Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Djacobp

Acadia National Park

We are off to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine in a few weeks. I was just wondering how many people have been there and what all there is to do that is fun for the family. We are also looking to get some good seafood and was wondering if anybody knew some good places to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Djacobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
theeyres

It is one of my all time favorite places but there is not really a lot of family oriented activities--just gorgeous scenery. And hope your family loves hiking. There are many trails that are great...anywhere in the park. As for seafood--anywhere.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
FTWingRiders

What campground are you staying at? We're arriving this Sunday for a week with the boys. My wife and I were there a couple years ago, and really enjoyed it. No, there isn't a whole lot of touristy family stuff, but the hiking and bicycling are some of the best we've seen. Bar Harbor has some nice shops and restaurants.
I'll have to look up the town we found an hour south or so that was a nice rainy day ride.
Oh, we're staying at the Narrows Too Campground.
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
GaryWT

We have been two times, we like it but to us it is a been there done that. We may return at some point. We have stayed at Hadley's Point Campground which we liked. Walking around Bar Harbor is nice, once a cruise ship was there so that was cool. Thunder Rock and Cadilac Mountain are the popular must do things in the park. We have also enjoyed Mt Bubble Rock which was fun and cool for pictures. Also we stopped along the loop road and walked the rocks along the water which was fun until we had to walk the mile or so back to the car along the road, lol. One thing that we did which was cool is there is a section that is all carriage trails so we signed up to do the horse draw carriage ride which was fun. Both times we went we stayed about 4 days as part of a travel trip up the coast of Maine as it is about 5-6 hours from home. Plenty of good restaurants. Enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
Laredo291OH

We were just there 2 weeks ago. We don't eat out, kids have severe food allergies, so I can't help you there, but there are lobster pounds everywhere. We stayed at the Oceanside KOA, there is even a guy setup there permanent that sells lobster dinners. The carriage roads were mentioned, you can also ride bikes on those, some steep hills though, my son only has a 20" single speed bike so it was a little tough for him. There are several miniature golf places in the area, the pirate one is pretty cool. We did Cadillac mountain several times, during the day once, then went back for sunset and then again for sunrise. Family complained about getting up at 4am to see sunrise, but it's pretty cool to be the first in America to see the sunrise. You can take tours of the harbor, they will drop you off at the islands in the area which are fun to explore, you can also walk the sand bar from Bar Harbor to one of the islands, but make sure you get back before the tide comes in or you will be stuck on the island till the tide goes out. There is a boat tour called Diver Eds, we didn't do it, but the people camped next to us did with their 4 kids and said it was really good.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
cw3jason

Been there 3 times so far. Lots of hiking. Trails for the whole family. Also Bar harbor has a lot to do. Including whale watching. When looking for lobster, check out a place called Rats clams. Owned by a local clamp digger named rats. Best prices around and he has hardshell lobster. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
pjinthedaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djacobp View Post
We are off to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine in a few weeks. I was just wondering how many people have been there and what all there is to do that is fun for the family. We are also looking to get some good seafood and was wondering if anybody knew some good places to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thurston's Lobster Pound on the quiet side of the island. Fantastic food! We are going back to the Oceanside KOA for the third time this August. Acadia and Northern Maine has become an annual trip.
pjinthedaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Djacobp

We are staying at the Blackwoods Campground and yes we do enjoy hiking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
sander925

Depending on the age of your kids, you may look into the ranger led programs. I am sure they are still doing them. Check at the visitors center. When my kids were little we made it to Acadia. We did a ranger led program almost every day there.
sander925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #10
Djacobp

Thank you for all the recommendations on places to see and go to. We are close to the island. Glad the rain stopped and hope it stays away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
coop

We were there last year, stayed at a private camground near Bass harbor, small campground but friendly people. I don't remember the road name/number but on the way out of bass harbor towards Bar harbor there was a resurant called 'Top of the Hill'. Food was great, prices OK atmosphere great, everyone having a good time including the owner and staff.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote