Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
OfcMav254

WDH/Airbag hookup sequence

Recently equipped TV with airlift 5000s and I am curious if anyone here runs those with a WDH and what hookup procedure you go through. WDH first to level as best as possible then put air in the bags? Is that running risk of too much or unnecessary stress on the air lines? Inflate bags first with XXpsi then hook up the wdh? Any tips? I was thinking of WDH first then finish with airbag inflate. Thanks for the advice in advance!!
OfcMav254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
kennyskywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfcMav254 View Post
Recently equipped TV with airlift 5000s and I am curious if anyone here runs those with a WDH and what hookup procedure you go through. WDH first to level as best as possible then put air in the bags? Is that running risk of too much or unnecessary stress on the air lines? Inflate bags first with XXpsi then hook up the wdh? Any tips? I was thinking of WDH first then finish with airbag inflate. Thanks for the advice in advance!!
The manual says to add psi incrementally, I measure heigth first, attach hitch, adjust incrementally

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's consider two functions at the same time. Most of us "raise" our hitch ball (using the jack) to unload the WD bars taking all tension off them so we can hitch easier. It makes for an easier "leverage" of the bars because they have no weight on them.

So, consider that you hitch your trailer, set the WD bars and then "raise the hitch ball" using the air bags.... I'd ask: What is the difference in unloading the WD bars using the hitch to raise the ball or using the air bags to raise the ball ????

The purpose of establishing a level/slightly nose down trailer attitude, then loading the WD bars to transfer hitch weight to the TV front axle/trailer axles is a function of hitch ball height. If, after setting it up you change the height, you've changed the torsion on the WD bars and changed the weight transfer. If your air bags "raise" the hitch, you raise the nose of the trailer but more importantly, you unload the WD bars and decrease the weight being applied to the front axle.

So, which ever method you use, make sure you have appropriate weight on the front axle, make sure the trailer is "level/slightly nose down" and make sure to always do your hitch procedure the same way. It's my understanding that the air bags should be set, then the hitch connected and properly adjusted, then LEAVE THE HITCH HEIGHT ALONE or you'll change the loading.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
OfcMav254

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let's consider two functions at the same time. Most of us "raise" our hitch ball (using the jack) to unload the WD bars taking all tension off them so we can hitch easier. It makes for an easier "leverage" of the bars because they have no weight on them.

So, consider that you hitch your trailer, set the WD bars and then "raise the hitch ball" using the air bags.... I'd ask: What is the difference in unloading the WD bars using the hitch to raise the ball or using the air bags to raise the ball ????

The purpose of establishing a level/slightly nose down trailer attitude, then loading the WD bars to transfer hitch weight to the TV front axle/trailer axles is a function of hitch ball height. If, after setting it up you change the height, you've changed the torsion on the WD bars and changed the weight transfer. If your air bags "raise" the hitch, you raise the nose of the trailer but more importantly, you unload the WD bars and decrease the weight being applied to the front axle.

So, which ever method you use, make sure you have appropriate weight on the front axle, make sure the trailer is "level/slightly nose down" and make sure to always do your hitch procedure the same way. It's my understanding that the air bags should be set, then the hitch connected and properly adjusted, then LEAVE THE HITCH HEIGHT ALONE or you'll change the loading.....

Good explanation, I am at that point where I'm trying to understand the weight concepts and how they relate to one another when a force is applied in either direction on the WDH and utilizing the airbags. I obviously want to maximize the benefits of both devices while towing.
OfcMav254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Javi

https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...s-air-springs/
Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
OfcMav254

Perfect thank you!