Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
ishoot

Help on towing options

Perhaps someone could guide me to a resource on towing. We are cosidering buying a 30-34' Montana and can't decide what to pull it with. The choices of course are gas or diesel and duellie or single axle. We would perfer a single for the conveiance of driving w/o the tralier. We have looked at the Ford V10 gas in the 250 or 350 version. I understand that a diesel has more torque but fuel and maintance costs are much higher. Duellies are better for stability and safety but are a pain to park and get through drive throughs. I appricate the help from people who have been there and done that.Not from some salesman. Thank you
ishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot View Post
Perhaps someone could guide me to a resource on towing. We are cosidering buying a 30-34' Montana and can't decide what to pull it with. The choices of course are gas or diesel and duellie or single axle. We would perfer a single for the conveiance of driving w/o the tralier. We have looked at the Ford V10 gas in the 250 or 350 version. I understand that a diesel has more torque but fuel and maintance costs are much higher. Duellies are better for stability and safety but are a pain to park and get through drive throughs. I appricate the help from people who have been there and done that.Not from some salesman. Thank you
I'm currently pulling with a duallie with an 8' bed. It's about to get traded in on a Ford F350 Super Duty with a gas engine, single rear wheels, 6.5' bed, and four wheel drive. The duallie is a nice tow vehicle, but a terrible daily driver. The new Fords have some very impressive payload ratings in a SRW configuration and I think that is where I want to be.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Javi

Many things go into choosing a tow vehicle one of them should be lifestyle.. If you live in a big city and frequent businesses with drive through lanes it can be difficult with a dually but other than that all it requires to park a dually is space, you just have to park in the outer parking; no more close to the front door stuff.. Out side of the above inconvenience using a dually for everyday is not any worse than using any other crew cab pickup and the stability will more than make up for that.

As to diesel over gas... in my experience the diesel is a winner over gas unless you are one of those that drive less than 10 miles every day and only tow a half dozen times a year.. Fuel expense both towing and empty is a wash in most cases.. My 6.7 is getting 16 in town and 22-23 on the highway with 12-14 towing, try that with a gas rig... I did last year and it don't happen.. (I went back to diesel) Maintenance is a little higher but the intervals are greater too, and of course if you blow an engine the cost is more for the diesel but if you take care of the maintenance the odds of blowing up are very low.. I've got over 350K towing with diesels and have never spent more than $250 on repairs other than normal oil and filter changes and that was a throttle cable that broke..

If I were going to tow a trailer on a regular basis that weighed over 6K with a large frontal area, you couldn't give me a gasser... and If I were towing a 5'er over 10K I'd not look at a SWR unless there was a gun at my head..
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
muddynoll

Javi is right on the money here. I came to the same conclusion earlier this year but did it through process of elimination 2 campers,2 hitches and 2 trucks 3 years later. Lol Choose wisely.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Jim W

Another vote on a diesel equipped tow vehicle is the ease of filling up the TV with the camper attached. What most users do not think about is the ability to fill-up the TV when needed.

I have towed with both type of vehicles a 6L gas 2500HD Chevy SB and a 6.7L 2500HD RAM Mega Cab SB trucks.

When I tried to fill up the gas engine TV that was only getting about 7 to 8 MPG’s with a 24 gallon tank, we had to plan our stops will in advance. The reason is that most stations are not designed for a 53 ft long Truck and Camper combination to fit in the gas islands. Look at the designs of most retailers and their layout of the gas islands, there are designed for cars and trucks without long trailers attached to them.

Now if you are using a diesel engine TV you can fill up at the truck diesel islands. These are design to allow a semi truck and trailer to fill-up. As an example we just return from a trip to Tybee Island GA, were we traveling close to 350 miles a day and using truck stops to fill-up at. We were filling up at least once a day never un-hooking the trailer from the truck (my truck has a 34 gallon fuel tank getting 10 to 11 mpg’s). We could not even attempt this with the old Chevy and the 6L gas engine.

Just another thought on why a diesel TV is better.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

WELL Congradulations this will stir up the hornets nest I do understand where you are coming from. i do own diesels and a srw and a drw. the daully tows better hands down. and yes it is a pain i a drive through and some parking lots. maintanance on the diesels has been minamal at best. i see a far amount of trucks at my shop even though i work on saabs and volvo 90% of the times. but the few gassers i do are more needy than the oil burnners except the ford 6.0. if you don't tow alot of miles or then the gas unit will be fine. long haul it is diesel hands down. think about it over the road trucks are not gas! but whatever you purchace. just make sure it can tow what you want safely including stopping and take care of it and you will be ok! good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
mhs4771

Don't short change your self on the TV. Sure you're looking at 30' to 34' Montana (think the shortest was 34' but most Montanas are now closer to 40) but what happens when you see that shiney 3402 or 3900 that are slightly over 40' and with a gross of 16K to 17K. That gasser will be down in the 5 or 6 MPG and big hills, well another story. If you get dually you will have very little to worry about when you're 5er shopping.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Philip Saran

Here is another vote for the diesel truck, what ever brand you favor.
My Ford F350 has the 6.0 and yes it has had it's problems, but overall
it tows great, I get 10-12 mpg towing and it is able to stop my load.

No gasser that I know of has any type of exhaust braking help at all.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
rhagfo

Don't understand wanting to go to gas from diesel. That 02 Cummins is one of the most fuel effacement low maintenance diesels out there.
I am sure you will soon regret going back to gas for towing with any Montana hills will be an issue. The DRW when bigger is almost a requirement for stability.
If you daily drive this rig you will get use to the size and parking and driving even in the city will not be an issue.
Fuel cost, do the math at .40 cents a gallon (sounds like a lot) diesel is still only 10% more than gas in fill up cost, and gets between 10% to 50%+ in fuel mileage. The issues most have with the size of their TV is that they only drive when towing, besides the sitting being bad for the TV, if you drive a small car daily then get in the BIG truck it feels really big.
I daily drive my 01 Quad cab Long Bed, and just don't have any issues with traffic and parking can parallel park in some tight spots, as for parking lots reverse is my best friend. This also get you use to using your mirrors for backing up.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
fla-gypsy

Aside from getting a TV adequate for towing the weight you will be pulling it is a very personal choice. I would never own a diesel and all the testimonials in the world about power and efficiency would ever change my mind after spending a little time reading about the nightmares some have expereinced. It's just not worth the headaches to me. My 09 F-250 with a 6.8L V-10 pulls my 10k TT effortlessly and perfectly suits my needs.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
mhs4771

And we are to believed that Gas engines never have any problems??? For every one post you read of Diesel problems there are hundreds out there without a single problem. It all comes down to what you're pulling and how you use it. We put on a lot of miles and have a heavy rig so Diesel is our only option. If your pulling light and only go a few times a year, yea go with gas. This is all part of what makes the world go round, different trucks for different folks.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
audio1der

I can't imagine pulling anything as long/heavy as you say you're looking at with a gasser.
Even if the stated capacities of diesels are stretched by mfgr's, they're still higher than those of gas.
If it were my money I'd look real hard at a SRW 3500/350.

My $.02
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot View Post
Been talking to either some one who has never owned one or owned one of the bad Ford 6.0!!
Sure diesels do cost a bit more to maintain, but not a lot more maybe 10%.

I think you will find that fuel cost are lower, it may cost 10% more at the pump, but a diesel will easily get 10% better fuel economy than a gasser daily driving and up to 100% better pulling, likely 30% to 50% better.
The smallest Montana is about 11,000# empty, and about 14,000# loaded, a gasser will likely pull it but it will not be a pleasant experience.

I went from a Ford F250 7.5 liter (460) gasser to a Cummins 5.9 (360) with 100 cu. in. less displacement the Cummins tows way stronger!!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
alien_scones

I don't want to step in a big pile of brand-x vs brand-y, just would like to solicit opinions and experience on gas-vs-diesel.

My observations in shopping used motorcoach RVs, in gassers the engine has a limited lifetime, often mentioned in for-sale listings as "fresh rebuild" or new engine, where as I rarely see a "fresh rebuild" or "new engine" in diesel RV used listings.

I admit trucks and RVs are apples and oranges, but could this be something to base an opinion on?

b-t-w have yet to purchase motor coach. very happy with our TT Laredo 300RB. Even after the purchase, we never stop "shopping"

best regards
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_scones View Post
I don't want to step in a big pile of brand-x vs brand-y, just would like to solicit opinions and experience on gas-vs-diesel.

My observations in shopping used motorcoach RVs, in gassers the engine has a limited lifetime, often mentioned in for-sale listings as "fresh rebuild" or new engine, where as I rarely see a "fresh rebuild" or "new engine" in diesel RV used listings.

I admit trucks and RVs are apples and oranges, but could this be something to base an opinion on?

b-t-w have yet to purchase motor coach. very happy with our TT Laredo 300RB. Even after the purchase, we never stop "shopping"

best regards
Won't be too much brand X verse Y, but a little Gas verses Diesel, I have a 01 Cummins Dodge, I pull an 11k 5er with ease, truck only has 253,000 miles. This truck is a 5 speed, but has 3.55 gears and pulls hill s at speed, I don't get pulled down until I hit about 7 percent + grade.
There are many the get 200,000 miles plus out of a gasser, but, I still have 100,000 miles to "Mean Rebuild" mileage, with many 1,000,000 engines and trucks out there.
I daily drive my TV at 7,400#, and get about 14 mpg city, 20 highway, and 12 towing the 11K 5er.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
billstuart

Had 'em both - it's diesel for me

Like they say in the car business, there's an *** for every seat. I towed my first TT, a 1963 19.5' Kenskill with a 1977 Buick Estate Wagon powered by an Olds 403. My next combo was a 24' Nomad and a GMC Safari mini van with a 4.3L V-6, which is basically a Chevy 350 minus 2 cylinders. In RV parks, guys would give a puzzled look and say 'that tows that?' in disbelief. I passed more than one of them going up hills and mountains. The only problem I had with either of those TV's was their cooling system capacities. My first diesel rig was an '86 Suburban with the old naturally aspirated 6.2L towing a 30' Fireball. Talk about slow! In 1992, I bought a new Prowler 35' bunkhouse and a new Suburban to tow it with. That Sub was a 2500 4x4 w/a 454 and 4.10 gears. It did a good job, but it was thirsty - about 10 mpg empty, 5-8 towing.

In 1994 I went from RVing to boating and over about 15 years, I owned 4 boats between 32 & 42 feet, all twin-engined. One was gas powered, three diesel. I would never own another gas powered boat over 30'. The work that a marine engine does at 15 knots is similar to towing your trailer up a mountain all day long. A properly maintained gas engine in a boat will last 1000 - 2000 hours in most cases and when it's done, it's probably not worth rebuilding. A marine diesel can be expected to go up to 10,000 hours between rebuilds.

So when we decided to buy a 5'er earlier this year and needed a truck, I didn't even consider looking at, let alone buying a gasser. Our Alpine weighs close to twice what my 35' Prowler did and I am amazed with the way our F-250 handles it. That 6.4L is a little thirsty, but the power and torque are incredible. When you're traveling, whether it's a weekend get away or a months long excursion, you're out for relaxation and enjoyment. The last thing you need is the frustration of a tow vehicle that can't competently do the job you need it to do. Buy a truck that will do the toughest job you will ask it to do and do it well and you won't ever regret your purchase. Buy one that just barely or almost does it and you'll spend your RVing time frustrated and regretful.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #17
audio1der

I don't disagree with anything Bill said, but think many of us have to consider lifestyle as well. When we were looking for a TV to replace our Dodge Caravan/family vehicle, I struggled with going to a 2500 (with Hemi) but the rough ride, additional height and general "4x4ness" of it kept me away as 90% of the time it will drive our kids to school or pick up pieces of furniture.
A big diesel may often make the most sense towing, but you have to balance how you plan on using it.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
mhs4771

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
I don't disagree with anything Bill said, but think many of us have to consider lifestyle as well. When we were looking for a TV to replace our Dodge Caravan/family vehicle, I struggled with going to a 2500 (with Hemi) but the rough ride, additional height and general "4x4ness" of it kept me away as 90% of the time it will drive our kids to school or pick up pieces of furniture.
A big diesel may often make the most sense towing, but you have to balance how you plan on using it.
I have to agree, Diesels are designed to get started in the AM and run all day working hard. If you try to use one for short hops to the 7Eleven and the video store you are more than likely to have problems.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
ls1mike

Would I like a Diesel? Sure, but for me, my truck is a fourth vehicle. It is a 2002 with 30,600 miles. I am not a truck guy so it tows maybe 2000 miles on heavy year and maybe goes to Lowes or the dump. It handles my 7500 lbs trailer just fine.

My last truck pulled a small fiver at 7000 lbs and before that, the original owner towed an 88 32 foot fifth wheel with it all over the crounty. It was an 89 GMC 1 ton, 454. In total when I sold it, it had 230,000 miles on it. I had to do very little to it.

Whatever you do it has to work for you. My gassers are fine for me. If I were to full time or daily drive my truck I would most likely have diesel. I just couldn't justify the extra cost for it to sit on the side of the house with the trailer.

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I have to agree, Diesels are designed to get started in the AM and run all day working hard. If you try to use one for short hops to the 7Eleven and the video store you are more than likely to have problems.
I think either I chose my words poorly or you interpreted what I typed differently than I intended. I agree with you 100%.