Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Jimindi2

2012 Cougar 30RLS - Comments?

We would love to hear more information about potential things to avoid with our new coach. Our previous was a M21 Edge and we needed more room. We cannot wait to hit the road with it but unfortunately the fire in the AZ White Mountains will keep us away from our favorite haunts for a while. ( I LOVE the 3 steps, they are so easy for me, previously it was rather high and the 10th time up and down started to bug my knee. Can someone tell me more about what is the "Cougar remote?"
Thanks!
Jimindi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
hankaye

Jimindi2, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum.
Have some patience someone with one of those 'techy' do-thingies' should be around soon to help you out.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
ifishsum

The Cougar Remote is a system that allows you the option to operate the slide-out, electric awning, security light (docking lights on a FW) and front landing gear (FW) using a wireless key fob remote.
ifishsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

We just bought a 2012 30 RLS last night and curious what other owners think about it and take advantage of your learning experiences. We pull with a 2009Ford F150 Supercrew. We traded in a KZ 23CR hybrid. Did a lot of research, but there is too much info but not much worthwhile.
This is our first keystone product....hope they are better than KZ!
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
dspriggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old soldier View Post
We just bought a 2012 30 RLS last night and curious what other owners think about it and take advantage of your learning experiences. We pull with a 2009Ford F150 Supercrew. We traded in a KZ 23CR hybrid. Did a lot of research, but there is too much info but not much worthwhile.
This is our first keystone product....hope they are better than KZ!
We do not have exactly the same model as you, but we have a 2010 Cougar 302 RLS so it should be very similar. We have had a Keystone Bullet and now this Keystone Cougar and have enjoyed both. Hopefully your experience will also be good with your Cougar.
Since you asked for the benefit of my learning experience, I would recommend that you review the posts on this forum concerning towing capacities. There is a currently active post concerning a travel trailer of similar size and weight and there are a lot of older post that can be found using the search functionality on the forum. I towed the Bullet with a half ton truck, but having done the math on my Cougar, I believe towing the 302 RLS with a half ton truck could be a risky activity. It tows really well with a 3/4 ton truck however.
Maximum towing capacity numbers that are published by the truck manufacturers and that are quoted by eager sales people can be misleading. The payload ratings are exceeded well before the maximum towing capacity ratings are exceeded. You may have already analyzed this, but if not you will probably want to look at it.

PawPaw and KJMiMi
2010 Keystone Cougar 302 RLS
2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Gas
Allison Transmission
Equal-i-zer Tow Hitch
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Towing 30rls

Tow capacity was and is an important issue. I checked with two Ford dealer Service managers plus three camper dealers. Hopefully they are all correct: that I can tow it safely. The Service Manager advised me to stay under 7,000 pounds and not take everything in my house. Advised me the Screw would do fine. The tow capacity is 8,300 pounds for my Screw. The camper is 6,850 pounds dry. I weighed everything before reloading stuff from the old camper. We are staying under the max weight but agree it would be best to use a heavier truck. Oddly enough, the F150 actually tows better than the F250 according to multiple dealers...including one who knew in advance I wouldn't be buying from him.

I already found some things about the 30rls I don't like. The new "doghouse" has to be removed every time I hook up or break down! The two LP tanks ad to be moved back as they blocked the point where my weight distribution bar saddles had to go. That also means I have to remove the right tank to access the battery. Just gets better all the time! I addressed this with Keystone twice last week. Response was less than impressive. Customer Service said they would record my issue for use by the design team for future changes. I raised the question again that if the design is causing a known problem, then does Keystone have a workaround? She slid right past the question two for two. I also mentioned that there were two identical 30rls campers side by side, but they had differences. One difference was that my rear "bumper" has two steel L-brackets welded to the point where the bumper meets the frame and the other one didn't. I said my old KZ bumper weld broke due to the spare tire and bicycle carrier whipping on highways. She said Keystone diesnt advise anything on the bumper...but Keystone mounts the spare and a grill platform there! If we cant carry two bikes on the humogous camper, why not? I see other campers doing soall the time. There were other items, as well. But the "doghouse" issue is most troubling. That thing is light weight, has a huge cross section, and acts like a sail in wndy conditions. It's going to be a pain removing that thing twice every time we move and when I service my battery. I really hope Keystone gets better with age. With only one tow and two weeks together, I have reservations about Keystone.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
twoclaws

What type of hitch/weight distribution system are you using?
We have looked at the Cougar rls and found it to be very nice. I did notice on the one today the "size of the frame" seemed much bigger that the other two trailer we have had?
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote