Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #21
RGene7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Reese WD with Dual Cam Sway Control
Equalizer
Blue Ox SwayPro

Three good choices. No clear winner.

I am not a fan of the friction bar sway controllers. They're finicky to adjust properly so they'll actually work, and they need to be set and adjusted every time you hook up. There is also a lot of debate on whether or not they are even effective on trailers longer than 21' or so. No clear answer on that, BTW. And they should be loosened before backing up which is another "thing to remember" every time you maneuver the rig.

I like the Reese DC best because of the strong detent action that uses the tongue weight to stop sway before it starts. Once it is installed and adjusted, there's no further adjusting needed. Just take the same number of links each time that you hook up and off you go.

The Equalizer and Blue Ox rate about equally in my view. The sway control is more based on friction or spring action and they are both "set and forget" as long as you hook up the same way each time.

I still have a complete Reese WD system less the DC part. If we ever move from a fiver back to a standard TT, I'd just pickup the DC kit and heavier trunnion bars.
Totally disagree.
Standard sway control bars are very effective for up to 30 feet trailers. Once I had to use one bar only, it was enough to prevent major sway but I could feel minor oscillations of the trailer. 2 bars make the combination solid and steady filtering almost 100% of sway forces.
My TT is relatively big, but light, and I definitely don't want to depend on light hitch weight to provide anti sway traction.
Second, they prevent sway by providing consistent resistance, not REACT to sway which already started.
Backing off ifs a problem but I can live with it 4-6 times a year.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
SVichera

I tow a passport 3220bh with a lincoln navigator and use the reese strait line dual cam with 800lbs bars. I found the setup is a lot more stable when i travel with the fresh water tank full, which tends to lead me to believe this hitch is very dependent on hitch weight, since the passport has a light hitch weight of only 600lb for such a long trailer. With the water tank full, it tows like a dream and the hitch works wonderfully.
SVichera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #23
alexramsey

Like most things there is no "best". I liked the E-qual-i-zer because it is ridiculously easy to use and very effective. All the hitches seem to do some squealing with use. The Reese dual cam is a proven design. Due to the price the Hensley Arrow is unobtanium So, do you like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry?
alexramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #24
sconner

My 2cents
I've been running the Reese DC with trunion bars for several years with my Passport 2920 with a 2000 Silverado 1500. Absolutely zero sway, quieter than standard friction types, and easy to hook up. Admittedly more costly than some of the friction type setups, but the cost is justified by the performance in my opinion.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #25
KSH

Best is easy actually, if you also want sway control get a propride hitch.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #26
cvin

agree on the propride

But since i cannot afford one we have the blue ox and am very pleased with it
Very quiet and using it with the straptek system my setup has been very good with no sway issues etc

Turns great etc
Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #27
theeyres

Of you want a really easy one that would be a great combo with your rig check out the Anderson.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
agree on the propride

But since i cannot afford one we have the blue ox and am very pleased with it
Very quiet and using it with the straptek system my setup has been very good with no sway issues etc

Turns great etc
I'm in the same boat with you....Blue Ox Sway Pro and StrapTek pullups. I've been extremely happy with that setup and I have a 34 1/2' Tow Behind Toy Hauler. I'm dealing with a tongue weight in the 1360 lb range using 1500 lb spring bars. And.....no disconnecting when backing up.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #29
MVBrown

Short of a Hensley Arrow... Reese - Strait-Line with Dual Cam control. Best Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway system out there.
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #30
MVBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Reese WD with Dual Cam Sway Control
Equalizer
Blue Ox SwayPro

Three good choices. No clear winner.

I am not a fan of the friction bar sway controllers. They're finicky to adjust properly so they'll actually work, and they need to be set and adjusted every time you hook up. There is also a lot of debate on whether or not they are even effective on trailers longer than 21' or so. No clear answer on that, BTW. And they should be loosened before backing up which is another "thing to remember" every time you maneuver the rig.

I like the Reese DC best because of the strong detent action that uses the tongue weight to stop sway before it starts. Once it is installed and adjusted, there's no further adjusting needed. Just take the same number of links each time that you hook up and off you go.

The Equalizer and Blue Ox rate about equally in my view. The sway control is more based on friction or spring action and they are both "set and forget" as long as you hook up the same way each time.

I still have a complete Reese WD system less the DC part. If we ever move from a fiver back to a standard TT, I'd just pickup the DC kit and heavier trunnion bars.
Short of a Hensley Arrow... Yes the Reese - Strait-Line with Dual Cam control. Best Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway system out there.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #31
kinggartk

What do you guys think about the Husky TS Centerline? I have that for my newly acquired Bullet. Have only towed around 40 miles so far. Seems pretty good to me.

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #32
MVBrown

The issue with these types of Sway Control systems is that they act After the fact to Dampen sway. Rather than acting Real Time to counteract the sway. With the Husky system. By the time a big gust of wind has hit you in a canyon. It's too late...

Watch this to understand how these two different systems work.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #33
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrown View Post
The issue with these types of Sway Control systems is that they act After the fact to Dampen sway. Rather than acting Real Time to counteract the sway. With the Husky system. By the time a big gust of wind has hit you in a canyon. It's too late...

Watch this to understand how these two different systems work.
I hear what the guy is saying...but I don't understand how the Husky does not provide active sway control. I'm new to towing, but I understand physics pretty well. The husky Centerline hitch seems to be exerting a constant "Centering" force due to the design of the sway bars.

If you have ever hooked up a Husky Centerline hitch, you know the force you need to employ just to get the bars into place. I don't really see how the Husky Sway Control couldn't be considered "Active" or "Real Time" Sway Control.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #34
MVBrown

What is commonly misunderstood by folks (through no fault of their own) is that the difference between Weight Distribution, and Sway Control are two different things. The spring load on the bars does nothing for anti-sway. The purpose of the bars (springs) is to shift the hitch weight to the front and ahead of the rear axle. This has nothing to do with sway control. On a standard system like most people have. There are these dampeners that clamp around the bars. That is the anti-sway part. That type of system works by "dampening" sway after it has occurred. So the trailer is already swaying, and we are trying to dampen what is happening after the fact. The dual cam system works by opposing sway before it can begin. So it is physically pushing back against it. As opposed to trying to dampen the effects of it. I had this same system on my last RV, and we never felt sway. One time we thought we felt it going thru a canyon, but because the system works so well. We couldn't tell. It was like "Hey! I think I just felt some sway!". This was after 4 years of RVing. Any system is better than nothing at all, and the Dual Cam not only cost more, but also has to be installed by precisely drilling the frame. Which may be beyond most folks ability. So I'm just saying that the difference is between dampening and preventing.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #35
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrown View Post
What is commonly misunderstood by folks (through no fault of their own) is that the difference between Weight Distribution, and Sway Control are two different things. The spring load on the bars does nothing for anti-sway. The purpose of the bars (springs) is to shift the hitch weight to the front and ahead of the rear axle. This has nothing to do with sway control. On a standard system like most people have. There are these dampeners that clamp around the bars. That is the anti-sway part. That type of system works by "dampening" sway after it has occurred. So the trailer is already swaying, and we are trying to dampen what is happening after the fact. The dual cam system works by opposing sway before it can begin. So it is physically pushing back against it. As opposed to trying to dampen the effects of it. I had this same system on my last RV, and we never felt sway. One time we thought we felt it going thru a canyon, but because the system works so well. We couldn't tell. It was like "Hey! I think I just felt some sway!". This was after 4 years of RVing. Any system is better than nothing at all, and the Dual Cam not only cost more, but also has to be installed by precisely drilling the frame. Which may be beyond most folks ability. So I'm just saying that the difference is between dampening and preventing.
Not trying to argue...just want to point out one reason why I think the Husky actually DOES provide Active Sway control:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...y/HT32218.html

Quote below is copied from the Website link above:

"Dependent Sway Control
Weight Distribution Built-In Sway Control

The Husky Center Line TS is a weight distribution system that works to keep your trailer in line with your tow vehicle to help prevent sway before it begins. Most of this work is achieved in the system head, which is responsible for about 75 percent of the tension in the system. Because the Center Line TS has so much tension in the head that holds the trailer steady at the connection point rather than relying on the frame brackets to keep the trailer in line, there is less popping and shifting while you drive. This weight distribution system is also noticeably quieter than similar models, which depend mostly on the steel-on-steel friction of the spring bars in the frame brackets to prevent sway.

The spring bars attach to the trailer frame with fixed, sturdy steel brackets. They sit on top of the brackets instead of being suspended by chains like the bars that are on traditional weight distribution systems. The chain suspensions typically allow a good deal of side-to-side play in the system. The Center Line TS brackets eliminate that unwanted movement of the spring bars to better hold your trailer in line. In addition, the Center Line TS brackets create the steel-on-steel friction discussed earlier, which chain suspension systems are incapable of doing. When each spring bar on the Center Line TS system moves forward or backward, or side to side, it rubs along the bracket and creates friction. The resistance created by this action limits the movement of the spring bar, thus preventing further side-to-side movement of the trailer. So, while the Center Line TS's system head prevents most of the sway before it starts, the frame brackets create a backup system to help prevent any additional movement."

Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexramsey View Post
Like most things there is no "best". I liked the E-qual-i-zer because it is ridiculously easy to use and very effective. All the hitches seem to do some squealing with use. The Reese dual cam is a proven design. Due to the price the Hensley Arrow is unobtanium So, do you like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry?
LOL! 4 year old thread.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
LOL! 4 year old thread.
Yup, the more things change the more they remain the same......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #38
MVBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
LOL! 4 year old thread.
Yeah but some poor sap like me might be looking for this information one day...
Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #39
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
What do you guys think about the Husky TS Centerline? I have that for my newly acquired Bullet. Have only towed around 40 miles so far. Seems pretty good to me.
That's what I have. Over the last 2 seasons I've towed maybe 15000 miles and I'm very happy with the Husky. I was less that thrilled at first because the dealer didn't do a real good job of setting it up. The Husky service department sent me a work sheet to fill out and they returned with how it should be setup. They were right.
One of the "L" pins broke. Husky quickly sent me 2 new ones free.
Good advice, good service.

Husky Centerline TS is, I guess, a middle of the road hitch. You can spend more or less and maybe get better or not as good but as I said, I'm happy with it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #40
Jetfixer03

I second Anderson. Quiet, easy, no hassles backing up, and I think it does a fantastic job with sway control. Granted, my 19' ultra light is an easy tow, but in gusty conditions or passing oncoming semis Ive yet felt anything uncomfortable. It may not be the best choice for a large trailer, but for me it's been great.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote