Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
gregbyst

Creative Security Upgrades

Hello,

Does anyone have any security upgrades they tried out that they would recommend? We are going to transition to full-time travel within a few months and want to make sure we are as safe as possible.

We have plans for locking x chocks, a tire boot, security camera's with motion sensors, floodlights, and alarms on them, plus a king pin lock.

I hate the situation with the basement door hatches, has anyone created a creative fix that provides more security than just switching the tubular locks out? I was thinking of something like an external lock for the doors...

Trailer: 2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Addition (Fifth Wheel)

Truck: 2002 Ford F-250 V10
gregbyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Greg, where are you planning on going, places you intend to stay? Some security is necessary but most places are pretty secure.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m with Danny, where are you going that you think you need to make your rig like Fort Knox?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
gregbyst

We plan on boondocking almost exclusively. We are still learning but so far we are going to try public lands we can stay on for free, boondockerswelcome.com, harvest hosts, iOverlander, and (that's all I can remember off the top).

We want to travel to all the states and a bit of Canada! We want to be able to leave the trailer behind while we explore the area for a few hours.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

^^^ Exactly my initial thoughts. Do you plan on camping on skid row or next to a Juvenile Detention Center? Not trying to be a jerk but it it does beg the question. I think the vast majority of theft is done while a camper is in storage. If you're fulltiming then that's not going to be an issue.

The problem with camping trailers are the thin, lightweight materials. You can have the best lock made but it's useless on a hatch or a door that can easily be pried open with minimal effort.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
gregbyst

I want to have enough security to feel safe leaving my travel trailer unattended while my girlfriend go out and explore the areas (hiking, restaurants, attractions, etc). I'm not planning on leaving it in seedy looking areas, but I do want to leave it at times and not necessary in a campground surrounded by people.

We want to travel as cheaply as possible, so staying on public lands and using other boondocking resources (maybe a Walmart from time to time for ex) will be the way we go. I want to make it secure for this kind of use.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Greg I have traveled for decades using an RV; from some of the most remote places you can imagine, to little parks in the middle of nowhere, to free city parks on the edge of town (or in town) to mid nice RV parks to lux parks. I have never had anyone try to break into my RV. On top of that, as I sit here tonite, I have my Blackstone, GMG smoker and CharBroil grill sitting out front...without a worry. Common sense safety measures - yes; going overboard with worry...don't do it. If you think about it, if it happens it will so you have to do the best you can (common sense wise) to prevent it and then deal with it if it happens. As far as "interior/family" security, that's covered another way. Take sensible, necessary precautions and go have fun.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
Roscommon48

you are going to far overboard. just keep what is on the trailer.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Thieves are lazy and they are opportunist. I think it's far more likely that it would happen in a storage lot where there are many targets in a small area that's typically not monitored to well and is located right by the highway. The avg thief isn't going to drive off road for miles on the chance he might find a target when the owner is much more likely to be armed and have a shovel.

Relax and don't worry about it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
travelin texans

We've rv'd for over 40 years, full-timed for 10 of those years all across the country, left grills, bicycles & tables/chairs sitting out over night with none sprouting legs & walking off.
I know it's hard to imagine a Texan not packing heat, but this one didn't/doesn't have one nor so much as a baseball bat, never had the need for either.
Locked up the rv, the truck, toolboxes & storage compartments with original equipment locks & went about our travels. Locks only keep honest people out, those that want in will find a way, then that's what insurance is for.
Go enjoy your travels! Don't sweat the small stuff!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
gearhead

Go have fun. Forget about it. Assume you have insurance. Being paranoid over it will drive you crazy.
Ask my wife.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Do some digging into crime reports. As mentioned, your worst place to be is in a storage yard. Trailers of any kind have a very low theft rate. The biggest worry might be that you have the same key that most other people have for your storage compartments. The door lock can be opened by a master but the deadbolt cannot. You can change compartment locks but you have to make sure you have extras someplace other than in the trailer because they will not be able to be opened with a master. A pin lock might be good too. Forget the boot.
The final security measure is a good insurance policy with a list of valuables stored someplace in the truck and filed with your insurance company that includes pictures and serial numbers.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #13
levic900rr

What are you gonna use for cameras? I run Arlo at home and Im thinking about getting one for the camper for longer trips.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

What ever you do to make the unit more "break into" theft proof. Will not help, a flat bladed screw driver forced though any door frame or cargo door will pry it open in seconds. If the dirt bag crook forgot his screw driver a good kick through the plastic foam filled door will destroy it and leave the locks in place.
Stealing the unit will take someone with the proper equipment to get it home. That can happen to a 5er, but not likely.
If it were me I would get a pin or hitch lock if I wanted to prevent theft. If you use cameras make sure you place them to get license plates in the photos. Showing a red ford pickup and not clearly a license plate will not help much at all. Seeing the faces of the suspects also helps. Just photographing the top of their head does not.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
Sarge2

As a relative newbie to travel trailers I am not a newbie to law enforcement. If this was your stationary home and you lived in a relatively medium to high crime area, I'd probably suggest some if not all of your thoughts on security.
As for your TT... I think you might be going a bit overboard... If you are boondocking, that means in areas that normally do not have an overabundance of items that most thieves are looking to steal... Nor will that type element drive outside of a well populated area looking to grab up your camping gear.
I think that as most have suggested, you just get out and enjoy your TT and not obsess over it. To the extent you are worrying you'll never enjoy yourself for wondering what might happen...JMHO... 30 years as a LEO...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #16
NH_Bulldog

We had a camp deep in the woods of Northeast Vermont. Over the years we built it up to quite a luxurious hunting camp just off an all season recreation road so there was year round access to anyone happening by. We took no special security precautions regardless of season. In all the years we owned the place the only thing that even remotely came close to walking away was a huge bin of accumulated empty beer cans and bottles. The thieves apparently realized it was too much work and dropped it 15’ from where we had left it. No one ever touched the generator, the propane tanks, the tv, the stereo, appliances, cookware, furniture, etc. when we left the place unattended for months at a time.

It is extremely unlikely that anyone will bother your rig while you are away for a few hours.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
roadglide

I have researched big cities and freaked out with the crime the only things I learned was to blend in and try not look a ignorant tourist . Nashville and New Orleans along with hundreds of tourist attractions all have high crime rates. One more thing don’t forget your black gun.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
LewisB

I agree with the others - not really an issue.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok fellas, just a gentle reminder...guns and gun threads aren’t looked upon favorably, Enough said.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I agree with the others - not really an issue.

I'd recommend a Tarus 605 357 mag and membership in the USCCA for yourself; but then, you live in California and plan to travel in Canada, so that's not going to work.
PM sent. It has a couple issues.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade