Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #21
Canonman

Greg, I think you need a pat on the back for having these types of concerns and still, are willing to get out and enjoy your 5er, see the country and basically Live Life.
We do a fair amount of boon-docking, BLM and less than improved camping. We've not encountered any problems.
My advice is if you can pick it up, lock it up. I lock up our generator or keep it in the truck. I lock the bicycles to the trailer frame. I make sure the doors are locked when we leave and we don't leave anything out except our old Bar-B-Que. They can have that nasty thing if they want it.
Thieves are lazy and operate only when the opportunity presents itself. I'm more concerned about night time security so I deploy a couple of solar powered motion lights. Anything moves around the door side or front of the Cougar and they get a 1,000 lumens of bright white scare light. These work well on raccoons and I assume other critters as well but the raccoons really scatter. So far no testing opportunities on knuckleheads
Lastly I'd say that the folks you'll run into are a lot like you. Campers, enjoying the outdoors and trying to get the most out of life.
Happy trails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	31004  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #22
gregbyst

I appreciate all the comments everyone.

Part of the reason I'm so concerned with the security is because we will be using resources like boondockerswelcome.com and staying in places that aren't necessarily removed from the typical thief's area... If we were only going to camping in the great outdoors I don't think I would be worrying so much. We do want to travel into different cities and I have no idea what those safety risks are, so better safe than sorry is my thinking.

We do have insurance and my girlfriend and I were just speaking about upgrading the policy since the TT is worth more with the solar set up and whatnot.

These are the camera's I was considering installing, I like that they have an floodlight and motion sensor! (Maybe 3 of them):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPLFMDH...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I did see a comment saying they require wifi for the floodlight to be functional so I think I may search for other options.

Do you think the security boot is excessive? My girlfriend is so worried about security that she wants to never unhitch the truck during travels and instead buy some kind of moped or motorcycle and attach it to the back of the trailer somehow -.-

Trailer: 2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Addition (Fifth Wheel)

Truck: 2002 Ford F-250 V10
gregbyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

If you're boondocking how are you going to power the 110v ac lights all night?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #24
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Have you given any thought to converting an old armored car?
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #25
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbyst View Post
My girlfriend is so worried about security that she wants to never unhitch the truck during travels and instead buy some kind of moped or motorcycle and attach it to the back of the trailer somehow -.-
Greg, this would worry me. Are you going to take the TT into town with you every time you need groceries, a laundry mat or a TV repair? Are you sure she is ready for full timing? If so, I’d consider starting your adventure using campgrounds she is comfortable with until she has more confidence in boondocking without the TV attached. Plenty of folks bring a motorcycle with them, no problem with that. And plenty of folks spend a night or two without unhitching, no problem there either, but it doesn’t seem very practical to think you’re never going to need to unhitch when camping full time. As preciously noted, get yourself a good trailer tongue lock. That’s the only security feature we’ve added - a king pin lock.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

Here are a couple links that address RV security...

https://camperreport.com/5-great-sec...-what-id-pick/

https://camping.lovetoknow.com/Crime_in_RV_Trailers
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #27
notanlines

Greg, I believe your original and subsequent posts have put up red flags to many members. I firmly believe the two of you should reconsider your RV'ing plans, at a bare minimum have a deep conversation concerning your safety fears. DW read this thread also and her first comment was "This is probably not for them."
I hope I'm wrong. This a great life, but if one has to constantly lock and unlock, set security devices, run out to answer the truck alarm.....see where I'm headed?
A little off topic: There is a special place in hell for people with their truck alarms in RV parks!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #28
Javi

Okay after reading (some not all) the posts I've got the perfect solution...

Get rid of the pickup and trailer, buy a large diesel pusher class A, 2 Glock 19's, a Mossberg, 590 Tactical shotgun, take self-defense lessons, move out of California and stay out of states that don't allow at least concealed carry, shop only at stores that deliver or through Amazon.

That'll take care of 99% of the concerns..
Old 12-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #29
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Uh oh! Here it comes!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #30
dutchmensport

The best protection you can have is good insurance .... and a really yappie annoying dog that hates strangers! Really! .... No one will bother you if you have a yappie dog.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Part of the reason I'm so concerned with the security is because we will be using resources like boondockerswelcome.com and staying in places that aren't necessarily removed from the typical thief's area... If we were only going to camping in the great outdoors I don't think I would be worrying so much. We do want to travel into different cities and I have no idea what those safety risks are, so better safe than sorry is my thinking.

We do have insurance and my girlfriend and I were just speaking about upgrading the policy since the TT is worth more with the solar set up and whatnot.

These are the camera's I was considering installing, I like that they have an floodlight and motion sensor! (Maybe 3 of them):

I did see a comment saying they require wifi for the floodlight to be functional so I think I may search for other options.

Do you think the security boot is excessive? My girlfriend is so worried about security that she wants to never unhitch the truck during travels and instead buy some kind of moped or motorcycle and attach it to the back of the trailer somehow -.-
To be totally honest with you from your comment that I have bolded above I think you may be headed down a disastrous path. If your wife is that uneasy then she will not enjoy the time you share with her. That can be very distressing to the best of relationships.

Others have given opinions on insurance and self defense weapons and referencing them as "prevention". Nothing could be further from preventing a crime than that. That is either dealing with a current threat (weapons) or dealing with the aftermath (insurance,or a camera recording).

Lights and cameras don't necessarily guarantee being crime free. Well lit spaces with many cameras like banks and liquor stores are held up and robbed every day. ATM's are stolen regularly from places with many locks, roll down gates, alarms, cameras, etc.

A weapon, in the hands of an untrained individual is a recipe for disaster. A slight hesitation in using any weapon against an adversary will result in you losing. A bad guy, feeling trapped and looking to escape will not hesitate nor have any empathy or concern for you as a human. Becoming competent at self defense requires a commitment to not only the initial training but also taking the time in keeping those skills fresh.

The best "preventative" actions are securing the best you reasonably can and more importantly it's situational awareness and some common sense. Look, observe, and trust the "something just doesn't feel right" instinct. I would think a serious discussion with the dear wife is in order. Make sure she's on board and not just "going along" to appease your desires.

These are simply my opinions and as always YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #32
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Food for thought. A truck is easier to steal than a trailer. Leaving them hooked up is like giving the thieves a bonus. And by the way, the OP is from California and probably thinks guns are something only evil people have as that is the state mantra. Maybe a group of rabid raccoons with some in the trailer and some out would make going out and enjoying yourselves a little easier. In a few days you could track the thieves at the hospital.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #33
Rickmuzick

Go have FUN!

You are going to spend all of your time trying to prevent what cannot be prevented and miss out on the purpose of the journey!

LOCKS and security measures DETER ONLY THE INNOCENT. A thief is going to get into your camper no matter what and with the OVER ABUNDANCE of folks doing exactly what you are doing (going full time) they are going to be LONG GONE by the time you realize you have been broken into and review the security footage.

There is NO prevention from *******S. I once parked at a campground with very few people and came back to discover that some dick had stolen my spare and replaced it with the China bomb that came off theirs. (kind of them)

If these things are a major concern, camp in the front yard and be safe.

As to the basement doors, there are many Amazon sellers that will provide you with "keyed alike" locks similar to a soft drink machine lock that you can use to replace those "keyed alike with 6 million others" factory locks. However the reality is... those doors are thin and flimsy and as previously stated... if someone wants in they are going to get in.
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #34
geo

I will say, from a post some months ago, that JRTJH is absolutely correct, I do check in some but don't contribute near enough.

Gregbyst - DW and I have full-timed for almost 8 years. I will also say, as a disclaimer, that its been many years since we had our Alpine, and that now we are on our third fifth wheel, a custom-built. With those notes, let me comment on your question. And BTW, I do agree with all the previous posts! Plus, we carry no weapons, but I do have bear spray (we spend a lot of time in bear country)!

We have a "monitoring system". It is an Abode system. From my research, the Abode is easily adapted to RV use. The main purpose of the Abode is not security, but I do have a door sensor, sensors on the storage doors (they came with the initial kit, so why not use them?), and a motion camera (came in the initial kit). So why have it? There is an excellent water leak sensor that also has a "rope" sensor extension! I installed it under the sink near the hot water tank. It has detected two water leaks so far - one from the sink faucet and one from a hot water tank connection. It has a interior "sensor". From my cell phone, I can quickly see what the inside temp of the RV is. It is also set to notify me if the temperature gets too hot or too cold in the RV. Gotta take care of the pups! There's an internal sensor in the utility basement area, so I can monitor the temperature there too, and alarm if too cold. I installed two First Alert Smoke/CO detectors, one in the living area and one in the storage about 5 feet from the furnaces, which are wirelessly connected to the Abode. For grins , I can take a picture with the camera and check to see what the dogs are doing (mostly sleeping) when we are away from the RV. Since we full-time, our RV is never in storage. But if it was, I could put the RV on monitored security via Abode for a limited time. The Abode is connected to the Internet via the Pepwave router and Verizon MiFi, but it also has cellular backup included via T-Mobile and AT&T. I have connected the Abode and the Pepwave to the 12VDC system of the RV, so it is not dependent upon shore power.

I will say, the Abode slim door sensor design seems like it was designed exactly for RV doors!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #35
Sokcap48

If these fears remain, don’t go. You will be worrying all the time and not enjoying yourselves.

Here is my experience I am 72 I have camped on my own and with others since I was 16. We have been in Fifth wheels, TT, tents, sleeping bags with No tent, stove cooler etc sitting on a log. I have never ( knock on wood ) lost I single item with the exception of a 6 pack cooler with a 6 pack inside-they wanted the beer. We have camped BLM even last year and yes even in CA. Yes there were others camps scattered around but no close neighbor to watch anything and nothing missing. I have lost more off my front porch than I ever have camping and we live in a nice area.
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #36
sonofcy

Quote:

So you want to leave the truck attached so they can drive the entire rig away?
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #37
DAMILLER_SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To be totally honest with you from your comment that I have bolded above I think you may be headed down a disastrous path. If your wife is that uneasy then she will not enjoy the time you share with her. That can be very distressing to the best of relationships.

Others have given opinions on insurance and self defense weapons and referencing them as "prevention". Nothing could be further from preventing a crime than that. That is either dealing with a current threat (weapons) or dealing with the aftermath (insurance,or a camera recording).

Lights and cameras don't necessarily guarantee being crime free. Well lit spaces with many cameras like banks and liquor stores are held up and robbed every day. ATM's are stolen regularly from places with many locks, roll down gates, alarms, cameras, etc.

A weapon, in the hands of an untrained individual is a recipe for disaster. A slight hesitation in using any weapon against an adversary will result in you losing. A bad guy, feeling trapped and looking to escape will not hesitate nor have any empathy or concern for you as a human. Becoming competent at self defense requires a commitment to not only the initial training but also taking the time in keeping those skills fresh.

The best "preventative" actions are securing the best you reasonably can and more importantly it's situational awareness and some common sense. Look, observe, and trust the "something just doesn't feel right" instinct. I would think a serious discussion with the dear wife is in order. Make sure she's on board and not just "going along" to appease your desires.

These are simply my opinions and as always YMMV.
perfect answer
30+ years LEO
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #38
Ddaddyo

Go to a Pet Store and find the largest Dog Dish they have. Set it by the door while you explore.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #39
DAMILLER_SR

I read every response in this thread today, and then came across this post from a friend of mine
https://www.facebook.com/10000020567...5552808461529/
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #40
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
I read every response in this thread today, and then came across this post from a friend of mine
https://www.facebook.com/10000020567...5552808461529/
Some (many) of us do not care to participate in Facebook. This link is not usable to us. Additionally, by looking at the link we have no idea if this is even on-topic. Suggest you either paraphrase or cut & paste the information, as appropriate.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade