorhome.... Just setup/breaking camp would be a significant hinderance to remaining mobile....

We've got the RV for travel, but we've got the "necessary adaption of a home" if our health changes so that we can't travel any longer.

I'm of the opinion (everybody has one) that the closer to slowing down that I get, the more important having a community of friends, a hospital and healthcare that "knows who I am" and the framework to stay independent even if health status changes is important. I couldn't imagine trying to recover from heart surgery or being stuck in one place for radiation therapy or chemo therapy for several years... and you (at least I) don't want to change oncologists or cardiac surgeons midstream....

Lots to think about "toward the end of a lifetime of full timing....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:42 AM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^This would be us. No way will DW full time in an RV and absolutely wouldn't sell her house. Heck, she wouldn't even let me sell it and build a new one in FL....or MO, or AR - so here we (I) are.

Over the last several years we have watched folks age and have issues. Some either had their homes and gave up RVing. Some had to sell their RV and then had enough to buy a tiny home. Some still live in the RV. Option 1 is the way to go IMO. Like most things I think one will know when "it's time" and the things required to be in an RV are too much trouble...or you can't do them.

To each his own on how to proceed into "aging" but when they took my knee out I found lots of things either impossible or difficult to the extreme. I built a new bathroom just for that eventuality; you can't do that in an RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #45
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
First, that article is definitely just click bait.
Having said that, it starts out with selling the house and hitting the road, so it is all about full timing. Narrows the field to about 1% or less of retirees. Then it seems to focus on motorhomes and the costs associated with them. Narrow that field even further.

Even with that, the cost of full timing in an expensive motorhome is still cheaper and much more fulfilling than a nursing home.

I'll take the road please. We half time and still have a paid for S&B for the summer. Some full time and some just weekenders, some big 5er's and some small TT's. RVing for retirement is such a broad subject, no article can cover it all. There are whole books that try.

Just looking at the range of tastes on this forum alone shows how many strokes there are out there, and guess what, that's what makes this life so good.

Just looking at the morning news, we are definitely the sane ones.
Love this response
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #46
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our plans changed "at least 15 times" from 2003 when we built our house in Louisiana with plans to winter there, summer in a small cabin up here and fly/drive to destinations as we wanted to see them. Plan was essentially, to rent a condo or just stay in an extended stay hotel as we travel...

There were several "changes as the years progressed" and then in 2008, I decided to retire. DW told me, (with no smile), "We've spent the last 40 years living where the Air Force sent us and where you wanted to live. I'm tired of snakes and alligators in the pool and wild hogs in the back yard. I want to go home and live in Michigan." Well, with her "look" I had no choice but to say, "Yes dear" and VOILA, here we are.... Living the dream, eh ???

Actually, I told her OK, but this time, I'm not spending a winter in Michigan, snowbound in that damn little cabin with you and no way to get out and enjoy the snow and cold.... So, we can do that, but we're building a bigger house and I'm getting all the toys I've been saving for my whole life... I must have hit her at a vulnerable moment because she said "DEAL"... and the rest is history.... I got all the toys, snowmobiles, new boat, tractor, ATV's and UTV's, motorcycle, trailer, truck, pole barns (2 going on 3) to keep it all in and unfortunately, she put her foot down when I stopped at a little private airport in Atlanta, MI to look at a Cessna 182.... That was a "chilling ride home" and I've "sort of stopped looking for an airplane".... (for now)
This is the best example of compromise in marriage I've ever seen. Forwarding to my wife right now.
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #47
Jim2366

My Dad past away a year ago at 92 and spent his last years in an expensive senior living facility. He had to walk from his two bedroom apartment to an elevator and walk quarter mile to the dinning area. He ended up using an electric scooter and lost stengh and ended up in a wheel chair.

Living in an the 5th wheel is a lot easier. I like having both a home and an RV and I like both. My Mom died at home and lived a great life and the bedroom was on the second floor. Three steps is nothing. She died of Pancratic Cancer and actually went up and down the steps.