Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
bmzero

Water Heater Not Staying Lit

I have a Suburban SW12DE in a 2006 Raptor 3612DS. I just purchased this trailer, so I'm going through all of the systems now. On propane, the main flame will light using the automatic ignitor, but as soon as the ignitor stops clicking (sparking), the flame goes out. This is consistent through three or four cycles of three iterations (each time you turn on the inside switch, the heater will attempt to light three separate times). My first thought was it was air in the lines, but after many cycles, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I have read on other threads where there should be some type of black coated wire that senses the flame. That may be for a different model, but I do not see a similar flame-sensing device on this model.

Attached is a diagram of my model.

For what it's worth, the electric element works fine.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 4.37.25 PM.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	5781  
bmzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
rschad

I just de winterized my trailer getting ready for the first holiday of the season and experienced the same thing. It would light but in a couple of seconds would shut off, the furnace worked fine. I turned. The switch probably 6 or 7 times and gave up, but then tried one more time and it works just fine now.
I am thinking perhaps some air in the line over winter but just a guess. I would say try a few more times.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
bmzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
I just de winterized my trailer getting ready for the first holiday of the season and experienced the same thing. It would light but in a couple of seconds would shut off, the furnace worked fine. I turned. The switch probably 6 or 7 times and gave up, but then tried one more time and it works just fine now.
I am thinking perhaps some air in the line over winter but just a guess. I would say try a few more times.
You sir, are very helpful.

When I first read your post I sort of chuckled. I have already tried it "one more time" twice now, but in an effort to re-exhaust all possibilities, I tried it one more time.

Seriously, it fired right up the very first time. I definitely would not have tried it again without your suggestion.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It saved me much headache.

-brit
Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
rschad

My pleasure to help. I am glad it worked, i don't really know what the problem was but if it works now great.
This is one thing I like about this forum,people sharing issues and experience can be helpful.

Enjoy your new trailer. I leave for holiday on Friday with a working hot water tank.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
bmzero

Quote:
My pleasure to help. I am glad it worked, i don't really know what the problem was but if it works now great.
This is one thing I like about this forum,people sharing issues and experience can be helpful.

Enjoy your new trailer. I leave for holiday on Friday with a working hot water tank.
Thanks. I hope it goes well for you.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
bmzero

Unfortunately, the one time it worked mentioned above is the only time it has worked for me. I have tried several times, but nothing.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not sure but on some appliances the igniter is also the flame sensor. A good cleaning can not hurt. For some reason spiders like the smell of gas and like to put nests in the craziest places. Made of silk, they will not burn out. Get a cheap flexible, long handled nylon bottle brush and run it through the burner tube cleaning any winter crude off of the igniter without changing it's position or that of the air/gas mixture. Then try it "One More Time". (I use a brush designed for cleaning lint from laundry dryers but more flexible ones are available.) Good luck and keep us posted, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
bmzero

We tried everything, but in the end, it was the control board. Swapped that out and it has worked ever since. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Not really sure how much difference it makes on the lines to the refrigerator and water heater, but I always light the stove burners first to purge air from the lines (go with what I can see). Ever since I started to do that, the refrigerator and hot water heaters seem to ignite better/quicker after changing the tanks or when de-winterizing.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
ksbowman

I have trouble with mine occasionally with the same symptoms. I have found that if I go thru all the wire connections wiggling the connecters it will start working. Evidently a little corrosion is forming and prevents a good connection.
ksbowman is offline   Reply With Quote