Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
NSTS1470

safe place.to stay

Im hoping to land somewhere in South Carolia for the night. I was thinking of Florence, SC. Google maps shows that about 16 hrs. Seemed like a good place, 2 walmarts to try and sleep at and 2 close by truck stops as options also. But then i did some research online and crime in that area doesnt look very good. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for decent areas along 95 in that area. Trying to get the majority of driving done saturday so sunday we get to disney before dinner.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
mikell

Like most cities there's a good and bad part of town look up the Walmart camping listings and that should help.Might look for campgrounds close to the exit. Our campground is about 2 miles from Wal Mart and we've had alot of people who wouldn't even think of staying in their parking lot. Noise trucks and crime
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
hankaye

NSTS1470, Howdy;

Did a quick search and saw this for the 10 miles radius...

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/search.php

Have a safe trip.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
NSTS1470

Once again thanks for all the help. I have gone ahead and made a reservation for a campground right off the highway. Little better piece of mind. thanks everyone for all the feedback.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
rjsurfer

God bless you, I can't imagine driving 16 hours straight if I'm reading you're post right.

After 6 hours I'm ready for a nap.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Walmart or other free areas

I would stay home before staying at a free, unguarded site, barring an emergency health or mechanical issue. Just coming off a 7,000 mile trip, we NEVER had ANY issue finding a "reasonable" campground at a fair price. We are Good Sam And KOA members. The most expensive site was in Birmingham, AL where there are limited campgrounds. Even that was $44. We carry "mifi" wireless and book 3 hours in front of where we intend to rest.

Most truck drivers have a gun and are prepared to protect themselves. Hopefully they never have to. Many of my RV motorhome buddies are armed and are ex vets and know how to defend themselves. Even these guys avoid truck stops. Shooting someone makes a bad ending to a good trip, deserved or not.

When you pull into a "free" area, you set yourself up as a potential target. Bad people know you are there, generally have cash and credit cards and know the area police runs.

Don't know about you, I don't relish a knock on my door at 3am.

Plenty will respond they never had any issue. WISE selection and lack of fear may suffice for them. Hope they never have an issue. For me. no thanks.
I am a vet, highly skilled marksman and able to take care of myself and family. BUT, this is supposed to be relaxing and fun. ( I think).

We NEVER had a moments concern in 3 months for our safety.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Ruffus

Georgia

If you can make it to Georgia our state parks are only $28 a night, $22.70 if your 62 or older and that includes water & electric. Drive safe and honk on your way through!!!!
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree completely that staying in unpatrolled unsupervised rest areas is risky, and in most states, it's also illegal. Most rest areas that I've stopped at during travels have signs posted, "No overnight parking"

As some have said, I'm also armed, but what a way to end a camping trip

A word of caution to those who, like me in times past, put your name on the RV somewhere, be careful.... We had a sign on all our RV's until the mid 2000's that read: "OUR OUTHOUSE, John, Terri and Christy <last name>, Alexandria, LA" (Or wherever we were living at the time)

One evening, we had a drunk come knocking on our door yelling, "Hey John, old buddy" Never met the "gentleman" and after a DAMNED SERIOUS discussion, he left us alone. In today's world, I really don't want myself or my family in that kind of situation ever again. Leave your name and location off your RV... Just a suggestion

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Outbackmel

Good ideas

GA State Parks are safe and generally have openings. Super suggestion to remove your name when traveling. That's exactly the reason my children and grand children NEVER wear jackets with their names on them. NOR do we ever have name license plates. Someone calling your kids by name (or your spouse) can catch that person off guard.

We do not live in the 50's and 60's anymore. If people (strangers) know you are away from home, you just made your home vulnerable. Twitter and other social networks help crooks benefit from knowledge.

Years ago FL began de identifying rental vehicles because of danger associated with people driving in a troubled, crime area, and being taken advantage of. This was expecially true of foreign travelers around Ft Lauderdale and Miami. They also removed the county designation from the FL plate.

This is just common sense and often we forget to pay attention. These reminders are helpful. Not just for campers. Our 36 yr old daughter teaches nights at a local college. She tries to leave and walk to her car with the adult students, but, not always possible. She walks with the highest power pepper spray in her hand. Says it was the best stocking stuffer she ever received from me. We have one in the RV as well.

One last GREAT suggestion for us trailer folk: keep your truck keys at the bed stand within EZ reach. Your "panic" (flashes and horn) will activate from inside your RV. Also helpful in a 911 emergency health call. May be someone nearby who can assist you or a loved one until professionals arrive.

Camp fun; camp smart.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
misplacedtxn

I saw on the GA state parks website that it is a two night stay minimum. Is that strictly enforced if they know you are just passing through? SC states the same policy.

Pulled by:
2004 5.9 Dodge Cummins 3500 DRW 6spd 4X4 HO 305/555 3:73, Quadzilla XZT, Ranch Hand front end, Brown's running boards, Donaldson 41" muffler, B&W gooseneck w/ companion.
misplacedtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Outbackmel

GA 2 night min stay

This is for Fri/Sat/Sun. Call each place you are interested in for more specific info. I believe, based upon your message, you have the correct webite. All camp info and numbers are listed.

www.gastateparks.org

go to "state parks"

go to "facilities"

This area explains each park and ability to reserve.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION: know your obstacles when reserving a spot. Many state parks have POOR lighting and some sites are in positions that are not overly "back up" or level friendly. Some of the GA parks will fool you. People think of GA as "flat"....BAD assumption. Especially state parks.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
NSTS1470

Well made it back safe and sound. We left MA on a Saturday at 5:30am and landed in Florence south Carolina at 10:30pm. We made a reservation for florence rv park. Worked out perfect, about 1/2 mile off 95. Left there at 6:30 and landed in disney at 3:30. On the return trip we left disney at 8:30 am and make it to Emporia Virginia around 9pm. Stayed at a jellystone campgriund that was about 2miles off 95. Vleft there at 6:30 and got home at 8pm thanks to connecticut traffic. Long days considering i was the only one driving. Feltvmuch better staying at a campground. Thanks everyone for all your opinions help. It was greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Outbackmel

Welcome home

Glad to hear your trip was 'tiring" but mechanically uneventful. That's the way we all wish every outing to finish! GREAT choice on staying at secure campgrounds. MOST of us out there prefer that method. Others have had good experiences at alternative locations. Me and DW, we prefer private campgrounds. Never had any "terrible" experiences using Good Sam/KOA/Yogi etc. Occasionally too much noise, too many yapping dogs, too much light....BUT, no one EVER approached our camper for any reason uninvited.

Hey, US fuel prices are stable....let's go! Already booked at Pirateland at the ocean in Myrtle Beach in August.

Right now enjoying our drop dead gorgeous permanent site in the north Georgia mountains of Dahlonega.
http://www.rranchga.com

Sometimes sitting there having coffee, I have to pinch myself to believe it's real and happening around us. Ya'll have a good day now; ya hear?!