Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Eyesofblue

Black tank pull valve broke

Help,
We have a 2012 cougar xlite 28SGS . When hubby pulled handle ON black tank (something gave way) and now it will not fully open or close . Our dealer says it is a cable valve but they cannot get parts (2020 is a real pain !!!) does anyone know about these valves??
Or have replaced them .?? Now we sit with a tank full of $&&$ and it is just letting some liquid out . Any help would be appreciated.
Eyesofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
93stpd1

Black tank pull valve broke

I had a black tank valve handle break on mine. It was a black tank only no gray. I put a bolt on valve at the pipe end and eliminated the broken handle. If he can’t get parts it may be an easy quick fix till the parts come in. It would be a pain in the rear because you would be dumping often if it’s a shared discharge valve with your gray tank
93stpd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Laredo Tugger

You may have to get under the trailer in the area that the valve handle is located and cut the coroplast (that black cardboard/plastic) covering the underside of the trailer. You can use a knife (cut easy to avoid wires and such) to open access where the valve is located (cut 3 sides of the hole,like a door) and follow the cable to the correct valve. You may find the cable is either broke or got bound up,either way you should be able to manually operate the valve and shut it off.
Some Gorilla tape and small zip ties is the best to tape up the seems of your cut coroplast. It also leaves you a way back in for future problems with your plumbing.
Good luck,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Gary R.

That happened to me a few months ago. Pulled the black tank T-handle, and the cable snapped about 4 inches into the cable. So I ventured under the trailer and found the factory had already cut a three-sided opening that allowed me to reach up and manually open the valve, and get the tank drained. The next day, I went to the RV store and by golly they had a replacement in stock. Paid the man, took it home and installed it. Works just fine. They also gave me some what they called "bottom tape" to secure the opening.

I am of the opinion that keeping the cables lubricated is important.

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
mikec557

Just a couple pictures of my recent gray dump handle repair... Mine was a rod instead of cable, but cutting open the coroplast is generally the same. Except for this, my gate was near the edge of the frame. I was able to make 2 cuts and use the edge of the coroplast as the 3rd edge. Cut so that the 4th side is the hinge, and the hinge is at the front side of the trailer. Think of it this way, if your "tape it closed" job failed, and you were towing it down the highway, the wind under the trailer would blow the trap door closed. Hope that makes sense.

If you do have a cable instead of rod, your gate may be more inbound than mine. Take out a couple screws holding up the coroplast and see if you can see where the gate is located, cut your trap door there.

BTW, I washed an area about 2 inches wide on either side of the cut for the total length of the cut with rubbing alcohol. Then dry it with a paper towel. I used 2in wide black gorilla tape and it's holding up great.

One more caution about cutting the coroplast. My gray water tank is on the other side. Don't slice into your tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200716_125649222.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	29344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200716_125719544.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	29345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200716_125902644.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	29346  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
That happened to me a few months ago. Pulled the black tank T-handle, and the cable snapped about 4 inches into the cable. So I ventured under the trailer and found the factory had already cut a three-sided opening that allowed me to reach up and manually open the valve, and get the tank drained. The next day, I went to the RV store and by golly they had a replacement in stock. Paid the man, took it home and installed it. Works just fine. They also gave me some what they called "bottom tape" to secure the opening.

I am of the opinion that keeping the cables lubricated is important.

Take care!
Hi Gary

This just happened to our rig as well. Only the cable did not break the plastic tube the cable runs thru and backing nut broke. You said you purchased the part and I was wondering if you had to buy the entire valve with cable and "T" handle or ?

Thx...Larry
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Gary R.

Hello Larry,

The pull cable is attached to the valve with a hex set screw, so you don't have to remove the valve from the tank.

We purchased the cable assembly with the "T" handle attached.

Hope this helps!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Hello Larry,

The pull cable is attached to the valve with a hex set screw, so you don't have to remove the valve from the tank.

We purchased the cable assembly with the "T" handle attached.

Hope this helps!

Take care!
Thank you Gary, I appreciate the information.
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank