Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Thinking of upgrading my TV

Hello all. Hope you're all staying safe and healthy in the new year!

I have a '12 RAM 1 ton dually that I installed a B&W turn over ball gooseneck hitch. I then purchased the B&W Companion fifth wheel 20k hitch. I've been pulling my '13 Keystone Raptor 43' without much of an issue.

But I'm thinking of updating my TV to a '19 or newer RAM 1 ton dually.

My question is this, if I purchase a RAM with the factory gooseneck fifth wheel setup, will my B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch fit into the new RAM gooseneck hitch hole?

Or will I have to purchase a new fifth wheel puck style hitch assembly and use the four corner factory puck holes?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the center hole is there, I would say your golden. We have installed the goose ball plate before if it’s not there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Dan Lockwood

Just thought I would update my question about the RAM newer factory puck and goose neck system.

Most people have just said, if the hole is there for a goose neck ball, my B&W companion hitch should work.

Here's the reply I just received from Stephanie at B&W.

Good morning,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Unfortunately with the Ram factory puck system you would have to purchase a new base for the truck. You would be able to still use your current coupler head. The gooseneck socket in the Ram puck system has a ball bearing system inside of it and there is not a way to anchor a hitch in that socket, to prevent it from freely spinning.
Part#RVB3600 is the 25K stationary Companion base for the Ram puck system.
Part#RVB3670 is the 20K manual slider Companion base for the Ram puck system.
I will let you know that there has been a very high demand for our products, so you could likely resell the base you have currently. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
Have a great day!
Stephanie

So if I do upgrade to a '19 or newer, I will have to purchase a new main base and if wanted, I could just keep my upper swivel hitch for the new base. BUT I cannot use my B&W square drop in companion with the new RAM goose neck.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar question.

Have a great afternoon!

Dan
Old 02-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Thank you very much for posting the updated information.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Dan Lockwood

You are so very welcome, the least I could do...
Old 02-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
Dan Lockwood

There's one more follow up to this question.

Good afternoon Don,
I will let you know that with the Ram trucks you can remove the OEM gooseneck center and replace with our turnover ball because they go into the same location. You would be able to leave the 4 outer pucks in the bed of the truck and be able to utilize them later on if you wanted and wouldn't have to leave 4 empty holes in the bed of the truck.

Thank you,
Have a great weekend!
Stephanie

So it would be my choice either get a new B&W hitch base for the RAM puck system, or pull the RAM gooseneck and replace with the B&W turn over gooseneck ball bed hitch.

My first thought would be to replace the RAM gooseneck with the B&W turn over gooseneck. I did the total B&W turn over install in my '12 alone and was able to get it done. So just swapping would be even easier. I think the cheapest way too.

Thanks and have a great week!