Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 06:14 AM   #1
Jnich17

Weigh Better Towing Measurement

I bought the Weigh Better towing measurement instrument that plugs into the OBD II diagnostic port and was wondering if anyone has had success with it. I set it up as per YouTube videos and it seems to be off. Haven't compared to a Cat Weigh Scale yet. My 5th wheel hitch weight is advertised as 2840 lbs. According to Weigh Better it is only 1740 lbs. ???????
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich17 View Post
I bought the Weigh Better towing measurement instrument that plugs into the OBD II diagnostic port and was wondering if anyone has had success with it. I set it up as per YouTube videos and it seems to be off. Haven't compared to a Cat Weigh Scale yet. My 5th wheel hitch weight is advertised as 2840 lbs. According to Weigh Better it is only 1740 lbs. ???????
I have the original model (branded as 'Haul Gauge') and had this same issue. I had initially calibrated the unit using the more automated method of entering my VIN and like you, found the weighs to be pretty off. I contacted tech support about the inaccuracy and they had me redo the calibration using the manual process which takes about 15 minutes of parking lot starts and stops at various accelerations.

Accuracy in weighs with my original vehicle - as well as with our new truck -
was greatly improved through the manual calibration method. I think they advertise accuracy within 5% - so don't expect CAT scale like accuracy.

I also suggest shooting them an email if you continue to have issues.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich17 View Post

Sounds like the weigh better is a tad off IMO. The "advertised" pin weight is for a dry trailer coming off the line. That will probably be the lightest it will ever have been. That's a 16,500lb. gvw trailer so figure that pin, when loaded will be 3k or over. Which means you really want to check the payload on your 2500. The payload on that trailer is 2900lbs. so you may never reach that....or maybe you will?? Either way I'm thinking your weights are going to be very close or over. Just a heads up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
travelin texans

You need to stick with the more accurate Cat scales as that's a lot 5th wheel for a 3/4 ton truck. You need to be very accurate with weights even if loaded very light to keep under your trucks payload. The dry pin weight advertised is likely to be at or over the payload of a 3/4 & that's with no batteries, no propane & nothing loaded in the trailer or truck but you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
notanlines

Danny and Danny are on the money. I’d dump that thing and then head to CAT. At that weight accuracy is important.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I had initially calibrated the unit using the more automated method of entering my VIN and like you, found the weighs to be pretty off. I contacted tech support about the inaccuracy and they had me redo the calibration using the manual process which takes about 15 minutes of parking lot starts and stops at various accelerations.

I also suggest shooting them an email if you continue to have issues.
I bought a used unit last fall. It picked up the VIN, asked me to type in the yellow sticker number, asked me the typical weight of passengers and permanent cargo in the truck, then went through the "starts and stops at various accelerations" procedure. But I didn't get around to calibrating the trailer portions until a couple weeks ago, and when I tried, I found that the unit's Bluetooth radio had gone dead, so I ended up returning it and buying a replacement new.

The replacement was unable to pull up the VIN from the OBD, but the app was able to scan the door sticker. It didn't ask me anything about passenger weights (luckily, I had approximately the right weights riding with us at the time). The setup calibration process was different -- no varying accelerations, just medium acceleration every time, and no indication that there was any progress happening until the app said "You're done."

I'm going to be calibrating the trailer portions Monday, as I have to transport my rig on Monday anyway.

If you need help from Curt, I'd suggest you call rather than email. I emailed them a question Wednesday and still haven't heard back. But when I call, the hold times have always been very short (1-2 minutes) and I get a knowledgeable tech immediately without having to go through a "take your name please" drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danny and Danny are on the money. I’d dump that thing and then head to CAT. At that weight accuracy is important.
The unit has one interesting feature that, to me at least, makes it worth the price. It can tell you when your WD is set properly. On my hitch, the WD isn't a static link or bar setting, it's a continuous jack (actually, two), and you have to crank it up every hitchup. We use a "calibrated yardstick" to make the process more or less repeatable, but having confirmation that our initial settings weren't way off would be peace of mind, plus we can check from time to time for any "drift" in the WD assembly.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
notanlines

CD, "It can tell you when your WD is set properly" that alone may make it worth the price. I'll give you that much and take back my blanket statement....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
Jnich17

Thanks, I will do that.
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
CD, "It can tell you when your WD is set properly" that alone may make it worth the price. I'll give you that much and take back my blanket statement....
I performed the configuration yesterday, and it told me that my WD was woefully underset. Not that I encountered any discernible towing issues with the old setting, but we're taking a short trip with the rig today using the new settings, and we'll see if we can detect any difference.

Tags
tow, towing