Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #1
JBWardFamily

Adding Rollers to Slides - Which One?

Hi all. I have a '17 Cougar 33MLS X-Lite. I'm getting a little bit of "chucking" in my slides when coming in/out and I've seen online that adding rollers are the fix. I'm seeing two different styles (linked below) and am not sure which to use. It seems the J-36 would be the easiest to install. One slide is the gear drive type and the other is the cable driven type. From what I can see they both ride on a plastic strip. The J-13 seems heavier duty, but would install a little differently. I like the way the J-36 rests inside, vs mounting on the outside of the J-13. I'm ordering 8 of them and wanted to make sure I get the right one.

J-36
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lippe...R-p/276288.htm

J-13
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lippe...bb152eaec9c5e9

Thanks.
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I think your backwards. The L bracket will mount outside on the frame, the flat bracket is mounted to the floor.

Mounting the flat ones would require “hyper extending “ the room. You would have to remove the horse shoe around the inside edge of the slide, and then support the slide while you extend it past the edge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I think your backwards. The L bracket will mount outside on the frame, the flat bracket is mounted to the floor.

Mounting the flat ones would require “hyper extending “ the room. You would have to remove the horse shoe around the inside edge of the slide, and then support the slide while you extend it past the edge.
The videos I saw had the flat bracket installed on the outside taking the weight off the ends and middle of the slide. So, am I correct in thinking the L bracket is the one I need? Seems like I just jack up the slide an inch or so, cut out the portion I am replacing and put in the bracket with 2 inch screws every 3 feet or so.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #4
Northofu1

Not sure if you've seen this video, it may help if not.
He said early in the video the Lippert tech said to get the rollers that are 1/8" taller than the wear bar. His slide was an accuslide.
I added a second video, while you're down there. You can watch the whole video if you are so inclined or fast forward to 15:21 where he talks about the flashing he uses on his slide to avoid what happened at the beginning of the video. I would use the J-36 but you might want to cut a piece of the wiper/ wear bar to make sure the thickness is correct.

Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWardFamily View Post
The videos I saw had the flat bracket installed on the outside taking the weight off the ends and middle of the slide. So, am I correct in thinking the L bracket is the one I need? Seems like I just jack up the slide an inch or so, cut out the portion I am replacing and put in the bracket with 2 inch screws every 3 feet or so.
The flat brackets may be on the outside, I’ve always seen them mounted to the floor on the inside of the seal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

The rollers I have seen from the factory are mounted through the floor requiring either removal or hyperextending the slide. The aftermarket rollers I've looked at have a front flange (L) that screws into the face of the trailer under the slide after raising it. On either you need to know the height of the wear bar before installing the rollers.

Be aware that the rollers themselves can damage the darco if they are the slightest bit out of line so keep that in mind. You also really need to determine what is causing the "chucking" vs just putting something on there that may or may not make an improvement.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The rollers I have seen from the factory are mounted through the floor requiring either removal or hyperextending the slide. The aftermarket rollers I've looked at have a front flange (L) that screws into the face of the trailer under the slide after raising it. On either you need to know the height of the wear bar before installing the rollers.

Be aware that the rollers themselves can damage the darco if they are the slightest bit out of line so keep that in mind. You also really need to determine what is causing the "chucking" vs just putting something on there that may or may not make an improvement.
Thanks. The plastic material on the edges is fraying so I'm making the best guess that is my problem. I'm not rushing to do anything since it still works well. Just looking ahead.

Tags
slide