Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Scott in Michigan

Quieting an RV air conditioner

Does anyone have experience with the RV air conditioner quieting device marketed by Wacko products?

It's $189 on their website. Details seem sparse as to how it functions.

Scott

Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:52 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Scott, The WackO product is designed to replaced the lower panel on ducted Dometic system. Essentially the Dometic system has what is called a "quick cool" mode where you can open louvers on the main unit and cool air comes out and reduces the amount of air coming out of the duct opening elsewhere in the cabin. When you shut the louvers full air comes out the ducted openings. The "quick cool" mode is noisy becuase all the air is coming out of the A/C right at that panel. The WackO product eliminates the ability to use the quick cool mode by eliminating the louvers completely and just allows for air to be drawn in. They stick a piece of material inside and claim it deadens sound. Not sure how that would work but the Wacko product is likely about as quiet as the original Dometic cover with the louvers shut. You could always try this on your own without buying this gizmo by putting a piece of cardboard on the inside of your lower Dometic unit to cover the louvers tha open... tape it there and see if there is a difference in sound level; I am guessing not.

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Northofu1

I like to open the quick dump when first turning system on, it dries/cools the air in the same vicinity that it draws from, once cool I close the quick dump louvers. In my mind it lessens the chance of condensate forming potential in the duct work.
If the unit was non-ducted, it wouldn't matter.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:34 AM   #4
Getn off

I actually did install this in my living room main unit. It does make it quieter, but not silent. We had to turn the tv up loud at night to hear when the ac kicked on. When it kicked off, it was way too loud. Played the remote volume game all night.
This makes it just enough quieter that you can hear the tv without the volume needing to be adjusted.
For us it worked great and worth the $.
Troy
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The Wacko A/C system works on the principle of "bending the return airflow pathway" to quieten the "air rush noise". Essentially, it closes off the "air dump feature" so the device can be mounted under the ceiling unit. Air is drawn in from the rear, bends upward to enter the A/C plenum and then is cooled "by the original A/C system.

It's the "bending/re-routing" of the incoming air that's "muffled" by the Wacko addition.

Yes, it works, moderately well, if your A/C "noise" is the sound of air rushing into the return air vent. It won't quieten the vibrations above the roof that are typical of "steel stamped rafters". They still will be heard as the compressor kicks in and the fan blades vibrate....

For me, it works fairly well, but nearly $200 for a "box that screws under the air conditioner" ??? I'd think twice about whether the noise is "really that intrusive".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Customer1

The largest amount of noise comes from the cold air dump. Closing the louvers on the dump does not quiet the system.

I removed the cover and used foil duct tape to block all air flow from the dump. Blocking the dump was a huge improvement. I repeat; a huge improvement.

Now we can actually hear the fan, the return air flow, and the compressor. My next project is to devise a new cover which incorporates a better air filter and moves the intake/return so it isn't a direct path.

Tags
air conditioner