Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
MidMoCamper

Using in winter

My family and I just bought a Hideout. Next week I was wanting to take it on a hunting trip. The weather is supposed to be in the upper 40's/mid 20's where I'm going. The tanks are not enclosed. I have never owned a travel trailer but am wondering if I will have a problem with freezing. Some of my friends say I'll be ok but others are more skeptical. I hate to ruin something my first time out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
MidMoCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
hankaye

MidMoCamper, Howdy;

How long do you intend to be 'camping' ?
You could drop 1 gal. of the Pink RV anti freeze into each tank, Except the fresh water tank. It's safer for pets incase anything leaks (it is new ...not perfect).

Is there anything in your paperwork that says anything about 'heated tanks' ?

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

You could have a problem with freezing - with your tanks, your water lines and your FW pump. This potential issue depends upon a number of factors: how long your camping trip will be, the length of time you might be exposed to freezing temperatures and several others. When you have your furnace running, there will be a small amount of warm air that will offer some protection to your pipes/plumbing but ONLY WHEN your furnace is operating. You might, as hankaye suggested, pour some RV antifreeze into your holding tanks to help prevent them from freeze up.
Have you considered winterizing your RV before you go and take enough bottled water with you for drinking and containers of water for washing, etc.? You can always heat water on the stove rather than using your HW heater.
I don't think that the Hideout has heated tanks and unless you will be plugged in that feature won't be of much use. If you are going to be plugged in, then you can keep your unit reasonably warm and cozy but you still need to watch your water lines as they would still be in danger of freezing. The black, Coroplast underbelly does not offer that much proctection against long periods of freezing temperatures.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Outbackmel

Listen to Festus

Just follow his advice and you should be fine. I always do the bottled water deal in freezing conditions. I keep my water lines winterized with PINK anti freeze or if swapping from warm to cold to warm climates,etc...read the weather and at least blow them out if you are heading to a cold zone. I do not use my RV water system ON MOST TRIPS BELOW 30 degrees. Cold and plastic = not good.

Bottled water is CHEAP and plentiful. I also keep a bottle of pink anti freeze with me to throw a little in each drain...trust me, broken plumbing ain't fun...
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
SteveC7010

I agree. Fully winterize the water system. Bring bottled water for drinking and cooking. Gallon jugs or bigger for washing, toilet flush, etc. Use dish pans instead of the sinks and then pour all gray liquids if you can. Start the black tank with about 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze.

Your water system contains a lot of very expensive to replace components so better to protect them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
MidMoCamper

Thank you all for the info. The trip is 4days/3nights. As it gets closer the forecast looks better and better. The camper was winterized when we bought it so I may just leave well enough alone. I hate to screw something up on the inaugural trip. I can get by with bottled water, the toilet would be a nice change from what we've been using on this yearly trek though (a long walk and a big tree). I was worried about the tanks freezing. I didn't think it would be below 32deg long enough to matter but I hadn't considered the water pump. I don't even know where it is yet. The tanks are expose to the air. The gray and black are out in the open and the fresh has a thin corrugated plastic bottom.
MidMoCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
mikell

I would use it but I'm like that . Get Some duct tape and tape some plastic around the permiter for windbreak around the bottom the ground will be warm enough to keep it from freezing.Shovel a bit of dirt on the plastic to hold it to the ground. Going in and out above freezing . My old TT I found 4' x20' blue plastic painters tarps and cut them in half used them for many years. If the grounds above freezing you'll be fine
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Retired_Jim

Smile

For your trip that short, just leave the trailer winterized, bring and use a porti-potty, and buy a supplement electric heater to stay toasty. Enjoy the campgrounds that are less crowded and the fires under the night sky are remarkable.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote