Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
jsmith948

Problem with slide

Well, we uncovered our 5er in preperation for our upcoming trip to see the grandkids in Wa - the DW needed the slides extended in order to clean and pack some supplies - the LH slide won't extend
Batteries fully charged, motor engages but the room won't move - we just get that clicking or ratcheting sound that one hears when the rooms fully extend or retract
These are Lippert above the floor electric - can't get to the manual over rides without cutting or dropping the coroplast because our model 5er has the shorter slides on each side.
Called the dealer and heading to Colton tomorrow for repairs
upside is we discovered the problem before we left on our trip - and it is under warranty - downside is it's 5 hrs to the dealer (no complaint - I knew this when I bought the unit)
Has anyone had any experience with these type of slides/motors/gears failing?
I fear that we'll get hung up waiting for parts and miss our reservations - bummer - hopefuly the dealer stocks slide parts

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Herap

Sorry to hear about your slide issue. I can't help you here as ours are hydraulic, however, with a new trailer and a 'clicking' sound. It 'sounds' like something may be misaligned and 'should' be an easy adjustment for the dealer. Let's keep our fingers crossed as that may be all it is. Keep us all informed as to what it turns out to be so we can help others down the road with the same issue. Good Luck!

Ray
Old 04-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Ruffus

Thumbs up Slide Problem

Hey Jack
Just a note to let you know that this type of slide is very sensitive to alighnment. I have one, kitchen slide that works sometimes and not on other because it's a little bit out of alighnment. Two things I do is:
1. Rock the switch back and forth until you hear a clunk, which means it's engaged, then it should open. If this doesn't work go to step 2.
2. I carry a large cresent wrench to loosen the end nut and the bell looking stop on the shaft. As soon as the shaft stop is loosened it will open, just remember to retighten it.
The only reason I am telling you this is because I have had mine to the dealer, numerous dealers, several times to have this corrected and they all say it's fixed then it starts again. I refuse to let this minor problem to keep me from camping and traveling. Good luck at the dealer.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
jsmith948

Thanks, Jim and Ray, for the quick responses. DW and I are encouraged to learn that it might only be an adjustment issue as opposed to something stripped out in the mechanism. I loosened the jam nut on the actuator but could not get the "stop can" to turn and loosen - very tight against the frame(and afraid of damage if I get too rough with it) hopefully nothing is busted in the little gearbox. We'll let you know how we make out at Thompson's

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Jim W

You need a large pipe wrench (14”) that can be placed around the plated bell housing. I had the same issue with the entertainment slide not extending. We were cleaning the camper and my DW closed the entertainment slide to get her car out and the slide would not extend again. I called the dealer and he suggests that I try this first.
1. Mark on the threads were nut is now with a permanent marker.
2. Loosen and back off nut several turns past marks on threads.
3. Mark location of bell housing on the threads.
4. Loosen bell housing with a pipe wrench, move the bell housing past the mark for the bell housing.
5. Extend out slide.
6. Reposition bell housing a thread or two before the old bell housing location. Hold the bell housing in this position.
7. Retighten nut against the bell housing ensuring the bell housing does not move.
I followed his instructions and we have never had an adjustment issue with slide and it opens and closes with no issues.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
jsmith948

Great info which is greatly appreciated. Left the 5er with Thompson's RV this morning - we'll see what they have to say - service adviser said it might be the motor - we'll see - if they get hung up on the issue - I do own a 14" pipewrench - thaniks everyone for the help

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
jsmith948

Just an update to our slider problem - advice we received from a couple of forum members was dead on - the room was simply jammed - no damage to any of the components - the tech did, however, discover some faulty wiring that could have failed further down the road. All repaired under warranty
Headed to WA next week after all - can't wait to see our grandsons (and their parents)!
Thanks to those who helped out with their advice
Jack

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Ruffus

Thumbs up Slide Problem

Hey Jack & Marty
Glad you got your slide fixed and I hope you have a great and safe trip. Hey while your in WA say hi to our kids, will ya? Thanks LOL
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Herap

Glad all is well now and in time for your trip. Have a great time .

Ray
Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
NWTTrailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Just an update to our slider problem - advice we received from a couple of forum members was dead on - the room was simply jammed - no damage to any of the components - the tech did, however, discover some faulty wiring that could have failed further down the road. All repaired under warranty
Headed to WA next week after all - can't wait to see our grandsons (and their parents)!
Thanks to those who helped out with their advice
Jack

This was good news. I know 2 little guys that are lookin forward to some quality time with GrandMa and GrandPa. Besides we need to have a couple of Barley Pops and tell Sea Stories
NWTTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote