Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
syoung

Water in front wall activated by heat?

I have a 2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH. After winter storage (outside) noticed some water marks inside down the curved front wall. Checked the roof, and the Dicor had some cracks. Cleaned and put new seal everywhere, so I feel comfortable the roof is fine now.

No rain in days, but each day, when the afternoon sun hits the front of the camper, and the shell gets really hot, I notice small amounts of water dripping down the same spots...inside wall, down the curvature...and eventually out the bottom of the camper. Cool morning, no sun, no water. Afternoon sun, hot camper...water. It's like the wall is "sweating" from the heat. What is happening? Can water 'stay' in the wall and never dry out? Could the insulation have absorbed water during the winter, and it just won't dry out?? There is no new water on the camper from rain, but yet every day, it drips out a half cup or so. Any thoughts? I hate to open up a wall, and not even sure how, but I can't figure out what is going on 'inside' the wall.

Appreciate any help, thoughts, guidance.
Steve
Old 06-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Big 417

Probably lacking insulation in the front. Forming condensation.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

The water probably leaked long enough to soak into everything. As it heats up, it evaporates out of the material and then condenses on the smooth surface and drips down to the lowest point. It will stop eventually (unless it is still leaking) but probably not before you grow a jungle of mold, mushrooms and rot. If yours has a front bedroom, that’s too close and you need to take immediate action
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Just "thinking outside the box" for a minute. You need to find a way to dry the insulation and the space behind the front cap. In your floorplan, there are two wardrobes, one on each side of the bed, which puts them on each side of the front cap. You may find a cutout in the lower part of the passthrough where a wiring harness passes through. Then again, you may not find any access to the front cap space.

What I'd consider doing is to cut two 4" holes in the top of the wardrobes, one on each side and cut two holes in the passthrough, at each side. That would allow you to place a couple of computer disc fans in the top of the wardrobes, and allow that "forced air" to dry the space. It will probably take 3 or 4 weeks of "off and on venting" to dry the area. Once the space is dry and the symptoms subside, then you can address closing the holes. There are lots of products that you can use, but I'd consider just using some 3 pound coffee can lids and some sealant to hold them in place. After all, who is going to be "inside the wardrobe, behind the hanging clothes, looking at workmanship ??? Same goes for the passthrough "front wall"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, water