Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Rubicon100

Looking for tires

Well we had our second nice weekend of camping and the truck pulls the camper great. The only thing that I have to do is replace the p rated tires. I never felt unsafe and kept the speed around 65 but I can't get used to the mashmelo feeling. I'm thinking about bf Goodrich at's but I'm stuck between those and Michelin all terrain. Any difference in road noise. Obligory picture of the wife cooking fresh blue gills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_195146.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	12378  
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Which exact tires are you considering? Lots of difference in ride and noise depending on tread patterns. Seems like everything is called an AT tread nowadays. If you do any offroading or boonie stuff you probably want a little more aggressive tread.

Every BFG tire I've owned with an aggressive tread; all terrain K02, rugged terrain, rugged trail...are noisy. Even the rugged trail was very loud, to me, when it got over 10k or so. The Michelin LTX MS2 was quieter, and probably the quietest of the ATs; but it's tread wasn't very aggressive. the LTX AT2 was noisier. I'm thinking I'm going with the Premier LTX this go round. It's not aggressive but I don't get off road like I used to.

Note: you can't beat bluegills. One of my favorite snacks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Rubicon100

I'm slowing down on the off-road stuff lol. I think I'll look into the Michelin ltx . Anything is gotta be better than p rated. I hit the scales again today and I'm awful close to the max gvwr. I'm going to try and get the wife to help even the camper load, We are pretty good on the trailer weight. Its really nice knowing I'm staying with my limits. It takes a lot of stress out of the guessing. Thanks for the tire options I'll definitely look them up.
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Which exact tires are you considering? Lots of difference in ride and noise depending on tread patterns. Seems like everything is called an AT tread nowadays. If you do any offroading or boonie stuff you probably want a little more aggressive tread.

Every BFG tire I've owned with an aggressive tread; all terrain K02, rugged terrain, rugged trail...are noisy. Even the rugged trail was very loud, to me, when it got over 10k or so. The Michelin LTX MS2 was quieter, and probably the quietest of the ATs; but it's tread wasn't very aggressive. the LTX AT2 was noisier. I'm thinking I'm going with the Premier LTX this go round. It's not aggressive but I don't get off road like I used to.

Note: you can't beat bluegills. One of my favorite snacks.
Sourdough, have you ever used the Defender LTX M/S? I have used the LTX M/S2 and thought they were a great tire. I talked to the local dealer last week and he was telling me the Defenders, which replaced the M/S2, are not holding up very well when used on the heavier trucks especially when loaded heavy such as towing trailer. Just trying to find out if this is true or if he was just trying to move a brand that they keep in stock.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:20 AM   #5
NorskeBob

What replaced the OEMs with these - wearing good and no issues when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0283.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	12382  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
CWtheMan

No matter what brand tires you decide to use for replacements, make sure they have a factory warranty. Many of the popular brands will not warranty LT tires when used on a vehicle that has Original Equipment Passenger tires (P), unless they are authorized by the vehicle manufacturer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Rubicon100

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I ask ahead of time. Thanks Dan
Old 04-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
Sourdough, have you ever used the Defender LTX M/S? I have used the LTX M/S2 and thought they were a great tire. I talked to the local dealer last week and he was telling me the Defenders, which replaced the M/S2, are not holding up very well when used on the heavier trucks especially when loaded heavy such as towing trailer. Just trying to find out if this is true or if he was just trying to move a brand that they keep in stock.

I have not used the Defender. I said I thought I would go with the Premier but it's not available in my tire size...just the Defender. I hate to hear about that because the only other alternative is the Firestone TransForce....which has been a very good tire. Thought I would go with the Michelin's because I have had good luck with them; if there is a problem with them I'll have to go with the Firestone's. I'll check it out and thanks for the heads up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
Tbos

I had defender LTX M/S on my Silverado for the last year before I traded it in. Never had an issue. Rode quietly and had lots of traction. Rear tires were 80 when towing and front were 65.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
No matter what brand tires you decide to use for replacements, make sure they have a factory warranty. Many of the popular brands will not warranty LT tires when used on a vehicle that has Original Equipment Passenger tires (P), unless they are authorized by the vehicle manufacturer.
Good info. Thanks. I was looking at changing up the tires on the 1/2 ton Ram. Maybe better up upgrade the truck.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires