Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
New member family in Las Vegas

Hello Keystone family! We would like to introduce ourselves from Las Vegas! We are the Sullivan Family! Brand new Travel Trailer family and just made our first purchase 2 weeks ago! 2021 Springdale 298BHWE. We posted a couple pictures but more will soon follow when we actually get the trailer in our possession. Made the decision to add a second A/C unit prior to taking it off the lot so we are still waiting on that completion!

First trip is already slotted and booked for July 5th. We will be heading to Flagstaff, Arizona to Woody Mountain Campground.

We will be pulling the trailer with a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn. Has the Hemi 5.7 and 3.92 gears with the two package and factory rear sway bar. Ordered rear Air Lift 1000 Heavy Duty Coil Spring Kit so hoping we will be able to sit nice and level with that and the Weight Distribution Hitch.

HERE WE GO!
__________________

Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Chris P
Senior Member
 
Chris P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Woodbridge New Jersey
Posts: 647
Welcome Sullivan's and congratulations from New Jersey, There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.
__________________

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Gary R.
Senior Member
 
Gary R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oregon-The Dry Side
Posts: 302
Hello folks, and welcome to the forum.

And, congratulations on your new Springdale!

Travel safe.
__________________
Gary & Deb
RV: Keystone 2013 Alpine 3495FL
TV: 2014 RAM 3500 Long Box, 6.4 HEMI, 4x4, 4.10's, with Mopar Puck system and B&W Companion hitch.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 9,244
Welcome to the forum Campy and congrats on the new rig! Lots of great folks here with tons of knowledge and willing to share.

Man, I know you are excited and I hate to be a wet blanket but do so for your safety. That trailer is approx. 9500 lbs. gvw. That is more than your 1500 wants. I towed a trailer very similar to that with a Ram 1500 (2) and the 1/2 ton just doesn't have the cojones for it. It will get you there but not comfortably or safely.

You do have a large carrying capacity in the trailer;

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

This might be your saving grace. If loaded to gvw you won't like pulling it (mine had 2000 carrying capacity, 8000 dry and weighed 9200 loaded). I had to constantly leave things behind, weigh stuff before I put it in etc. I could not stand it.

If you choose to use that truck/trailer combo I would suggest; 1) air bags which you said you have installed (let the pressure down unloaded), 2) immediately get rid of the OEM trailer tires and upgrade to good LRE trailer tires, 3) pull the OEM P rated tires off your truck and put on a good set of LT tires and finally 4) make SURE you get a GOOD 4 point wdh with built in sway. All of those things help both the truck and trailer become more stable and comfortable to pull (btdt - all of it).

How many of you are there? Ages? What do you like to do and toys you intend to take? Anything/everything depletes whatever payload you have as well as moves you toward your max gvw and gawr. Look at the placards (stickers) inside the driver door for payload/axle capacity.

Again, not trying to rain on your parade but want you to be aware of potential hazards. Hopefully you don't need that 28xxlbs. of gear and can install the necessary upgrades to make it all doable and within all the weight specs. Good luck and happy camping.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 52 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
Yes! Hoping to tap into that knowledge! Already have some questions and i havent even hooked up and taken off yet! So, Campy (that is what our two children have named our trailer lol) is a 50amp connection. Our first site we are headed to is a 30amp connection. Besides the reduction in power, anything else i should be aware of or worry about?
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
You arent raining on us at all and i appreciate the concerns! my research and number crunching has our trailer uvw at 6,620 and max at 9,480. The payload for my Ram Classic with the 3.92 gears before the air bags and wdh and sway bar is 1820. With the 4 of us in my truck and a large guess of 350 cargo weight that puts my total pay at 800. The hitch weight of Campy, maxed out at 9,480lb, is 680. So 680 + 800 = 1480. Take that away from my allowable 1,820 that my Ram can handle from the hitch and im left with right around 400lb to spare. Ill be pulling empty tanks for sure. We actually just weighed our cargo we are adding to the trailer and we aren't even at 1,000 yet. All we have left to add is food. So im guessing we will land around 8,200lb which leaves me still with over 2,000lb of tow capacity that the Ram can handle.
I know i am for sure a first timer here but i had those same concerns from day 1. Having the Big Horn geared higher and adding the rear sway bar and air bags has helped ease my mind. The dealership is installing and setting my weight distribution hitch so that helps. More importantly though I am a numbers guy. I have been able to really dive into and dork out on numbers to assure myself that my truck wont blow up.
Experience is definitely the most important math of all so i honestly appreciate the concerns and I will no doubt be updating this thread after the trip!
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
tech740
Senior Member
 
tech740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hemlock
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
You arent raining on us at all and i appreciate the concerns! my research and number crunching has our trailer uvw at 6,620 and max at 9,480. The payload for my Ram Classic with the 3.92 gears before the air bags and wdh and sway bar is 1820. With the 4 of us in my truck and a large guess of 350 cargo weight that puts my total pay at 800. The hitch weight of Campy, maxed out at 9,480lb, is 680. So 680 + 800 = 1480. Take that away from my allowable 1,820 that my Ram can handle from the hitch and im left with right around 400lb to spare. Ill be pulling empty tanks for sure. We actually just weighed our cargo we are adding to the trailer and we aren't even at 1,000 yet. All we have left to add is food. So im guessing we will land around 8,200lb which leaves me still with over 2,000lb of tow capacity that the Ram can handle.
I know i am for sure a first timer here but i had those same concerns from day 1. Having the Big Horn geared higher and adding the rear sway bar and air bags has helped ease my mind. The dealership is installing and setting my weight distribution hitch so that helps. More importantly though I am a numbers guy. I have been able to really dive into and dork out on numbers to assure myself that my truck wont blow up.
Experience is definitely the most important math of all so i honestly appreciate the concerns and I will no doubt be updating this thread after the trip!
One thing that you have off a little is tongue weight is usaully 10-15% on a TT. If you are loaded to 8,200 thats 820-1230 tongue weight. You will eat up your payload faster than you are anticipating. Remember the hitch adds cargo weight to the truck also. Happy camping glad to see you are actually looking at these numbers.
__________________
R.J. and Ginger

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Gegrad
Senior Member
 
Gegrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monroeville
Posts: 1,000
Your 1820 payload is from the yellow door sticker on your truck? I have never heard of a 1/2 ton Ram having that much payload. Color me impressed! Glad to see you have considered the numbers.

Oh, and happy camping from Pennsylvania!
__________________
2014 Bullet Premier 29bh in Charocal
2019 Ram 2500 HD 4x4, CC, 6.4L
2011 Passport 2510RB (Sold)
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
One thing that you have off a little is tongue weight is usaully 10-15% on a TT. If you are loaded to 8,200 thats 820-1230 tongue weight. You will eat up your payload faster than you are anticipating. Remember the hitch adds cargo weight to the truck also. Happy camping glad to see you are actually looking at these numbers.
Thanks for the response Brotha! I do appreciate it! Im picking her up Friday afternoon. Going to take her straight to a weigh station and grab my print out for each individual axle and total weight to see where i am at dry and empty then load up and re weigh before we head out on Sunday morning to see the difference in the two. Even with the tongue weight of lets say 850 and then my family and truck cargo at 800 that is still under. I know its not drastically under by any means but under keeps me legal on the road so that is a concern of mine.
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Your 1820 payload is from the yellow door sticker on your truck? I have never heard of a 1/2 ton Ram having that much payload. Color me impressed! Glad to see you have considered the numbers.

Oh, and happy camping from Pennsylvania!
Thats actually from my VIN printout straight from Dodge so thats why i was eased a bit. When the wife and I started this decision of getting into the travel trailer life i went straight there to my good friend who is a service manager. He punched up my VIN specific info and we rattled off numbers off what we could handle safely. He said 30' would be my high comfort pull and weight but we ended up liking the 28' so there we go. haha
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
tech740
Senior Member
 
tech740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hemlock
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
Thats actually from my VIN printout straight from Dodge so thats why i was eased a bit. When the wife and I started this decision of getting into the travel trailer life i went straight there to my good friend who is a service manager. He punched up my VIN specific info and we rattled off numbers off what we could handle safely. He said 30' would be my high comfort pull and weight but we ended up liking the 28' so there we go. haha
Just out of curiosity would you be willing to compare that number from your vin to the yellow sticker on the drivers door jam for us? I have always wondered if the match.
__________________
R.J. and Ginger

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Just out of curiosity would you be willing to compare that number from your vin to the yellow sticker on the drivers door jam for us? I have always wondered if the match.
It is a little off....My sticker states front axle gawr 3600 and rear gawr 3900 for with total trailer weight of 10,700....when i pull my vin specific model from Dodge it is actually front gawr 3700 and rear gawr 4100 with total trailer weight pull of 11540 which is more than i thought....ill add the picture of the print out on my profile for whoever to check out.
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Gegrad
Senior Member
 
Gegrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monroeville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
It is a little off....My sticker states front axle gawr 3600 and rear gawr 3900 for with total trailer weight of 10,700....when i pull my vin specific model from Dodge it is actually front gawr 3700 and rear gawr 4100 with total trailer weight pull of 11540 which is more than i thought....ill add the picture of the print out on my profile for whoever to check out.
Yeah, i think the previous poster wanted to see if that matched the tire and wheel sticker on your door pillar. The yellow one that says "maximum combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed XXX lbs" Then it has the tire pressure info it. They wanted to see if that matched your printout.
__________________
2014 Bullet Premier 29bh in Charocal
2019 Ram 2500 HD 4x4, CC, 6.4L
2011 Passport 2510RB (Sold)
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Yeah, i think the previous poster wanted to see if that matched the tire and wheel sticker on your door pillar. The yellow one that says "maximum combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed XXX lbs" Then it has the tire pressure info it. They wanted to see if that matched your printout.
Yup! my apologies! my sticker says not to exceed 1667 lb so still off quite a bit. Its actually weird looking up the classic. Especially when trying to find and buy aftermarket parts. Alot of catalogues dont even recognize the classic. I think technically it isn't a Generation 5 but the factory Towing Chart doesn't recognize anything other than 5th generation Rams. ?????? Its a ghost!!!
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
Bill-2020
Senior Member
 
Bill-2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central FL
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
Yes! Hoping to tap into that knowledge! Already have some questions and i havent even hooked up and taken off yet! So, Campy (that is what our two children have named our trailer lol) is a 50amp connection. Our first site we are headed to is a 30amp connection. Besides the reduction in power, anything else i should be aware of or worry about?
Yes. You're going to be 20AMPs low on available power. You'll only be able to use one A/C at a time, not both. A 50amp system splits the two 120V legs off to two different sections (sort to speak) to enable you to power each of the A/Cs on separate 120V legs. The 30amp power only has one leg, not two. Some of the 120 systems won't have power I believe. If both do have power, you're still under powered for two A/Cs.

Talk to your dealer when you do your PDI. Pick their brain as much as possible and write it down for future reference. (Oh, you'll need a 30amp to 50amp adapter/dog bone)
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
Campy Sullivan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Yes. You're going to be 20AMPs low on available power. You'll only be able to use one A/C at a time, not both. A 50amp system splits the two 120V legs off to two different sections (sort to speak) to enable you to power each of the A/Cs on separate 120V legs. The 30amp power only has one leg, not two. Some of the 120 systems won't have power I believe. If both do have power, you're still under powered for two A/Cs.

Talk to your dealer when you do your PDI. Pick their brain as much as possible and write it down for future reference. (Oh, you'll need a 30amp to 50amp adapter/dog bone)
Thank you!! Very good to know there. I have a nice cache of adaptors going right now. Haven't picked up the 50 amp surge protector yet....looks like i'll need to hit the lottery to afford that one!! haha
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #17
Gegrad
Senior Member
 
Gegrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monroeville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
Yup! my apologies! my sticker says not to exceed 1667 lb so still off quite a bit. Its actually weird looking up the classic. Especially when trying to find and buy aftermarket parts. Alot of catalogues dont even recognize the classic. I think technically it isn't a Generation 5 but the factory Towing Chart doesn't recognize anything other than 5th generation Rams. ?????? Its a ghost!!!
I suspect it is because the yellow sticker is specific to your truck, that print out you got is for a generic 2WD 1500 crew cab. You likely have other options on there that bring your payload down a bit. That is still a good number for a 1/2 ton RAM, but I suspect if you love the camping life you will be moving on from the 1/2 ton soon with that very heavy Springdale. Hey, on the bright side it is not an ultra light, so you won't be in here complaining about the soft luan floors like many of us do.
__________________
2014 Bullet Premier 29bh in Charocal
2019 Ram 2500 HD 4x4, CC, 6.4L
2011 Passport 2510RB (Sold)
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 9,244
Campy it is nice for you to be looking at the numbers and trying to get it right.

The only numbers that matter to you are the ones inside the driver door...they are "specific" to your truck and your truck only. I have a few "service manager" friends as well but none, no one, can get into a conversation about RV weights...they just don't know. They do know what their respective manufacturer hype says.

"Classic", "max tow", heavy duty package, etc. etc. etc. mean absolutely nothing. Whatever that sticker says is what all those "things" have done for you as far as towing capability; there is nothing more to add to it.

Short of a fully loaded, cat scaled weight of the trailer the only way to safely estimate what you have is to go with gvw. At 9480 your estimated tongue weight at 13% (which mine have ran over time) would be 1232 lbs. With an actual payload, for that truck, by the sticker (the definitive number - nothing else) of 1667 you are not in a good place. With 2 children and the things they will want to take on a trip vs a couple, you are going to be hard pressed not to be "between a rock and a hard place".

Remember, whatever they call a truck "classic", hd, mega xxx etc., the only thing that defines the towing/carrying capability is the sticker inside the door. Factory brochures, anecdotal thoughts from those that "know" etc. are meaningless. Look at the numbers that are being presented; they aren't as rosy as you think and will need careful scrutiny along with diligence to keep you from endangering you and your family....did I say btdt?
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 52 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #19
Bill-2020
Senior Member
 
Bill-2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central FL
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
Thank you!! Very good to know there. I have a nice cache of adaptors going right now. Haven't picked up the 50 amp surge protector yet....looks like i'll need to hit the lottery to afford that one!! haha
Better start playing then, like tonight. You NEED an EMS, either hardwired or an external unit that your 50amp cord plugs into. You want one that will monitor the voltages. Under voltage and over voltages can cause damage to components in your camper (like that new second A/C you just paid for). $300+ for a good EMS (electrical management system) is an insurance policy you can't skip. It's saved my butt before.

Here's an example of one.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...s%2C175&sr=8-1

There are several on the market to select from. If you buy one for about $100 or more, you're only getting the "surge" protection type, not the voltage fluctuation protection you need. Think summer time, everyone in the park is running their A/C and microwaves and mini fridges, and fans, and they have the fridges on 120v instead of LPG, and everything is fine until the voltages begin to drop in the campground/RV park and it dips into the danger zone and your A/C burns itself up. That $300+ EMS just saved you a thousand at the dealer.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but get one soon, ok. But have fun in the new camper! We'll be out in ours this coming weekend as well.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #20
Bill-2020
Senior Member
 
Bill-2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central FL
Posts: 205
And read this posting too, from tonight. It mentions things I forgot to mention (like miswires and such).

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=42969
__________________

Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, new member

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×