Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Tom & Glo

How do I turn Off this Light ?

I have a 2021 Cougar 24RDS. There is a light that appears to be like a night light for the stairs. It seems to have a photo-eye, but being in a darkened hallway is most always on even in the daytime so far. I can find no switch that will turn this off.

Any insight ?
Old 03-18-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
ingram

Mine has a little white, 3 position switch. Off, on, on with motion sensor. I think off is all the way left, middle is motion, right is just on.
ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:25 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom & Glo View Post
I have a 2021 Cougar 24RDS. There is a light that appears to be like a night light for the stairs. It seems to have a photo-eye, but being in a darkened hallway is most always on even in the daytime so far. I can find no switch that will turn this off.

Any insight ?
Mine doesn’t have a switch to turn it off... if it really bothers you and your comfortable with minor electrical repairs, you could add a switch next to it...

I would remove the light and see if you have a little slack with the wires... then I would mount a little rocker switch right above or next to the light..add about 10” of wire to each side of the switch and make your connections to one of the wires going to the light .. just break one of the wires with the switch .. that way you could leave it off as long as you want to
Old 03-18-2021, 04:27 AM   #4
ingram

I don't have it in front of me, but feel around under it. I think my switch is underneath so you can't see it looking down on it.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #5
Tom & Glo

Ours is at the Storeage lot right now, but next time I go there I’ll feel under the light.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
ingram

I just looked at a walkthrough of your model on youtube and you are probably right. Mine is a '19 and my hallway light doesn't look like that at all. Maybe there isn't a switch. That would suck. If it were me, I would replace it or just cut the wires.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:

Any insight ?
On the subject of lights ..I do not like the backlit lighted switches on the bedroom and bathroom... I have to cover the switch with painters tape when I go to sleep because the light is too bright.. it’s like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has the Kenny Rogers Roasters sign shining into the bedroom..

I’m going to be replacing it
Old 03-18-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
On the subject of lights ..I do not like the backlit lighted switches on the bedroom and bathroom... I have to cover the switch with painters tape when I go to sleep because the light is too bright.. it’s like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has the Kenny Rogers Roasters sign shining into the bedroom..

I’m going to be replacing it
Typically illuminated 12 VDC switches have the positive side switched and a neg (ground) attached to the switch for the light in the switch. If you remove that ground wire then no more light.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Typically illuminated 12 VDC switches have the positive side switched and a neg (ground) attached to the switch for the light in the switch. If you remove that ground wire then no more light.
Great! Thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
Kuimonster

Quote:

Any insight ?
This light was on crack over the weekend. On, Off, On, Off for no reason at all. I ended up putting tape over the damned thing.... I think i am going to just disconnect the light.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

We have motion detecting lights all over the RV....and really like them. We also have the one by the stairs which we also love. We don't like walking into, up or down them in the dark. In fact if it doesn't come on in time before going down we just "wave" a foot to make it come on. We've not found a circumstance where the light is intrusive, and if fact, love it at night as puppy moves from downstairs to upstairs....I think she loves it too. If you don't like it I wouldn't worry about "disconnecting" it, just cover up the sensor and forget it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #12
Kuimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We have motion detecting lights all over the RV....and really like them. We also have the one by the stairs which we also love. We don't like walking into, up or down them in the dark. In fact if it doesn't come on in time before going down we just "wave" a foot to make it come on. We've not found a circumstance where the light is intrusive, and if fact, love it at night as puppy moves from downstairs to upstairs....I think she loves it too. If you don't like it I wouldn't worry about "disconnecting" it, just cover up the sensor and forget it.
I wouldn't mind the light if ours worked like you are describing. The light was on and off all night long. Seconds between turning off and on without movement. Also they stayed on during the daytime and even shining my flashlight into the photosensor. Maybe ill chuck it up to a bad light and mention it to the dealer.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #13
sierraman68

With in 3 months of the purchase of our 2020 25RES the motion sensor started acting really funky and often would come on in the middle of the night. I just disconnected it.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
BookPaul74

In my 2014 Cougar 337fls I didn’t like that you had to climb up the stairs and go down the hallway to the control panel to turn on the hallway lights you just walked down. So I bought a set of 12 volt wireless relays. The Chinese instructions leave a bit of desire but found helpful videos on YouTube.

I can now turn them on from outside before I even open the door. I also replaced all the lights with LED RV lights and while doing that I installed three of the relays in the ceiling above the new lights. The hole for the wires were big enough to slide them in after doing the wiring.

On a sad note I ordered the 15 relay kit and was going to convert all the other controls to work from relays but the US Postal System lost the package and when I reordered after they got new inventory the price doubled. ☹️ So I’ll wait until I return home to do the others. Don’t see a way to get the link working.

eMylo DC 12V 1CH RF Relay Wireless Remote Control Light Switch 433Mhz Relay Receiver with Wireless Transmitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6VOH9W...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08A67C1D-0CE9-44C0-B0C4-90319421EBB8.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	32695  
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
ENJ

Quote:

Any insight ?
We have this same motion detected "night" light on the stairs of our 2021 Cougar 25RES. We had it replaced already (under warranty) because it would activate when we didn't want it to (on and off randomly). The replacement was much better, but still not very satisfactory. Our solution: put a night light in the bathroom, which shines on the stairs, and put black electrical tape over the sensor and light so it is now "deactivated". If we ever sell the RV, we can simply remove the tape so we wouldn't get any questions.
ENJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:10 AM   #16
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I am glad I read this! That blue light has been driving me crazy at night. I want darkness when I sleep. It took about 5 minutes to cut the ground wire and now I am looking forward to a good night's sleep when we go camping next time. Thanks for the hint!
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light