Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #81
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmaster View Post
I tow a 27’ Cougar 27RESWE which weighs 6400# empty. With 60 gallons of water, just under 7000# with a 5.7L v-8, air bags, equalizer hitch, trailer brakes, S&B intake and 46 gallon fuel tank. Truck performs very well while towing between 60-70mph. I only get 8mpg when windy and 9mpg or better when not. Not diesel power, but adequate IMO. Toyota Tundra reliability plays heavily into my equation, as well as high cost of diesel TV. BIL pulls 32’ Reflection with a Ford 350 and only gets 2 mpg better traveling same route. There is no substitution for diesel and 1 ton rig, but Tundra is adequate for my purposes. I personally would never tow a TT weighing more than 7000# with the Tundra.
Sorry! Your numbers don't compute..
You say 6400# empty + the dealer added battery & propane equals 100#+, 100#+ hitch added, 500#+ of water added & 300#+ of fuel added to whatever you've loaded inside or in storage compartments of the RV equals over the 7000# you wouldn't tow with a Tundra.
Doesn't matter to me, but when I do the math the water alone put you over 7k by at least 200#.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #82
LHaven

Since I already know from personal experience that a 26' Cougar exceeds the payload capacity of any quarter-ton model I have been able to locate, these numbers don't fill me with optimism either.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #83
Trailmaster

TT, you are correct that I did not list everything. I assumed the battery and propane tanks was part of the 6400#. Even considering any added weight (Batteries, propane, equalizer hitch and small generator); I have not been concerned with my Tundra’s capabilities, so have not felt the urge to weigh my rig. Just returned from a 1k trip from Utah to Montana with no issues. I’m on the road constantly with 65k on my Tundra with zero mechanical issues. Hope you’ve had the same reliability with your TV.
Trailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #84
LHaven

I towed my Cougar with a half-ton for six months with zero mechanical issues also, but it was still overloaded. The risk is not so much mechanical issues or low mileage, it's getting into an incident due to emergency handling shortcomings and then being determined to be the party at fault, and your insurance not having your back because you were overloaded.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #85
Trailmaster

Hmm, my truck is a half ton, not quarter ton. I personally don’t care what anyone chooses as a TV, as long as it’s safe. I feel safe with my set-up and definitely don’t need to justify it in this forum. I will never buy a Dodge and when Ford and GM reliability improves, I MIGHT go shopping
Trailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #86
LHaven

Sorry, I misspoke. It was a half-ton (F-150), not a quarter-ton (I also fixed the original).
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #87
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmaster View Post
Hmm, my truck is a half ton, not quarter ton. I personally don’t care what anyone chooses as a TV, as long as it’s safe. I feel safe with my set-up and definitely don’t need to justify it in this forum. I will never buy a Dodge and when Ford and GM reliability improves, I MIGHT go shopping

I would point out that "feeling safe" because your TV can pull whatever is not actually "being safe". Do you have scale numbers for your "safe" rig? If not it's purely subjective on your part because it moves and "feels" safe. And no, you don't have to justify what you do to anyone on this forum. What you will have to do in the event of an accident being overloaded is justify exactly what "feeling safe" means vs mandated weight limits (and how you're weighed) to a jury with your future in the balance.

As far as Toyota vs Ram etc. I run Ram trucks period. I've owned all of them. New generation Rams are just as good as Toyota (I buy new Toyota SUVs all the time - 2020 4runner in the garage at home with 1700 miles), electronics are better as well as powertrain. Reliability is no longer in the corner of a Toyota...I know. What they do have, without doubt, is better resale value but, to me, that in no way compensates for all the other shortcomings they have....including towing ability. Might want to hone up on those weights.....just in case.

Edit: A 27reswe, from what I find, weighs 6494 dry; 8800 gvw and is 31' long??

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #88
bobbecky

If you continue to pull that much weight with that 1/2 ton truck, be sure to change the grease in the rear end regularly, as the gears in these lighter trucks are not very heavy and will fail if you do a lot of towing of that trailer. That's why 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are rated for the heavier trailers, as they have heavy components that will last under load.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:52 AM   #89
notanlines

Dirk, I read your "I feel safe with my set-up and definitely don’t need to justify it in this forum" with just a touch of concern. You list being an engineer by trade. My degree is in engineering, although after 4 years out of college I never worked in the field again. I don't think your general attitude regarding the weights, nor your insistence that 'My mind's made up. Don't confuse me with the facts' would set very well in most classrooms.
Humor us by taking your rig over the CAT scales and posting the results with your yellow sticker here. Let's have a discussion then, one where we all have a smile on our face, and then you'll know where you stand.
The majority of members here towing large RV's won't even get into a discussion of truck brands beyond the big three because they don't consider Toyota 'worthy.' And Nissan is unheard of. What is important is if you are going to tow overloaded you should be aware of just how far past safe you are so you can react accordingly.
I've spoken in the past of an individual in our present RV park in Wisconsin who pulls a monster'Seismic' toy hauler with an F250 diesel. I talked a little with him about three years ago just in vague terms about how he is way into dually territory. I then had to be schooled by him (me with a 350 dually) what a beast he had. All Bilsteins, air bags, on and on with his happy crap.
Guess what he shows with this year? Yup, a new Ford F250 Platinum. Go figure.
Now that I'm done rambling, just weigh the thing and lets go from there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #90
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim's comments are "spot on"...

I don't believe anyone on this forum "gets their jollies" from trying to "one up" someone (that they don't know and will likely never meet) who has a "smaller truck than their truck"...

Rather, I think that many "under rated rig owners" get upset when someone forces them to "think about the unknown"... Note that last word: UNKNOWN...

Anyone who tows a heavy trailer with ANY tow vehicle and who doesn't KNOW what their rig weighs is "kidding themself with guesses, not facts".

Weigh your rig, front axle on pad 1, rear axle on pad 2 and trailer axles on pad 3. Get out, remove the loading from the equalizer bars, weigh a second time, then pull off the scale, unhitch the trailer, return to the scale, front axle on pad 1 rear axle on pad 2. With those three weight slips, you'll have FACTS not GUESSES.... As for cost, the first weigh is $12 and each reweigh (within a 24 hour time frame) is $2.50, so your total cost should be $17. (FAQ question 12: https://catscale.com/contact-us/faq/ )

Whether you choose to share the FACTS on this forum is irrelevant, at least to me, but YOU really need to KNOW the FACTS so YOU can make INFORMED decisions about what you're towing on the public highways that WE share with you.

Bottom line: BE SAFE AND KNOW YOUR RIG'S CAPABILITY BASED ON FACTS, NOT GUESSES.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #91
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would point out that "feeling safe" because your TV can pull whatever is not actually "being safe". Do you have scale numbers for your "safe" rig? If not it's purely subjective on your part because it moves and "feels" safe. And no, you don't have to justify what you do to anyone on this forum. What you will have to do in the event of an accident being overloaded is justify exactly what "feeling safe" means vs mandated weight limits (and how you're weighed) to a jury with your future in the balance.

As far as Toyota vs Ram etc. I run Ram trucks period. I've owned all of them. New generation Rams are just as good as Toyota (I buy new Toyota SUVs all the time - 2020 4runner in the garage at home with 1700 miles), electronics are better as well as powertrain. Reliability is no longer in the corner of a Toyota...I know. What they do have, without doubt, is better resale value but, to me, that in no way compensates for all the other shortcomings they have....including towing ability. Might want to hone up on those weights.....just in case.

Edit: A 27reswe, from what I find, weighs 6494 dry; 8800 gvw and is 31' long??

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

A clarification on the above post I made:

When I stated "electronics are better as well as powertrain" I was alluding to Ram; and may as well be every other member of the Big 3. I have lamented to FCA many times their inability to upgrade drive trains and electronics. Braking on any Japanese truck definitely has shortcomings if towing.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #92
Beast2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchMom View Post
New here, first post
We own a 2015 Cougar 31SQB
Dry Weight 7213
Payload 1787
GVWR 9000
Hubby traded our previous truck for a 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L V8 4WD CrewMax
Tow capacity 9800
GVWR 7,200
Payload 1560
GCWR 16,000
I’m afraid our calculations were incorrect as far as what it can tow. I’ve spent the last 2 hours researching online only to be more confused than before I started. My best estimate, we’re over by at least 1000lbs. We’re not leaving the driveway until we can get confirmation. Any input is welcomed and appreciated!!
Welcome to towing! I had your same truck with a little less payload that yours and I pulled a 31’ TT with a loaded weight of 7500 lbs. I took the truck and trailer to the cat scales towards the end of the camping season. I was shocked to find out the actual weight of everything but I then knew why towing with this setup sucked. The hitch weight was 1140lbs!!! I upgraded the truck to an F350 CCSB 6.7 because we upgraded the camper this year. I see many other comments here saying your truck and camper combo is a bad idea and I would agree. It’ll do it barely but not safely and you won’t enjoy it at all. Sorry to deliver you the bad news but it’s better to know now.
Beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote