Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
BradLV

Battery box

Anybody have recommendations for battery boxes that can fit on the Cougar travel trailer frame and under the curved alcove behind the propane tanks?

I am currently using a single 12v and am open to a 2 battery box.

Thanks!
BradLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLV View Post
Anybody have recommendations for battery boxes that can fit on the Cougar travel trailer frame and under the curved alcove behind the propane tanks?

I am currently using a single 12v and am open to a 2 battery box.

Thanks!
I've got a 2018 22RBS and I put two six volt batteries on it. There's just enough room for my two bigger boxes.

Sorry the picture is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190416_161540.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	23125  
Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Sarge2

I'm curious as to why so many people put two 6 volts in series =12volts rather than two 12volt batteries in parrell... what am I missing here?
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I'm curious as to why so many people put two 6 volts in series =12volts rather than two 12volt batteries in parrell... what am I missing here?
That party's already underway across the hall...
Old 08-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Sarge2

Thank you LHaven.... that surely does answer my question... appreciate it..
Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLV View Post
I just got the "standard" box at NAPA, it fit just fine. You have to tilt the battery some to get it in and out of the box without hitting the trailer overhang, but the box doesn't change that.

I wish I could find a box with a slightly taller cap. I had my eye on a set of those battery telltale/refiller caps, but they require precisely all the remaining height in the standard box, and I had to add an 1/8" plywood filler on the bottom of mine to keep the heads of the hex mounting screws from piercing the battery bottom.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
Bamabox

Yes, two 6V’s in the taller battery boxes just fit on the tongue rack. Little room to spare, enough to take tops off and check fluid levels in batteries. As to why 2 6V golf cart batteries vs 2 12V multi purpose marine deep cycle batteries, it’s all about the usable ampere hours. Golf cart batteries are purpose built (without going into the physics of it) and as it turns out, the exact same purpose you need for energy on your trailer. Multi purpose batteries, even deep cycle have to have the capacity for a large surge for cranking a motor. I was originally going to stay 12V when I decided to upgrade from the original battery, but after lots of research especially on this forum, I was convinced to go 2 6V golf cart batteries from Costco. Awesome setup and inexpensive.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery