Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
BeagleMan

Soft Water Filter

Hey guys,

Have a soft water system hooked up now and I have it in a 5 gallon bucket for stability, but, even though they said it is fine with my heated hose hooked up to it and it should not freeze, what can be done to keep it warm? Thinking of putting something in the excess areas inside bucket around the unit, but it can't be just towels or a blanket. Came through this past cold snap very well, no problems. Just looking to the future. Thanks!

AC
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
bobbecky

I have our softener in the pass through right next to the convenience center and don’t have any issues with cold weather.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I have our softener in the pass through right next to the convenience center and don’t have any issues with cold weather.
Yes, that will come eventually. Just wanted some advice until I do. Thanks!

Obviously nothing here. I'll go elsewhere.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
falconetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Hey guys,

Have a soft water system hooked up now and I have it in a 5 gallon bucket for stability, but, even though they said it is fine with my heated hose hooked up to it and it should not freeze, what can be done to keep it warm? Thinking of putting something in the excess areas inside bucket around the unit, but it can't be just towels or a blanket. Came through this past cold snap very well, no problems. Just looking to the future. Thanks!

AC
I would just use a 110v heat wrap for pipes. Shielded from the cold air in the bucket that seems like a simple solution. you could also make a mold with expandable foam if you have the time and patience.
falconetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

AC what kind of temps are you trying to protect against? 30 is one thing, -15 is another.

If you have a heated hose that pretty much covers the water supply but the water softener would be something else. Where is it - outside the trailer, inside? I've used electrical heater tape for all kinds of things over the years and wrap whatever (softener?) with it and let it kick on and off.

When I was building guns years ago I used a product called Acraglass, sort of an epoxy resin to bed stocks. You used a release agent with it so you could put it on the barrel/receiver and place it in the epoxy to form it. When it had dried the barrel pulled right off and the mold was set. Reckon you could find something to go around the water softener so that you could fill the bucket with expanding foam? and then pull the softener out - sort of making a formed, insulated bucket?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
AC what kind of temps are you trying to protect against? 30 is one thing, -15 is another.

If you have a heated hose that pretty much covers the water supply but the water softener would be something else. Where is it - outside the trailer, inside? I've used electrical heater tape for all kinds of things over the years and wrap whatever (softener?) with it and let it kick on and off.

When I was building guns years ago I used a product called Acraglass, sort of an epoxy resin to bed stocks. You used a release agent with it so you could put it on the barrel/receiver and place it in the epoxy to form it. When it had dried the barrel pulled right off and the mold was set. Reckon you could find something to go around the water softener so that you could fill the bucket with expanding foam? and then pull the softener out - sort of making a formed, insulated bucket?
Well, this last cold snap put us in the lower to mid 20s. We were fine everywhere, but this one got me to thinking. It sits outside in a bucket just underneath the belly. Its in a bucket for stability only. But, I do have a little excess in and around the peripheral of the filter. Just wanted something to fill that with to keep it from freezing.

Yes, I have heard of Acraglass. But, I am sure I'd want to pull it out once finding the space I need for it on the inside of rig. Would some closed cell foam work? Cut to fit? I know I need to do something like that to the cutout where the hoses and cable goes into. That will be done this weekend. Just wondering now if I just need a bigger piece for the bucket. Would that work?

Thanks. You too falcon.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well, this last cold snap put us in the lower to mid 20s. We were fine everywhere, but this one got me to thinking. It sits outside in a bucket just underneath the belly. Its in a bucket for stability only. But, I do have a little excess in and around the peripheral of the filter. Just wanted something to fill that with to keep it from freezing.

Yes, I have heard of Acraglass. But, I am sure I'd want to pull it out once finding the space I need for it on the inside of rig. Would some closed cell foam work? Cut to fit? I know I need to do something like that to the cutout where the hoses and cable goes into. That will be done this weekend. Just wondering now if I just need a bigger piece for the bucket. Would that work?

Thanks. You too falcon.
If your water softener sits in a 5 gallon bucket, if you can run the hose through the hole in the lid (or cut the lid to facilitate the hose), why not just add a drop light with a 60 watt bulb? That would produce enough heat to keep your water softener from freezing down to 0F or maybe even lower. All that's left is to protect the hoses "outside the bucket"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If your water softener sits in a 5 gallon bucket, if you can run the hose through the hole in the lid (or cut the lid to facilitate the hose), why not just add a drop light with a 60 watt bulb? That would produce enough heat to keep your water softener from freezing down to 0F or maybe even lower. All that's left is to protect the hoses "outside the bucket"...
Hi John.

I guess I could but the filter is taller than the bucket so a lid would not fit, unless I can fashion one to cover it. It has my heated hose going into it and I have now wrapped my hose from the filter to the city connection. Ok, I do have a drop light I could use. I had forgotten I had that. I will certainly try that angle too. Thank you.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

If you could find a block of closed cell foam you could cut out to form around the softener/hoses. My thought with the Acraglas comparison was just brainstorming about putting something around the softener/hoses that would allow you to fill the bucket with sprayed in expandable foam then just pull the softener out without it sticking to it leaving a form for it to drop into.

With a heated hose coming into the bucket it would have a bit of residual heat that the foam could help retain. Without it the temp of the softener will eventually drop to the surrounding temp, whatever that may be. Don't know that I've seen a short heated hose but the heater tape I mentioned (maybe 3') on the short length into the convenience center might be enough to protect it down to mid 20s (extended).
Old 12-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

The obvious solution is to put it an a heated space such as the passthru. The alternative would be to look online or visit Tractor Supply, Southern States, etc. for an animal watering heater. They come in varying styles and prices but I've seen them as low as $25. They are very common for cold climate areas to keep pet or livestock watering buckets from freezing.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
BeagleMan

Quote:
If you could find a block of closed cell foam you could cut out to form around the softener/hoses. My thought with the Acraglas comparison was just brainstorming about putting something around the softener/hoses that would allow you to fill the bucket with sprayed in expandable foam then just pull the softener out without it sticking to it leaving a form for it to drop into.

With a heated hose coming into the bucket it would have a bit of residual heat that the foam could help retain. Without it the temp of the softener will eventually drop to the surrounding temp, whatever that may be. Don't know that I've seen a short heated hose but the heater tape I mentioned (maybe 3') on the short length into the convenience center might be enough to protect it down to mid 20s (extended).
I got you, bro. Its a great idea too Appreciated. Looking at a short heated hose now. I have time. Next cold spell is a ways off. 50s and 30s for a while. I may do the closed cell foam but I am going to look into flybuoys suggestion on Tractor Supply. Have a TS and a Rural King very close to me. I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks, guys
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The obvious solution is to put it an a heated space such as the passthru. The alternative would be to look online or visit Tractor Supply, Southern States, etc. for an animal watering heater. They come in varying styles and prices but I've seen them as low as $25. They are very common for cold climate areas to keep pet or livestock watering buckets from freezing.
Eventually, I will get it in the passthru. Just have to figure it out
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I got you, bro. Its a great idea too Appreciated. Looking at a short heated hose now. I have time. Next cold spell is a ways off. 50s and 30s for a while. I may do the closed cell foam but I am going to look into flybuoys suggestion on Tractor Supply. Have a TS and a Rural King very close to me. I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks, guys

Yep, Marshall had a good idea. I've never heard of them....but I don't have that kind of issue generally - the beauty of a forum like this.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #14
BeagleMan

Quote:
Yep, Marshall had a good idea. I've never heard of them....but I don't have that kind of issue generally - the beauty of a forum like this.
Absolutely. That's why I'm here.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #15
bobbecky

I posted this photo on the other forum you posted to. The small electric heater is just to the left in the photo, and the hoses have plenty of room without modifying anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water softener connection.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	31019  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
travelin texans

Coil any excess heated hose around the softener in the 5 gallon bucket & cover with a couple towels or blankets.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #17
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Coil any excess heated hose around the softener in the 5 gallon bucket & cover with a couple towels or blankets.
I was figuring that, but thought it might not be enough.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #18
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I posted this photo on the other forum you posted to. The small electric heater is just to the left in the photo, and the hoses have plenty of room without modifying anything.
The little silver thing?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
lewy64

I have the dual filters after the heated hose. I used a Styrofoam throw away cooler and set the filters in there along with some insulation and put the top back on. Cut holes on side to put the hoses through. Covered with a plastic garbage bag so no water gets in. Covered hose that went into rig with the black foam hose/pipe insulation. Put more insulation around hose where it goes in convenience center. Went through a number of freezes so far no problems, although havent had any hard freezes yet. I know your system isnt the same shape as a dual filter, but wanted to add my setup.
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #20
Whitewolf

Lots of great ideas here. Lewy64's idea for a styrofoam cooler makes a lot of sense to me. With that in mind you could take 2 of the styrofoam 6pk coolers and put them top to top (one upside down on top of the other). That could make it tall enough for your unit. If not, you could add a ring of foam between the coolers, maybe even from the lids.

The heat from the heated hose may be enough. If you don't think so, you could always add a 25w bulb making sure it doesn't touch anything.

Years ago we had an above ground well pump. It was in an insulated structure we called a 'Dog house'. About 2' square by maybe 30" high. We heated it with a 100w bulb and never had a problem.

Is the hose from the water softener to the Montana heated also?

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water