Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
drew999999

Stuck Bearing

Okay... so I'm back with more questions for the seasoned pros. I gladly took the earlier advice to pull my hubs after greasing with the EZ Lube method. I'll say that I'm REALLY glad I listened. One seal had failed, but luckily I hadn't pulled since greasing and it was just a little globbed on the back of the spindle. Nothing dropped down on the magnet or spread to the shoes.

So now the question. I had one hub that didn't want to pull off of the spindle. It would pull about 1 inch, then get stuck. A little bit of work and the rear seal popped out and I was able to get the hub off, leaving the seal and rear bearing on the spindle. I worked it a little and was able to finally remove the bearing. It seemed to get stuck near the unmachined part of the spindle. It also didn't want to go back on very well after repacking. I also notices a small gouge near where the outer bearing sits. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3071.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	32561  
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:47 AM   #2
JWS

My guess would be that groove was caused from wheel bearings set up too loose, a common problem I have found on trailer axles I have owned. I would smooth up that groove with emory cloth or sand paper till you can slide wheel bearing over the shaft without binding. I'm sure one of the pros can give the correct spec for wheel bearing adjustment, I set mine as close to 0.00" end play as I can get without any preload to minimize tire wear.
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
ChuckS

400 grit sandpaper or crocus cloth will clean up the spindle just fine... work it smooth and test with old bearing until it slides all the way on with no issues

Dexter bearing procedure is tighten axle nut to 50ft lbs then back off till and turn nut finger tight and install the EZ lube axle nut spring keeper..

From the Dexter axle service manual

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...sn=cfe1e328_42

Page 49 starts with the bearing work and there is a section illustrating the EZ lube axle nut keeper

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #4
drew999999

Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice and looking forward to some decent weather again next weekend to finish this project up.

Follow up:

As a precaution, I ordered some spare bearings/races and pulled this wheel again. New bearing was still a tight fit to get past the lip of the spindle. I polished the offending area of the spindle with some medium and fine emery cloth, but kept it very light. After replacing the races and installing freshly hand packed bearings and rear seal, it seated fairly easily with just a small push needed to get past the hang up. Prior to this, the rear bearing was so tight trying to remove that it pulled the grease seal from the hub. I'll call this a success.

Pulled the remaining drums and no bearing issues found (and found 1 more failed seal from greasing via EZLube. As with the other failed seal, no contamination of the brakes as I haven't moved the rig and its been fairly cold. Hand packing will be the only way I'll do this going forward. Also finished up my wet bolt kit install while the wheels were off.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote