Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
jasin1

Tire storage

Is it a good idea to take a jack to each axle and spin my tires 180 deg over the course of winter storage? Seems like flat spots could develop or at the least some deformation from sitting so long in one spot. Or would it be better to block the axles close to the tires? I do cover them.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Some time ago this was discussed on the forum with numerous and varied opinions but I don't know where to tell you to search for it. I guess the first thing is to define winter storage. Where we live "winter" or more accurately winter conditions can vary drastically year to year. It was 5 years ago this week I believe we had 30" of snow. Christmas day <a month preceding it was 70°.

I will say this, for the last 50 yrs or I've owned some sort of trailer, boat, camper, utility. I've never rotated the tires unless it was going down the road. In those years I've never been aware of a flat spot and never had a "blow out". Lord I hope I didn't just kink myself! I've had two flats from "kissing" a curb when I got myself into a tight spot that's my fault, not the tires.

Cover them if exposed to sunlight, keep them properly inflated at all times has been my routine and it's worked for me. If we get a stretch of mild weather and it works with what's going on at the time, I'll hitch up and go for a short ride ( I don't cover the camper). I may be "old school" but in my experience mechanical things are made to move/operate. So by dragging it around for a half hour or so
I think is better for the bearings, the brakes, and the suspension. Movement warms things up and disperses lubricants. I fog the engines on things like my chipper shredder, power washer, small engines, but I'll only put stabil in the riding mower. On a good day in winter I'll fire it up and due some laps mowing the leaves to keep it limber. This has worked for Mr, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I've been storing trailers "on the tires" without moving the trailer for up to 6-7 months at a time, for the past 10 years. I've never had an issue with "flat spots" forming. I'd suspect that in your area, you won't be parking it for that long at one stretch. IMHO, it's probably because we now use radial tires as opposed to the old bias ply tires that were more prone to getting flat spots.

For me, it's more important to store the trailer (protect the tires) by making sure they are not in wet, damp spots, not stored in a place where they may sit in water or mud for extended times, not subject to sunlight/UV, not subject to OZONE from a nearby furnace motor or compressor motor, and not sitting on asphalt where the oils may affect the tread rubber compound.

If it's stored outside, I'd park it on concrete pads or use wood under each tire to "lift it out of the dirt/gravel" so the tires remain "as dry as possible" even during rain when water pools under the trailer.

Some people have jacked/blocked their trailer to remove all weight from the axles, letting the tires "hang" rather than support the trailer weight. I don't recall any of them boasting that their tires "didn't age out at 5 years" just like those that were left sitting on the ground.

I'd suspect that preventing flat spots goes along with measuring tire capability by tread depth.... All of our ST tires will "age out" long before they "wear out".... Flat spots, tire damage from flat spots and unsuitable towing has never been reported as a problem on the forum. As Marshall said, there was a thread discussing flat spots a few years ago, but as I recall, there was no evidence or no procedure discussed that would have changed how I store my trailer, so apparently that thread did not have any "convincing evidence" to motivate any changes to storage of my trailer....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Some time ago this was discussed on the forum with numerous and varied opinions but I don't know where to tell you to search for it. I guess the first thing is to define winter storage. Where we live "winter" or more accurately winter conditions can vary drastically year to year. It was 5 years ago this week I believe we had 30" of snow. Christmas day <a month preceding it was 70°.

I will say this, for the last 50 yrs or I've owned some sort of trailer, boat, camper, utility. I've never rotated the tires unless it was going down the road. In those years I've never been aware of a flat spot and never had a "blow out". Lord I hope I didn't just kink myself! I've had two flats from "kissing" a curb when I got myself into a tight spot that's my fault, not the tires.

Cover them if exposed to sunlight, keep them properly inflated at all times has been my routine and it's worked for me. If we get a stretch of mild weather and it works with what's going on at the time, I'll hitch up and go for a short ride ( I don't cover the camper). I may be "old school" but in my experience mechanical things are made to move/operate. So by dragging it around for a half hour or so
I think is better for the bearings, the brakes, and the suspension. Movement warms things up and disperses lubricants. I fog the engines on things like my chipper shredder, power washer, small engines, but I'll only put stabil in the riding mower. On a good day in winter I'll fire it up and due some laps mowing the leaves to keep it limber. This has worked for Mr, YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I've been storing trailers "on the tires" without moving the trailer for up to 6-7 months at a time, for the past 10 years. I've never had an issue with "flat spots" forming. I'd suspect that in your area, you won't be parking it for that long at one stretch. IMHO, it's probably because we now use radial tires as opposed to the old bias ply tires that were more prone to getting flat spots.

For me, it's more important to store the trailer (protect the tires) by making sure they are not in wet, damp spots, not stored in a place where they may sit in water or mud for extended times, not subject to sunlight/UV, not subject to OZONE from a nearby furnace motor or compressor motor, and not sitting on asphalt where the oils may affect the tread rubber compound.

If it's stored outside, I'd park it on concrete pads or use wood under each tire to "lift it out of the dirt/gravel" so the tires remain "as dry as possible" even during rain when water pools under the trailer.

Some people have jacked/blocked their trailer to remove all weight from the axles, letting the tires "hang" rather than support the trailer weight. I don't recall any of them boasting that their tires "didn't age out at 5 years" just like those that were left sitting on the ground.

I'd suspect that preventing flat spots goes along with measuring tire capability by tread depth.... All of our ST tires will "age out" long before they "wear out".... Flat spots, tire damage from flat spots and unsuitable towing has never been reported as a problem on the forum. As Marshall said, there was a thread discussing flat spots a few years ago, but as I recall, there was no evidence or no procedure discussed that would have changed how I store my trailer, so apparently that thread did not have any "convincing evidence" to motivate any changes to storage of my trailer....
Thanks guys! I did ask the question before but couldn't remember what the consensus was. I started looking back through my posts but gave up. I do park on gravel so I may just put some boards under the tires and probably give them a spin while in at it
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I would just add this, if I had a newer trailer with the leveling system that was capable of lifting the tires off the ground I might reconsider. For me, jacking up to spin a tire without some true empirical evidence for some great benefit would be a definitive no. If I could push a button, kick the tire 90° then maybe I would do it if I were bored out of my mind and needed an excuse to go outside and smoke a cigar.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would just add this, if I had a newer trailer with the leveling system that was capable of lifting the tires off the ground I might reconsider. For me, jacking up to spin a tire without some true empirical evidence for some great benefit would be a definitive no. If I could push a button, kick the tire 90° then maybe I would do it if I were bored out of my mind and needed an excuse to go outside and smoke a cigar.
Never considered the leveling system! Good point!
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Diver

I just park mine on a 2 X10 so the tires are up off the ground / grass / dirt ... and cover with tire covers for UV protection
Old 01-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I just park mine on a 2 X10 so the tires are up off the ground / grass / dirt ... and cover with tire covers for UV protection
Thanks. That's my plan going forward
Old 03-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
Vickster

Do you have a recommendation for brand of tire covers?
Vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickster View Post
These are what I have ... perfect fit and quality construction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8F849FA-D5C4-4406-AE4D-7F8434C2E3EF.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	32548  
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 AM   #11
ChuckS

My 14 ply tires are six years old.. when 5th wheel is stored at the house the tires sit on concrete from Oct. to mid May.. They are covered to protect from UV and I don't raise and spin the tires during storage

Same with my motorcycles during the winter.. they sit on the tires and I have no issues at start of first ride in April

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:34 AM   #12
CWtheMan

See page #53 in the following document (storage of RV tires).

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickster View Post

I use Adco covers;

https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-3961-Des...6856185&sr=8-3
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
notanlines

What Diver ^^^^ and pretty much what the rest said. A complete waste of time. And buy the cheapest tire cover that will actually stay in place. It isn't a fashion show, just blocking UV rays.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage