Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
JTCompton

2007 Cougar 289EFS BH electrical issues.

I'm hoping someone can give us some insight. We bought this camper last month off of craigslist and everything seemed to be working when we brought it home. We had it plugged into our 30amp plug at our house for about a week and a half and for the post part everything was working but the a/c seemed less cool by the end of it. So we decided we would have that checked out once we got back.
We then hauled it to where we were staying and when we got there the slides would barely go out and once plugged in stuff still wasn't working. They checked the box and got it "fixed". We had power for the afternoon, but then when we got there that night it wasn't working again. Breaker was tripped so turned it back on. A/C then would kick on and shut right back off and if a light switch was turned on the A/C would kick off even if it was working. Unplugged at box, flipped breakers off then on then plugged back in and everything seemed to be working. Stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights to see what it did and seemed to be working fine, on the third night we went to stay in the camper and the lights were super dim.
We then tried moving campsites to see if it was the box. It worked for a couple days there and on the second day we woke up to dim lights and A/C kicking on and off. We had to plug the camper into the truck to even get the jacks to come up. We checked the battery and it was fine, checked the wires to the battery and amps were very low.
So we replaced the converter and the A/C was working right and the lights were nice and bright so we thought everything was good. Now we went to try to use an outlet and none of them are working. We checked breakers, none are tripped, my husband is pretty positive all wires were hooked up well to the converter.

Does anyone have any tips for the outlets and do you agree that the original problem was the converter?
JTCompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
tech740

The outlets could be as simple as a popes GFI outlet. Usually located in the bathroom. Try the reset button.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

JTCompton,

Did you, by any chance, when you first brought it home, disconnect the batteries, clean them, replace them (or some other maintenance) then reinstall them on the trailer?????

Your problem sounds very much like the reverse polarity fuses on the converter may have blown. They are the two red 40 amp fuses located on the converter itself (on your 2007 trailer). On newer trailers, they are located just to the left of the "vertical fuse bar"...

If you touch the battery cables "in reverse polarity" to the battery terminals, those fuses blow to protect the trailer DC systems and converter from damage. Once blown, there is no 12 VDC to the batteries until they are replaced.

From your description, it sounds like your batteries aren't getting charged.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:18 PM   #4
2007CougarYearRounders

When we got ours the reverse polarity fuses were blown. I disconnected the range hood because it was causing problems. My slides are currently not working and I think it is electrical as well.
2007CougarYearRounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:18 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007CougarYearRounders View Post
When we got ours the reverse polarity fuses were blown. I disconnected the range hood because it was causing problems. My slides are currently not working and I think it is electrical as well.
You were replying to a four year old thread and the original poster has not been on this site since then. Suggest you start a new thread and give more info on your camper; year, make and model. Also you might want to note more info on how you are plugged in and info about your battery(s). That will help a lot.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, electrical