Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
jeff_1967

Bullet 248RKS and F150

I am sure some of this, if not all has been hashed out more than some care to count. I've done some searching and just can't find a clear answer or I am just to challenged to find it (most likely the later).

We are on the verge of purchasing at new Bullet 248RKS. My truck is a 2008 F150 STX with the 4.6L and factory tow package.

According to the brochure the shipping weight is 4860 lbs. I have been told by a few people that my truck is sufficient to tow this trailer. We will be weekend warriors and will not be taking any long, extended trips for some time to come so we won't be loading it down with nearly everything from inside our house.

I will get a WDH and will take any advice on anything else I am going to need.

If someone has a similar set up please advise me as if this is just not a good idea regardless of manufacturers tow capacity ratings.

Sorry for the long, drawn out post but hopefully I can get peace of mind and take the plunge sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
Jeff
jeff_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What cab/box configuration and what axle ratio for the truck? 4x2 or 4x4?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Just as a matter of reference; your truck will be right at the max it can tow or over.

The allowable max towing weight for your truck depending on it's configuration is 6100 - 7200lbs. The weight of the trailer you specified is 4785 dry plus 1715 carrying capacity = 6500 GVW. Right between the max weight allowed for your truck.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
jeff_1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What cab/box configuration and what axle ratio for the truck? 4x2 or 4x4?
Sorry about that.

It is the supercab, 4x2, 3.55 rear end gears.
I was going to post all of this but got long winded and lost my train of thought.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
jeff_1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_1967 View Post
Sorry about that.

It is the supercab, 4x2, 3.55 rear end gears.
I was going to post all of this but got long winded and lost my train of thought.
And 5.5' bed if that makes a difference
Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
jeff_1967

Quote:
Just as a matter of reference; your truck will be right at the max it can tow or over.

The allowable max towing weight for your truck depending on it's configuration is 6100 - 7200lbs. The weight of the trailer you specified is 4785 dry plus 1715 carrying capacity = 6500 GVW. Right between the max weight allowed for your truck.
I may need to scale down a little bit. I don't like the thought of being that close to the limit.

Back to the search!

Thanks so much for the info sourdough!!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Looks like the max tow weight for your vehicle is 6500lbs. The max for your trailer is 6500lbs including 1715lbs for payload. If you packed light and traveled with empty tanks or maybe partial fresh water, you could probably keep the weight of the trailer to 5700 - 5900lbs.

GCVW (truck and trailer) rating for the truck is 11700lbs. If the trailer is say 6000lbs. your truck will probably weigh about 5100lbs. That would put your GCVW at about 11100lbs; 600 under your max.

Dry hitch weight is 545lbs. The wet (loaded) weight will probably be closer to 800 (or more). The payload (weight you can carry in/inside) of your truck is 1720lbs. If you take the 800lbs for the hitch from that number it leaves you 920lbs for your family, puppy, WDH (probably 100lbs) and whatever you put in the truck.

Bottom line is that with a little attention to what you're throwing in the truck it will be pretty easy to do. Just be careful when throwing "just anything" in "because"; it all adds up pretty quick.

I am not that familiar with the 4.6L V8 but I do know the specs. 248HP and 294lbft of torque. It should be adequate to pull the trailer but not a strong puller by any stretch (compared to the new big V8s and diesels). If you are going to be pulling in the mountains all the time you may be unhappy - then again some folks would be perfectly happy. It's all a matter of what you want, what you can do and what makes you happy. Above all, make your decision and then go have lots of fun!

**Note - the numbers are "paper numbers" meaning they are posted by the manufacturers and are somewhat generic. They are good for getting close but actual numbers for your configuration would have to come at a scale - which is usually hard to do with a trailer you don't own...so you use the numbers and give yourself some room for safety.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
jeff_1967

Quote:
Looks like the max tow weight for your vehicle is 6500lbs. The max for your trailer is 6500lbs including 1715lbs for payload. If you packed light and traveled with empty tanks or maybe partial fresh water, you could probably keep the weight of the trailer to 5700 - 5900lbs.

GCVW (truck and trailer) rating for the truck is 11700lbs. If the trailer is say 6000lbs. your truck will probably weigh about 5100lbs. That would put your GCVW at about 11100lbs; 600 under your max.

Dry hitch weight is 545lbs. The wet (loaded) weight will probably be closer to 800 (or more). The payload (weight you can carry in/inside) of your truck is 1720lbs. If you take the 800lbs for the hitch from that number it leaves you 920lbs for your family, puppy, WDH (probably 100lbs) and whatever you put in the truck.

Bottom line is that with a little attention to what you're throwing in the truck it will be pretty easy to do. Just be careful when throwing "just anything" in "because"; it all adds up pretty quick.

I am not that familiar with the 4.6L V8 but I do know the specs. 248HP and 294lbft of torque. It should be adequate to pull the trailer but not a strong puller by any stretch (compared to the new big V8s and diesels). If you are going to be pulling in the mountains all the time you may be unhappy - then again some folks would be perfectly happy. It's all a matter of what you want, what you can do and what makes you happy. Above all, make your decision and then go have lots of fun!

**Note - the numbers are "paper numbers" meaning they are posted by the manufacturers and are somewhat generic. They are good for getting close but actual numbers for your configuration would have to come at a scale - which is usually hard to do with a trailer you don't own...so you use the numbers and give yourself some room for safety.
Great info! Thank you so much sourdough.

I knew finding this forum was where I needed to be.

I may be posting pics of a new travel trailer soon
Old 02-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
JimQ

Jeff: I have a 2015 Bullet 248RKS. Last year I had the 2014 model ,and I had no problem towing it with my 2011 F -150 LXT. I have the 5.0 V8, 3.55 rear end, and the 7,800 tow package. It tows very nicely. I have the Equalizer 4 point hitch,( highly recommended) and a Prodigy brake controller. I am upgrading my 20" tires this spring to the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires for piece of mind. The ones on my truck are passenger rated and are getting down in thread depth. I usually travel 100 miles or so to different campgrounds, doing 60 mph, nice and easy. We really love the layout and enjoyed the trailer a lot. I would say go for it and enjoy. When I decide to go on an extended camping adventure cross country or down to your sunny location, I would tow with a f-250, but for now, it's fine. If you have any other questions, just asked!! Good luck, you are going to love It.!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
buzzcop63

Sourdough:
I think it is time you get a pat on the back; it takes a lot of time to compile the data and put it in a readable reply. You also really explained the towing situation so that the writer asking the question can read it with out feeling like he is being preached to but rather a close friend that cares about him is giving him his best advice. Other members of this Forum who read the comments sent in but have not put their hand to writing one themselves, it takes a lot of work. The one thing anyone who is trying to pass on information on this Forum needs to keep in mind, people writing in need to feel that they can ask anything they wish about trailers and not receive a putdown because they lack knowledge, at one time we all had more questions then answers.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
GaryWT

My friend has that Bullet and loves it, tows with a Ram 1500. I had a 150 with the 4.6 but the tow limit was only 5,700 so I upgraded as I could not find a trailer I liked.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

buzzcop63 - Thanks for the kind words. When folks get really excited about buying a camper and are looking forward to wonderful times with their family I get worked up too. For newcomers to RVing there are a lot of things related to towing and lots of other stuff that they just don't know. When the only source of info they have is the salesman at the dealership there is a possibility of a huge letdown for them. That's why I really like this forum; so many folks with so much experience willing to share it. It's not a first time buyers fault that they want the biggest, prettiest and best thing they can find. Without other folks input many times they don't have any idea what they need to do or what to look out for. If spending a bit of my time helps someone avoid a bad situation - that's all I hope for.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
jeff_1967

Buzz cop:
You hit the nail on the head. I sponsor many forums in my line of work and newbies get very discouraged when they are belittled for asking questions. Sourdough made me feel welcome and gave me the info I needed and I can buy with confidence now.

He confirmed I made the right decision joining here.

Thanks to each one of you for the input and info and I hope I can help someone down the road. I hope everyone I encounter in the rv life is like each of you!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
jeff_1967

Just a quick update. We haven't pulled the trigger yet because there are two shows this weekend. We want to see the Premier 19FB as well. It has a dry weight of 4180 lbs which makes me a little more at ease. Yes my wife says I worry too much but that's me and I don't see me changing lol.

I've read very good reviews here so once we do the walk through it will be time to beat up on the salesman a little.

I hate to beat the dead horse but I just can't say it enough how welcoming, informative and just overall nice people I have seen here in a the fast few days.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
Tbos

Let us know what you decide. Looks like you have plenty of info here to make a good and safe decision.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
jeff_1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Let us know what you decide. Looks like you have plenty of info here to make a good and safe decision.

Yes Tbos, the wealth of information is priceless here and I am so appreciative.

I did start a thread but I will update here as well (I should have done this already, sorry). We pick up our new Bullet Premier 22RBPR tomorrow. We are super excited and hope to be posting pictures soon.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

It'll be a long night but tomorrow will get here Kind of like Christmas! Congratulations and have a great time picking it up. I think it's been posted but don't forget to do a thorough PDI.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #18
michael_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_1967 View Post
Yes Tbos, the wealth of information is priceless here and I am so appreciative.

I did start a thread but I will update here as well (I should have done this already, sorry). We pick up our new Bullet Premier 22RBPR tomorrow. We are super excited and hope to be posting pictures soon.

Jeff you more than likely made the best choice. I have the 19 Premier and I do love my camper, but I waned to upgrade to one with a couch and dinette. I set my sites on the 26 Premier but like other's, because of this forum I learned my F150 can't handle the tongue weight (at 835 pounds I'm good, it's after propane (#40), battery(#50) and WDH (#100) I'm only left with maybe100 and a few pounds of stuff weight) horizontal I'm good, but vertical I'm too chicken to tow above the numbers knowingly

anyway, your trailer is really nice and you will surely enjoy it . . . also we little guys sometimes can get the last spots in the campground cause the big boys rigs can't fit Bahahahaha
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
jeff_1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
Jeff you more than likely made the best choice. I have the 19 Premier and I do love my camper, but I waned to upgrade to one with a couch and dinette. I set my sites on the 26 Premier but like other's, because of this forum I learned my F150 can't handle the tongue weight (at 835 pounds I'm good, it's after propane (#40), battery(#50) and WDH (#100) I'm only left with maybe100 and a few pounds of stuff weight) horizontal I'm good, but vertical I'm too chicken to tow above the numbers knowingly

anyway, your trailer is really nice and you will surely enjoy it . . . also we little guys sometimes can get the last spots in the campground cause the big boys rigs can't fit Bahahahaha

Thanks Michael!! I have only pulled it from CW to home (about 40 miles on I-95) and from home to the storage place (about 3 miles lol) and I am very pleased. Of course we didn't have it loaded but since we both still work full time our trips will mainly consist of short weekend trips so no need to load it down with very much.

Since we are in Florida, and most likely not leaving the state with the TT, the flat terrain puts me even more at ease. I am going to get the edge tuner because I have upgraded wheel/tire size so my speedo is off. This will re calibrate plus give me the tranny temps.

I will try and post pics this weekend of our maiden voyage which is very close to home but our city has an ordinance about TTs in your driveway and definitely no "camping" while in the driveway.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #20
Tonkatoy77

You went with the right choice keeping your weight down. My previous pickup was a 2001 1500 Chevy with 35" tires on it. My current trailer weighs about 6000 lbs empty. We have a lot of hills to climb in Oregon, but the most popular one is Cabbage Hill in Eastern Oregon. The first time I went over there with my half ton was also the last! Lol when I got to the top of the 7 mile hill I was doing 24 mph! I had loaded semi's passing me like I was standing still. Shortly after I got back I sold that truck and bought a Duramax. Now I have to slow down for the corners.

This is just a joke but there is an old saying: "Towing with a half ton is like sleeping with your cousin, it'll get the job done, but the long term effects really screw things up."
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote