Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Matelot

2015 Alpine 3010RE A/C mystery

The previous owner of our fifth wheel mention that he had his friendly local A/C guy add charging connections to both units, as it was "ridiculous to scrap the AC unit just because its low on refrigerant!" The multi-$100 question I failed to ask was if his A/C guy fixed the leak(s) before re-charging the units.

Well, I don't think I need to continue.

My question is how do I replace the A/C units? The fifth wheel is fully ducted with no access below the units on the ceiling and I assume that the units are bolted from below.

Guidance or advise?

Thanks
2015 Alpine 3010RE
2019 Ram 3500, DRW, LB, 4X4, Aisin
Matelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
travelin texans

Fairly certain they're bolted from the top, accessed by removing the shroud, with a foam gasket between the unit & roof.
My thought is IF you can find a HVAC guy that will go onto the roof to check it for leaks, possibly recharge if needed it would MUCH cheaper than replacing the units.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

/\ /\ yup! Take off the shroud, and most likely the metal “top” where the return air duct would be.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Roscommon48

get a RV service guy out there and tell him you'd like to save the a/c if possible.

are you ready to take it off yourself? probably not if you don't know how they're attached--bolted.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Matelot

I'll take the shrouds off tomorrow, it being 105F outside, I'll put the trailer inside before I venture on top. Pretty much decided to replace both units.

I have replaced a few RV A/Cs during a short employment at a RV shop, but never came across this set up before.
Matelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
ChuckS

Everything you need access to for removing and replacing either AC unit on your Alpine is located under the cover of each unit... also replace with compatible model and set dip switches correctly ... then you must do a reset on thermostat.

Also... have BOTH 120VAC and 12vdc turned completely off and disconnect battery prior to replacing either unit...

Both AC units have 12 vdc power ALL the time to their respective control modules even with thermostat off...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:04 AM   #7
wagonicfolding

Hey, I'm the same way. My travel trailer is a hybrid with two fold out queen beds and is 22 ft. long, so probably pretty similar to what you may wind up with. I'll tell you, the AC in that thing is a lifesaver. We had a few afternoons recently where we wanted a nap and turned on the AC. Twenty minutes later the whole thing was a comfortable 65. It honestly works so well sometimes it gets too cold in there for my wife.
wagonicfolding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine