Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
machz

New 22MLS in NH

I have been here a few months but a couple of weeks ago my 22MLS arrived so I thought I would say hello. This will be my first TT so it should be interesting. My DW and I had a park model for 10 years but other than popup camping when I was a kid this will be new for us.

We are 10 years from retirement but dream of buying a motorhome and traveling so we decided to pick up this TT now to test the waters. Our kids are grown and moved away so this will be perfect for us.

We have already camped in the yard(figured out mattress had to go quickly). We head out next week for our first trip in northern NH, fingers crossed all goes well.

machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Gary R.

Hello Shawn, and welcome to the forum!

That is a very nice Cougar! Like the flooring and no carpeting. Wood flooring is on my to-do list.

Travel safe and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Congrats on your new Cougar!

You are doing the right thing ... absolutely correct! You are testing the waters before jumping in the deep end, considering full timing. 10 years will give you lots of experience, learn a lot of the in's-and-out's of navigating life with your new camper, teach you how to plan, budget your finances, and adjust to traveling farther and farther, longer and longer without getting homesick, lonely, or missing the kids and grand kids, and other family. With your experience with the Park Model and now being mobile, you'll encounter all kinds of situations, and in 10 years you won't be taken by surprise when something bazaar happens.

I strongly suggest you go camping as much as you can, in all 4 seasons of the year. Try winter camping, dry camping, camping will full hook-up, try a National Forest campsite, a glitzy RV park, and completely boomdock at Wall Mart one night, just for the experience. Because, when you go full time, you have the experience and wisdom to know how to handle these situations with ease.

Along the way, you will experience mechanical problems with tow vehicle and trailer (it will happen eventually, if given enough time). Don't panic when it happens, take it as a learning experience and think your way though it, and you'll be fine! Just like Army food, "This too shall pass!" And it will. And believe me or not .... mechanical failures with either your vehicle or your camper will be the strongest memories you'll have. And experience the absolute joy when the problem is finally resolved and you are back on your way again.

Chalk all these things up to experience, and in 10 years, you'll be all set.

Happy Camping! It's a journey! Not a final destination!
Old 07-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Sarge2

Very nice rig... have fun...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=machz;457901]I have been here a few months but a couple of weeks ago my 22MLS arrived so I thought I would say hello. This will be my first TT so it should be interesting. My DW and I had a park model for 10 years but other than popup camping when I was a kid this will be new for us.

We are 10 years from retirement but dream of buying a motorhome and traveling so we decided to pick up this TT now to test the waters. Our kids are grown and moved away so this will be perfect for us.

We have already camped in the yard(figured out mattress had to go quickly). We head out next week for our first trip in northern NH, fingers crossed all goes well.

Welcome and happy camping! Like you, prior to retirement I fully intended, 100%, to buy a diesel pusher motorhome and went to the dealership with the intention of leaving with one. Well,

Make sure you think through it long and hard and objectively look at all the pros and cons; interior space, cost, upkeep, cost of TOAD etc. After driving the one I thought I wanted some of the above items started to dawn on me so I didn't bring one home. Then I went to look at RVs (3 slide minimum) and found I like them much better with more "versatility" IMO. I'm not bashing motorhomes, I think they're nice; just not for me. Just fyi so you can think through ALL the aspects of motorhome ownership vs being "enamored" of them until....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

Congrats and welcome!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:39 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #8
Gumby52

Welcome from CT Hope you have lots of happy memories and trips.

You'll have to report back on how you like the 22MLS. Is that the DC refrigerator I see?

One suggestion I would make - Amesbrook Campground in Ashland, NH (less than 50 miles for you) right up 93. Site 51 if you can get it. Fair warning, they may have to drag you out of there....

Congrats!

Gary

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
machz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby52 View Post
Welcome from CT Hope you have lots of happy memories and trips.

You'll have to report back on how you like the 22MLS. Is that the DC refrigerator I see?

One suggestion I would make - Amesbrook Campground in Ashland, NH (less than 50 miles for you) right up 93. Site 51 if you can get it. Fair warning, they may have to drag you out of there....

Congrats!

Gary

Thank you for the welcome.

Yeah we went with the residential fridge for quicker cooling and we plan on using the Generator built into my F150 to power the RV when we are not on shore power. I plan on routing a 30 amp cable under the RV to the bed of my truck so I can run what ever I need including the AC as I'm driving down the road.

I know exactly where Amesbrook campground is. We had a Park Model at Squam Lake Campground for 10 years so I know the squam area very well. Thank you for the tip on site 51.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
InkedMarie

Hi from Gilford, NH! Ames Brook is great, site 72 is our favorite.
We also love Crazy Horse in Littleton and if you want quiet, Riverbend in Tamworth..

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
P&DZ

Welcome from CO. I lived in East Hamstead for 15 years. Great state! Enjoy you rig.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote